PDA

View Full Version : Baldwin Chevrolet and Motion Performance

Dan 68 Chevy II
04-15-2001, 10:11 PM
I was just wondering when Baldwin Chevrolet and Motion Performance formed their partnership,called Baldwin Auto Company,better known as Baldwin Motion in the 1960's,how did Joel Rosen sell these cars after 1972 when Baldwin Chevrolet was sold or closed.I know you need a dearlers liscense to sell cars to the general public.Did they possibly have a seperate dealers liscense when they formed Baldwin Auto Company,known to everybody as Baldwin Motion. I would assume this since Joel Rosen is a very intellgent man and would have realized the risk and liability's of building these mega hp cars to the general public who are not professional race car drivers.I would also think Baldwin Chevrolet knew Joel was buiding these street rockets and sure they could make money with their Baldwin Motion partnership or as some refer to it as the Baldwin Auto Company that they must of talked to an attorney and probably rec'd another Dealers liscense under possibly another Trade name so as to not affect the original Baldwin Chevrolet and Motion Performance established businesses.So what Dealers Liscense did Joel use after the Closeing of Baldwin Chevrolet.I found a real nice picture of Joel Rosens Business ,showing some real nice 70's Motion Trans Am. Thanks and Happy easter to all

harrythor
04-24-2003, 11:40 PM
I know that he makes my car at Iceland 1977,with his dealer her,they Joel Rosen and his employe Skippy take a race her 1980.

MadMike
04-26-2003, 03:23 AM
1967. Baldwin Auto and Motion Performance were separate entities.
Prior to 67, Joel was doing his own thing under the Motion Performance name.... I believe as early as 1958.
I think his 1st "creation" was a 58 vette.

In 1972 when Baldwin Auto went out, joel still got cars through area dealers and tweaked them. Then he had some
"problems" circa 1975. After that, many of his cars were exported, as evidenced by the fellow in Iceland. He was
probably also the person who really put the "For offroad use only" wording on anything he did. This was mainly
to avoid the federal jackboot. I doubt joel had any problems selling a car to some idiot who can't drive. Like they
say - a fool and his money is soon parted. That's the other guys problem.

Stefano
04-28-2003, 02:16 AM
The Motion Invoices I have for 'Rat Bird', from 1978 Show Motion Car Service, Inc. A Deposit check dated 5/9/78 prior to the New Car having been delivered was written to Motion Performance Parts, Inc. and cashed under the same name.

JoeC
04-28-2003, 12:34 PM
I asked Joel about close date of Baldwin Chevy and he can only remember that it was around 72-73. Going by old magazine ads I have a 1972 ad still
listing Baldwin Chevy as pick up point so it had to be late 72 or 73.
I tried the Baldwin library and town clerk. I even went to the town
clerk and tried to look it up but did not find a close date.
I did find that someone kept the name Baldwin
Auto registered into the 80s but I think they just sold used cars.
I have a car Joel built called a 87 Motion Monte Carlo SS Iroc Aero Coupe with supercharged 350. Joel bought the 87 Monte Carlo new from Lion Chevy in Baldwin NY but said they were only
in business a short time and there was another dealer in the old Baldwin
building before then.

JoeC
04-28-2003, 12:50 PM
The Government smack down on Motion Performance was 1974. Federal agents came to the shop armed with car magazines and Clean Air Laws.
I think it was the 9 sec 454 Motion Vega that got their panties in a bunch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

One Car Craft article was called "King Kong is Living on Long Island"
subtitled ..."If the thought of a 454 Vega dosen't excite you, go get a do-it-yourself H-bomb kit" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

SuperCars
04-28-2003, 02:04 PM
Madmike is correct, in that Baldwin Chevrolet=Baldwin Auto Company. The name on the GM build sheet on my 69 Baldwin Motion Chevelle: is Baldwin Auto Company Inc, Merrick & Central, Baldwin NY. I believe Joe C is correct, as confirmed by Joel that it was 72-73 when they went out, but the name was kept registered through 1980.

My personal opinion on Motion Cars, is that any Motion whether it be Chevy, Pontiac, or any other Manufacturer, as well as any car from any dealership other than Baldwin, are enhanced by virtue that they were built by Joel At Motion Performance. Not because they happened to originate from Baldwin per say. I won't deny that Baldwin had the notoriety and is more recognized in valuation though. But any car that is documented through Motion Invioces, and Joel is of great value no matter where that car originated from.

A similar example is with Dick Harrell cars. Harrell cars came from other dealers besides Gibb Chevrolet, such as Bill Allen Chev, Branine Chev, and from Courtesy Chevrolet; but all Harrell cars are valuable because Harrell built them, not necessarily by where the car originated from.

Bottom line is, when it comes to Motion cars, no matter where the car originated; Motion Performance & Joel Rosen is the "Legend", and a living Legend at that. Really special is that he is alive and well, and is going to be at the next Supercar Reunion.

Chevy454
04-28-2003, 02:19 PM
Excellent post, Kevin...my thoughts exactly!

It's the end product (Motion) that counts.

JoeC
04-28-2003, 02:35 PM
Joel may have still used the name Baldwin Motion for a short time after Baldwin Chevy closed. It still was valid in a way because Motion Performance was still located on Sunrise Highway in Baldwin LI NY. I have an article by Marty Schorr that was writen after 1973 that still called them Baldwin Motion cars but most of the ads use the name Motion Perfromance after 1973. As far as Dan's question on the post 1973 cars not sold by real car dealership. I would guess that it may not have been a problem. What may have happened was Joel took a deposit on the new car then purchased it in the new owner's name from whatever source was available. Then the car was modified at the Motion shop as if it was repair or custom work such as a race car, show car, or export car. This is just a guess as I have not checked into it.