PDA

View Full Version : How many 1969 COPO camaros were built with the Rally Sport Package?

hondo_sinatra
04-25-2001, 08:31 PM
I was looking through some old pictures I had taken years ago
and ran across a 1969 camaro that was supposedly a factory 427 car with the R/S package.I went to see this car in carrol county Maryland in 1989 or it may have been right over the line in PA,I forget.
The car was hugger orange and was a auto but had been converted to a 4spd at one time.It was in great shape but The owner did not have any paperwork at the time but was convinced since it had a curved neck radiator.The engine and trans were long gone.I was kind of put off by the guy since he had no documentation of anykind.
Has anyone heard of this car or any other
COPO R/S cars?
Thank you,nice site
HS

COPO
04-25-2001, 10:21 PM
I know of one COPO RS car. It is also a double COPO. (9561/9737). I am sure there are others.

COPO PETE
04-25-2001, 10:40 PM
There was at least six that came to Canada. I'm sure there's one or two more we don't know of.
Peter

hondo_sinatra
04-26-2001, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the replys so far
COPO does the car you know of sound like the one I described? I have not seen or heard of the car since then.
Im guessing it was fake,if it was real it would have been in all the magazines since it was Hugger orange with black standard interior and a R/S COPO,the body did look good,I would have offered 3-4K as is if he would have taken it but he was so sure it was the real deal,the paint was original.
and it did not have any rust,I think it was a race car that was stored inside most of it's life.
If I remember I think he did say he pulled the interior out but did not find a build sheet. Im guessing since it was a race car it probably went through alot of engines and trans and several radiators.

COPO
04-26-2001, 03:51 AM
No, the one I am thinking about is a different car. It is blue w/black custom int. There certainly aren't many around.

Rowdy Rat
04-26-2001, 01:30 PM
There was a similar 1969 RS COPO that was in York, PA for a number of years during the 1990s (it has since been sold). Sounds like the same car; originally an automatic, but no engine or transmission with the car. This one was Hugger Orange with a white interior though... Are you certain about the interior color? Fairly low mileage if I recall correctly, but it definitely needed restoration. It had no paperwork (as you mentioned), but the owner at that time seemed to have a good idea as to the ownership history and was confident that it was a COPO. He certainly got COPO money when he sold it...

I took Brian (bkhpah) over to look at the car when he was in town a few years back. He is certainly more knowledgeable about Camaros than I am... perhaps he can comment as to the condition/originality of this car.

Regards,

Stan Falenski

hondo_sinatra
04-26-2001, 03:21 PM
Yes that probably is the same car.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
04-26-2001, 03:38 PM
Skip's???

Rowdy Rat
04-26-2001, 08:23 PM
Marlin,

Yes, that was Skip's car. I recall that he bought the car from a gentleman in Gettysburg and had it out at Carlisle a few times trying to sell it... and that's eventually what happened a couple years ago.

I don't know who bought it or where the car went, but I seem to remember that the asking price was around $20,000.

Regards,

Stan

Kurt S
04-27-2001, 03:52 AM
I know of 3 RS COPO's, and have heard of others. Not a common car. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif

Pete,
Did you get the email I sent you the other day?

Kurt

bkhpah
04-27-2001, 10:43 AM
Skips COPO was a fair car that needed retoration. I do not know what happened to the car since it was sold. There was an old Super Chevy Magazine from the late 80's I beleive that had a Daytona yellow COPO from the Harrisburg area featured. It had a RS grill ect but I am not certain it was a real RS. It had centerline wheels and very dark tintned glass in the feature. A RS COPO showed up at the Camaro National in the Poconos around 1996. It was owned by a Corvette NCRS person. It was a super original car. Stan remember? It was one of the best original unrestored cars I have seen. I also saw Craig Jacksons Cortez Silver ZL/1 RS...BKH

Rowdy Rat
04-27-2001, 01:54 PM
Brian,

Was the RS COPO at Pocono the Azure Turquoise car? I remember you (and others) telling me about it, but I don't recall actually seeing the car. Supposed to be a really nice car from everything that I've heard.

Regards,

Stan

bkhpah
04-27-2001, 03:23 PM
Thats the one, I think he was from Jersey. Anyone remember the car?..BKH

Chris396
04-28-2001, 07:35 AM
Anybody know anything about the Daytona Yellow RS COPO with Yellow Houndstooth that was advertised in Hemmings a while ago?

COPO PETE
04-29-2001, 05:35 AM
The Daytona Yellow RS is a Canadian car with the GM documentation from Canada. It was restored in Calgary and was sold and presently resides in Detroit. It's real!
Peter

Chris396
04-29-2001, 10:43 AM
Cool. Hopefully one of the magazines will do a feature so I can see it.

Kurt S
04-30-2001, 04:14 AM
Sounds like Heartbeat Jim's car.

COPO PETE
04-30-2001, 11:04 AM
Bingo