PDA

View Full Version : Help on gas tank restoration

copo69
04-29-2001, 06:15 PM
I've got a '69 Biscayne and gas tank is in bad shape. Although it's not rusted through anywhere the tank has small rust particles in it. It would be best to replace it with a NOS tank as no one repros these tanks, but a NOS tank doesn't seem to exist. Any suggestions on how to clean tank? I don't know about boiling out tank as rubber neck is intregal part of tank and if it's destroyed. I see the do it yourself "kits" for doing this but I've heard of problems. I've also seen the RENU process but again I'm still leary. Brian, Mickey, or any of you ever ran into this problem? Finding stuff for these cars is tough. Thanks for your help. Greg

bkhpah
04-29-2001, 09:29 PM
I have never had to find a tank that wasn't available. You may try some of the Eastwood products. They seem to be very good at what they do..BKH

Mr70
04-30-2001, 02:05 AM
There is a company in Maryland called Quanta.The sell Detailed restoration parts for all Chevrolet cars including Corvette.I have an old Catalog but they sell gas tanks for all the Chevrolet Big cars.Try 1-800-Belts88.They are very good.

micky69396
04-30-2001, 02:31 AM
Quanta does not have a tank for you. I already looked. I know what you are going through looking for parts for your car. I have a 68 Biscayne and some stuff is a chore. Give me a couple days to call a couple sources on some NOS parts and see what I can come up with. I have sent tanks to a place that does the tin/lead process to them and they look pretty good when done, just not NOS looking because the welds are covered etc. I will look up their # also. Micky

[Edited by micky69396 (04-29-2001 at 09:31 PM).]

70 copo
05-07-2001, 10:41 AM
Chevy made alot of these tanks. Try a search of desert salvage yards first. You could find a better tank on the used market. while at the 1999 Barriett-Jackson I toured two salvage yards that specialized in old parts. There were several nearly complete biscanes in stock, and as I recall they were in excellent shape. The owner also had several buildings stocked wuth rust free parts- including tanks. Happy hunting!

mike grey
05-08-2001, 05:54 AM
send your tank to redi strip. cost for cleaning the tank in and out is approximately 100.00. if the tank is nice enough you won't have to reline with an eastwood product. please go to http:\\www.redistrip.com.

rbernat
05-09-2001, 03:17 PM
try contacting phil reed's classic chevrolet.
a few years ago i picked up a nos tank for my biscayne.
(816)587-1109
rich