PDA

View Full Version : Yenko Vegas. Does anyone know?

Jack Markham
05-01-2001, 03:00 AM
I'm just looking for any information about the Yenko Vegas. I know that there are a few out there, but I haven't heard much about them. Any info would be great.

JoeC
05-01-2001, 02:59 PM
I was looking through some Yenko Vega information and it appears that Yenko began to sell them in 1971 and maybe up to 1973. They were in car magazines in 1971 and I found an ad for Group 7 Filters that has a sweepstakes where they show a 1973 Yenko Turbo Stinger as the Grand Prize. I don't know if Yenko sold the Vega Stinger in 1973 or if this was a car built just for Group 7 Filters.
There was a Turbo Vega road test in Super Street Cars April 1972 that states the car ran 15.2 but Yenko told them it can get into the 14's. This car came through Hory Chevrolet in Larchmont N.Y. They said you have to get the turbo installed after you purchase the car from the dealer but Yenko planed to offer a complete Turbo car. The magazine states that the Yenko Vega was done as a COPO with special HD pistons and some other parts done at the factory. I think it was COPO 9011 OR 9711. It appears that Yenko had big plans to sell the Yenko Turbo Stinger Vega in 1972 as a complete car but the plans changed. He had the turbo kits and special valve covers and some ad on spoilers, scoops, and other parts available.
There was a reference in a Yenko parts catalog that 200 Vegas were already built at the time the catalog was published but it is not clear if they were just Vegas with stripe kits or additional modifications. From what I can tell, Yenko had problems with the GOV to get the Turbo Vega passed the emission and safety regulations then gave up on the project.

bbdon
05-02-2001, 12:16 AM
Click on the link below to see an advertisement for the Yenko Stinger Vega. This originally appeared in Car and Driver magazine, December 1971
http://www.sonic.net/bbdon/free/sting.jpg

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-02-2001, 04:50 PM
Jack;
Are you looking for other owners, cars, or info?
M

Jack Markham
05-04-2001, 03:14 AM
I'm looking for any owners,cars for sale or any information about the Yenko Vegas. At this point I am very interested in the value or worth of a Yenko Vega.

mahoy78spyder
05-31-2001, 04:26 AM
...by the way, there were two Stingers being restored by members/friends of members of this forum. The robins egg blue hatchback should be done by now since the last pic I saw of it showed off a new paint job. And the green station wagon (one of only 2 built) was in the process of being restored by someone in this forum... can't remember who. How are they both coming along? Any pics or news to share?

Ken