PDA

View Full Version : Worst fake you have ever seen?

mdaniels
05-05-2001, 12:06 AM
I got to talking with my uncle about cars we have looked at over the years and we got to talking about fake cars. I have seen several good fake supercars but the best ones that I remember are the fakes done so badly that you can only laugh when you see them.
My favorite was a SS396 chevelle all original. It was a fairly original car alright a small block 2bbl car. The guy had just put a SS396 emblem on the grill. He SWORE it was original and got mad at me when I called BS,oh i forgot to mention.....It was a 4 door.
Anyone ever see a really bad fake?

Mr70
05-05-2001, 02:16 AM
Not a huge modification,but odd none the less.
I Saw a 1970/71 SS Chevelle last summer with a 70 front end and a 71 rear end.The trim tag stated it was originally a 1971.But someone went to a lot of trouble to put a complete 1970 four headlight front end on it.Complete with 70 green colored gauges.He just paid in the 20's for the car and was furious I would even question the car.He was told by the seller that some of the early 71 cars got the 70 front end and green guages left over from the previous year.I had to giggle.

NWYENKO
05-05-2001, 06:08 PM
There is a Hugger Orange rallysport '69 Yenko Camaro with console in central Or. The sad thing about this car is, as the story goes, the guy actually paid COPO price and thinks and shows it as" real". I felt sorry for the guy and did not tell him!

bowtie3168
05-07-2001, 06:28 PM
I saw a ZL-1 at the AC show that had a Los Angeles Plant vin #.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-07-2001, 07:29 PM
I can only speak for the fake Yenko Novas, the majority of them are '71 or '72's!! I figure the least a cloner can do is start with the correct year. It really looks bad to see the charcoal canister, trunk can, different jack location, dash bezel, parking lights..... Also, most of them are painted a non-Yenko color, have buckets and consoles, 10 bolt rears ect..... At least they are easy to spot!!
M

GMH454
05-07-2001, 10:07 PM
Here in the land down under the line between fake and real is very fuzzy. We have scores of Mach mustangs including heaps of 1969 302 windsors and that very rare car the Mach 1 convertible. We once had advertised a rare 1968 Camaro SS327, a 1971 Cuda AAR, 428CJ Mustangs packing their original 390s, and a host of 435 and L-88 Vettes a 1968 440 Roadrunner, a 1968 Talledaga, and my favourite not one but two 1966 L-88 Vettes.
AND all these cars are owned by experts in their field in the hobby. Probably why my last US car is up for sale. Oh forgot we have two 1969 Yenkos and another Zl-1 (not Janes) Hey its got stripes its got to be real.

AussieVette
05-07-2001, 11:53 PM
Have to agree with you there GMH454, guess the problem down here is there are not enough people down here who truely do know what they're talking about. And because of the lack of expertise it is easier for these sharks to rip off the unsuspecting.

I remember about 5 years ago a 1971 `Cuda that was supposed to be a numbers matching 440 six pack Shaker car being sold here in Perth for about $40K. A few weeks later the new owner decoded the VIN and fender tag only to find out it was simply a 340 car.
That car was then shipped to Queensland to try and off load it...

Very annoying to hear stories like that because the problems can so easily be avoided.

I actually have no problems with faker cars, so long as the owners make it clear to everyone that it is a clone, both at shows and when in comes time to sell.