PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever see a real 1970 L-78/L-89 Chevelle?

Mr70
05-09-2001, 03:40 PM
Seeing as we may be getting more new members lately I thought I would ask if anyone knows of one.I am looking for any of the 18 Factory made L-78/L-89 Aluminum head 1970 Chevelle Super Sports.I have documented two,and would like to find any leads or storys anybody has.A few argue they ever existed,but Tonawanda records prove 18 were made for the 1970 Chevelle with 10 more as Service engines.I'm sure most bought them with the intention of Drag Racing.So can anyone share any details or possible sightings of one?

hondo_sinatra
05-09-2001, 08:55 PM
There was one I tried to buy for years in TaneyTown MD, It sat in a farmers driveway and had not been driven in years. What made me mad was the guy had no phone,no drivers license(alot of DWIs)and was broke,his family had nothing,he needed the money. He did not know it was rare just that it was a 396/375 car,the engine had been rebuilt at one time and the heads were painted orange like the block.I offered him 2500.00 which at the time was alot of money for a chevelle,At first I did not know until I decoded the blockstamp and about shit myself,I asked him if I could look it over and I did find the build sheet and confirmed it was the real deal,I put the buildsheet back under the front seat where I found it,I did not tell him.
I wrote Mark Meekins about it back in the mid 80s when I was in his Chevelle club to double check the code we were excited. The guy was killed several years later when his tractor rolled over on him and the car dissapeared. Im hoping maybe his wife pulled it in the barn,but I doubt it,when I offered him 2500 for it he went to her and said "He's got 2500,and she said sell it,he walked back over and said she wants to keep it.I guess he could not bare to part with it,it was his first car.
Next time im up that way I will stop in and see what she says.

micky69396
05-10-2001, 02:34 AM
When you say you have documented 2 do you mean you have seen paperwork on these cars or just a numbers matching type thing. I am suprised in all this time I have never seen any real paperwork show up for these cars.

Mr70
05-10-2001, 03:01 AM
I know what you are speaking of Mickey.I can not vouch for the cars originality of its drivetrain components,as anything can be stamped correctly if you know what you are doing.So by this I mean Paperwork to show this is how the factory made it.The two buildsheets I hold are authentic enough for me to believe them compared to the cars as well.I saw the originals and Xeroxed a copy for my records.The Fonts,date time code and suffix in all the boxes fit the format.One has a PoP also.Past owners were called upon as well.
I have seen three of these cars that were made by slapping on Aluminum heads.The three letter suffix code was incorrect and overlooked in those cases.

BUIZILLA
05-10-2001, 12:22 PM
Last weekend I spent 2 days going all over a '70 L78/auto Chevelle. The car is REAL, and REAL NICE looking. Red/black/black. 20,322 original miles showing. Car has build sheet intact, and everything seems to match except the distributor and alternator numbers. He has a xxx2000 distributor for it. LA built car. Car is very sound, EXCEPT the rear frame rails are a little *thin* behind the rear hump, but not real bad. Someone has repaired the frame at the rear hump lower juncture and welded a backup plate on the inside. Excellent job. New rear quarters that were superbly installed. NOS front fenders. Every gap is perfect everywhere on the car. Perfect trim and chrome. The rest of the car looks great. Restoration looks exceptional. Curb appeal is a *10*. Drives perfectly, however it needs to be properly *tuned* for max performance. Price is now 24.7k, down from 26.9k. I'm not sure what the long term ramifications are with the frame deal, as it is more cosmetic than anything.

Any idea's ???

Jim