PDA

View Full Version : Car Hunting

kiva75
05-21-2001, 02:34 PM
I know some of you guys have talked about using DMV and state records to trace cars before, unfortunately "anti-stalking laws" no prevent this from happening here in Oregon. But I have wanted to hunt down my dad's 68 Cutlass convertable (Rocket 350, auto, burgandy, black, black) for some time. All I have to go on is an old license plate number in a photo from my parents wedding. That was in 69. The car was traded in in 73 or so, when I was born for an LTD wagon (good choice dad, lol) in Memphis, Tenn. Does anyone know if Tennesse allows record searches like this? Any help appreciated, my dad is 62 and going to retire in a few years, and I thought it would be a good present for him to cruise in. I know the chances of it still existing are slim, or it's one of the numerous 442 clones, but just maybe...

Thanks,

Britt

Rat_Pack
05-22-2001, 03:08 AM
Britt, you will need the VIN from the car as Tennessee records will not bring up the license plate number that old. They changed the format of the plate sometime in the 80's and their computers will not recognize the old way of numbering. Go down to your local county clerks office and tell them you want a title search and pay them $35.00, it could be more or less depending on the county, and give them the VIN. Wait about 6 weeks and you should get a reply hopefully. I am not sure if their records will trace a car to another state if it has not been registered in Tennessee within the last 10 years. Be sure to ask as many questions as possible before handing over the money......RatPack.......