PDA

View Full Version : Just how rare/desirable is this car....

Len
06-29-2001, 02:47 AM
Hi guys... Please help: About 2 months ago I bought a really nice '69 SS396 out of El Paso and had it shipped here to Canada. It turns out it may be a rare combo, and am now in the process of trying to find out just how desirable it is in the 'real world'. It is one of those 300-Deluxe based SS's; (the 13437 Coupe model, not the post). Very plain-jane; but seems to have an optional cloth (vinyl-weave?) bench interior. Here's the kicker: It's a Daytona Yellow 4-Speed car with about 75% original paint. According to Dan Carr; there were about 1789 of the 300D SS Coupes built. I can't see many people 'cheaping out' on the 80 bucks for the Malibu upgrade, then spending 42 for the special color paint. Therefore I am guessing maybe 5 or 10 were built in this combo.
...My question is whether Mike Meuller is 'correct' in his book "Illustrated Chevelle Buyers Guide" where he rates the desirability of the 300D SS's as 5-star; same as COPO and Yenko Chevelles. I can't imagine that myself; but it is his opinion, I suppose. As Yenko (and Chevelle in general) enthusiasts; I would appreciate your opinion on the desirability/value of this car; since it may have an effect on how I restore it. It really doesn't need much; has been in a 'time capsule' since '82; actually still has original exhaust and T-3's. Eric Gardner pointed me to this site when I inquired about his exh systems. Thank you very much for your time, I appreciate any comments. Len. ([email protected])

tom406
06-29-2001, 03:10 AM
Sounds like a neat car, and one that will be a real "looker" when its done. But that being said, I don't think it will bring COPO interest or dollars. Our experience with a strippo, fully documented bench seat L-78/M-22 '69 (Charlie knows the car-red/blk vinyl top) tells me that most buyers expect buckets plus tach and gauges even though they were optional. I'd put your car between a run of the mill Malibu SS396 and a COPO as far as interest. I'm not sure it will be the equivalent of an L78 car or not. I do know most of our customers will climb over a '69 just to look at a '70, for whatever reason.

Charley Lillard
06-29-2001, 04:25 AM
I forgot I had that car for a Bit.

Mr70
06-29-2001, 01:01 PM
Rare does not mean Desirabile.
Desirability determines a price.
There were less 1969 L6 Chevelles built with A/C,then there were L-78 equipped 1969 Chevelles.Yet which do think is more desirable in todays world.
I would say restore it for you.Enjoy it.Don't restore it with how to make the biggest profit in mind.

Chevy454
06-29-2001, 01:22 PM
Len:

I am guessing it's NOT an L-78 car? If it was, needless to say that would help it a BUNCH! But, whether or not it will bring big $$$...? Basically, it all comes down to whether or not there is someone out there who wants the car and what they will give.

Now, anyone else need a vague answer to a good question!

[Edited by Chevy454 (06-29-2001 at 08:22 AM).]

Len
06-29-2001, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the input... No, it's not an L78; just a 325er; (too bad), but all orig down to the little red hose clamps on the fuel filter.
**Please don't get me wrong; I am not trying to squeeze money out of this car... it's not for sale. - The rare vs. desirable comment by mr70 is exactly why I posted this question. I'm quite sure it's rare... but does anybody want them?
According to that 'Illustrated Chevelle' book; the plainer but rarer 300D's are more "desirable" than a Malibu-based SS; but is that just the writer's opinion, or is it really true? That's really my question...
Also, like everyone, would like to know what I have; and have it properly appraised and insured. (and have something to talk about at the local shows).
Thanks for the comments!

NWYENKO
06-29-2001, 04:03 PM
Charley, is there a car out there that you haven't owned??? I think Belk has you beat with Deuces though.

Charley Lillard
06-29-2001, 11:14 PM
I know a Polecat named Kevin that has a bunch of cars I have never owned. Has anyone ever heard of a 1980 Motion Phase 3 Camaro ?

Belair62
06-30-2001, 03:39 AM
I know a guy in California with one of those Charley.Kind of an unusual car.I think the owners name is Shamu.I have a theory on rarety/desirability. They only become rare or desirable when you are looking to buy it.Once you own it they are a dime a dozen!

[Edited by Belair62 (06-29-2001 at 10:39 PM).]