PDA

View Full Version : Harrell ad-ons

pic
07-17-2001, 01:52 PM
I posted this topic here once before, but now I am in a little bit of a quandry about what to do next. I have a 68 rs/ss 396/375 which was originally tripoli turquose. Anyway, I have a work order from Dick Harrell at a Chevrolet dealership in san Jose where some minor ad-ons were made. Nothing like a full motor transplant, just a couple of performance mods. Anyway, one of the things that was installed was a Hurst shifter which has both an automatic and manual type of set up. I beleive the called it a Dual shifter. When i bought the car, the shifter was in the trunk and the guy had an old ratchet shifter installed. I was curious if I should attempt to put the dual shifter back. I know for a fact this was not original and I have never seen one at any car show. I have never even seen any Dick Harrell type of Camaro. So, if any of you "more experienced" folks have a clue as to what the correct way to proceed, I would appreciate it. It looks like a cool shifter, just a little bit oof a hassle. I tried test fitting it and it's a little longer than my stock th400 shifter plate now.

pic
07-17-2001, 08:16 PM
I still have original factory console, but i replaced a couple of worn out parts surounding the shifter. It was in bad shape when i got it. I am still hesitant about cutting it just for the look. I am sure the his and hers would be fun to drive, like having the best of both worlds.

JoeC
07-18-2001, 05:42 AM
Harrell, Yenko and others used the Hurst Dual Gate Shifter to replace the column shifters on some of their cars. The shifter was sold by Hurst as an aftermarket shifter and was also factory installed in some GTOs and 442s. It was sometimes called a "His and Hers" shifter. Did your car originally have the factory console? You may have to cut the console to make it fit. There is an ad on this site at http://www.yenko.net/oldads/dhad2.jpg

[Edited by JoeC (07-17-2001 at 12:42 PM).]