PDA

View Full Version : Camaro biting the dust!!

whitetop
07-24-2001, 12:10 AM
I snapped this picture of a '69 SS 396 Camaro that the owner says he will restore some day-been hearing that for 15+ years. I pass this car about 2-3 times a year when I have to go see one of my clients along the route. The guy I believe bought it brand new or when it was a year old. Car is not frost green but burnished brown. Still has original 396, not sure if 325 or 350 horse. 4 speed, 12 bolt etc. What is neat about this car is everything is original other than the chrome reverse wheels and SW gauges. Still has original carb, distr, exhaust, acleaner etc. When I saw the car many years ago it could of been saved bit no longer. Every panel needs replaced even the roof. (You can put your hand down between the chrome molding on the roof). Can barely see the chrome louvers on the hood. Car gets moved every 3-4 years when the weeds finally overtake the car.
Oh well makes all the other ones worth more I guess.
whitetop

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1314220&a=9759268&p=52061413

[Edited by whitetop (07-23-2001 at 07:10 PM).]

COPO
07-24-2001, 12:36 AM
What a shame. Unfortunately, there are many cars that have suffered the same fate. Thanks for sharing.

Chevy454
07-24-2001, 12:42 AM
Yeah, unfortunately this is pretty common. We can only hope this becomes a rarity, which I doubt it will.

MikeA
07-24-2001, 11:32 AM
This Camaro looks like a good candidate for the "Cars in Barns" site. It is unfortunate that the owner will not restore the car or sell it.

bowtie3168
07-24-2001, 03:03 PM
This stuff happens more than we think that it does. I used to drive past a '69 Camaro (not a rare SS or COPO car) in Colts Neck NJ everyday, the owner had bought it new and enjoyed the car and grew old and "passed on."His wife never moved the car again, she turned down every offer on the car. One day I saw the car broken in two on the back of a "Red Bank Recycling Center" roll back going to the crusher, the lady had past away too and the family junked the car. Well, it is her right but what a bummer.

Andrew

whitetop
07-25-2001, 11:49 PM
Breaking News
I just bought this car for $100 with good title. Does anyone have a good rust free 6 cylinder or 307 car? Title not important. And oh by the way where do you find those body "restamping" kits at... And where are all the "hidden" body identification numbers located?
whitetop

[Edited by whitetop (07-25-2001 at 06:49 PM).]

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-26-2001, 01:14 PM
'Body Restamping Kit'?? 'Hidden' ID #'s??

Why worry about that stuff, just make it a 'day 2' car with wild paint and chrome! Or part it out.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-08-2001, 01:32 PM
Whitetop;
Did you decide what you are going to do with this car??
M

Charley Lillard
08-08-2001, 01:47 PM
Marlin... I figured he was just Joking about buying the car and wanting to do a rebody.

SuperCars
08-08-2001, 02:19 PM
Maybe he will turn it into a Yenko Deuce Clone. It doesn't seem to matter what car you start with.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-08-2001, 02:41 PM
Oh well, I thought he actually bought the car.

I like the deuce clone idea, maybe slick nick in NJ would buy it and then advertise it as all original!
M

whitetop
08-08-2001, 03:16 PM
Marlin
Yes I was just joking. My posting was at the same time the "Nick" stuff and restamped rear end post were going on.
Nest time I will make a comment on April 1st to make it a little more obvious.
The owner of the Camaro will never sell the car. It will rot away to nothing.
Dave

Belair62
08-08-2001, 10:23 PM
See you had to bring up Nick again. Now Clill is gonna get out the used Alpo again....

Dave Rifkin
08-28-2001, 12:07 PM
There is a 1969 Trans Am in similar shape about 10 miles from my house. It's sitting in the lot of a local body shop. My neighbor stopped by to check it out and the owner said that it was not for sale. It's a crime to see cars like this just rot away because some guy won't part with it.

bullitt
09-02-2001, 06:12 PM
My brother-in-law told me there's this run down lot in Houston. It's in a bad part of town with overgrown weeds and is closed in with a barb wire fence. He says there's a '68 Nova, a '72 Trans Am, two Barracudas, two Dodge Challengers, a '66 FB Mustang and a couple more Detroit warriors. He's been trying to find the owner, since no one lives on the lot. The neighbors say that ever so often someone shows up and either takes a car or brings in a new one. Of course, none of them are covered. I guess he can't afford some $6 tarps. I hope he finds the guy before the cars get any worse or the city takes the lot and crushes the cars! --Bullitt

Arctic Z Dan
09-03-2001, 05:16 AM
Disgusting. What a shame. There's a 1970 Road Runner not far from here in a similar situation. Dan

Dan 68 Chevy II
09-03-2001, 05:57 AM
A friend of mine has a original 1969 SS with the original number's matching original 396/350 motor,4spd,12bolt,ralley's,am/fm stereo,tinted glass,deluxe green interior,console with gages and front and rear spoilers.Car is no vinyl roof with fathom green paint and white hockey stripe.He's had car since 1982 and is the 2nd owner.Got married and kept car at parents house.Left it in front of house for a long time and decided to drive it around back of house ,since his parent's were constantly getting knocks on door to buy car.Big mistake sat on grass for 8 years and now is rotted right into the ground and still won't sell.It sinking deeper into the ground as time passes and he still won't sell it.Cats me a home under it.Says he going to restore it,but I see little hope for this.