PDA

View Full Version : Rob - We need an update !!!

Casey Marks
07-29-2001, 12:14 PM
The clock is precariously ticking closer and closer to September. How's that Certified Stock motor coming along ? Did you figure out your head dilemma ?? You're not fooling us - - you've probably got that bad boy already jammed between the frame rails ! http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/wink.gif

What about you Pete - - you Canadians just sitting back drinking *Blue* waiting - 'eh ?

Chevy454
07-29-2001, 03:18 PM
Well, I have the short block done, and I am down to figuring out what to do on the heads. I've been researching this "head issue" for a few months now, and it seems that Chevrolet DID in fact build '69 model cars with 291 heads (2.19/1.88 valves), and possibly with 840 heads with the larger (1.88) exhuast valve. I am still working on getting my 840 heads documented, but I hope to have the final info on them by the time Michigan rolls around.

As for how my shortblock turned out, it was sort of a "surprise". It's a low mileage undecked block, but the piston-deck clearance is tight...I mean REALLY tight. I would probably guess the p-d clearance is going to average about .013", or thereabouts. I was expecting there to be a HUGE gap, but it's just the opposite. Just one of those "freak" blocks, maybe?! Anyway, I opted for TRW pistons, which I have read since (on Moparts.com of course!) are quite a bit heavier than what the other piston manufacturers offer. But, they should be closer to what was offered by Chevrolet in '69, which has been my goal since the beginning.

Anyway, I hope to get the heads back in a week or so, then get it on the dyno for a break in...then we will put it in our Camaro and see what happens. My goal is to run some decent passes at Gateway at the Supercar Reunion this Labor Day.

So, Pete...how are things going with you?