PDA

View Full Version : 69 Zl1 Corvette

Dan 68 Chevy II
08-04-2001, 10:43 PM
It seems the 600hp lightweight Corvette combination is a handful for someone who lacks the driving ability of such a car.We agree!
So Chevy had this approach to make the car undsirable for the street.First no radio will come in the car and secondly( and most important)the car'scooling system won't handle the city traffic.The suspension spring rates are also increased and this makes for a harsh ride.
What chevy really did was design the car for the amateur road racer. It has flared fenderwells for wide racing tires. Do the 2 existing cars have flared fenderwells? Above Imformation was taken right out of article.

William
08-04-2001, 11:54 PM
There were a couple of feature articles on the white Tech Center ZL-1 Corvette back in 1969. It was not a production car. The fender flares were shipped with L-88s, not installed. They interfered with the body drop in production.

There were supposedly 2 ZL-1s built; only the yellow car is documented. The white coupe is purportedly an L-88 that was "dealer converted" to ZL-1 specs. I've heard so many stories about the other one I've lost count.

Mr70
08-05-2001, 01:38 AM
I heard 3 were built.One was destroyed by Chevrolet.
Only those two survived.
I have a Chevrolet Zone letter to dealers dated October 24th,1969 saying:

"St.Louis Plant has a 1969 Corvette,(3,000 miles) with ZL-1 High Performance engine for sale at company car discount.Call Zone if you are interested."

I believe this to be the Yellow ZL-1 Corvette.A great time capsule piece.

[Edited by mr70 (08-04-2001 at 08:38 PM).]

bowtie3168
08-05-2001, 03:05 AM
There is an "East Coast"collector that owned one of the two cars. I will ask him for some specifics.

Dan 68 Chevy II
08-05-2001, 05:38 AM
I have a original Popular Hot Rodding date July 1969.Pages 20 thru 23 has article and pictures on 69 ZL1 Corvette,shows picture of white 69 ZLI with factory fender flares,do you know how many exist and who has them?

Chevy454
08-05-2001, 05:49 AM
I believe there were 2 built and sold to the public. The YELLOW ZL-1 CORVETTE (http://www.rogerscorvette.com/spots/feb98/spot.htm) is owned by Roger Judski, and the WHITE ZL-1 CORVETTE (http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/corvette/69ZL1/index.htm) is owned by Kevin Suydam (known as "Supercars" on this board).

SuperCars
08-05-2001, 02:30 PM
William, I own a white ZL1 Vette. I don't know the ZL1 you are referencing as a L88 to ZL1 dealer conversion. I disagree with the statement that the Yellow one is the only one documented. I know you are only repeating things you've heard though.

Anyway the history on my White ZL1 vette as an original GM ZL1 Vette has been known since its delivery to the original owner in 1969. In other words it didn't materialize out of thin air. It was drag raced by the original owner for the first year and a half after he took delivery. I have the contract between the original owner and the owner of the Professional Racing team, as well as their affadavits stating it to be a GM factory installed ZL1. The original owner of this ZL1 Vette traded it away, after only owning it the year and a half; but not knowing it was one of only 2 built. He said it was headed circle track racing complete with the next owner having installed Roll Cage, Fuel Cell, and Flares. The notarized affadavits from the original owner and the owner of the Race Team attest that my ZL1 was a GM factory original ZL1 Vette evidenced by the window sticker in 1969, (not dealer installed). The original owner is Jack Cheskaty, who is still alive and currently is the US Treasury IRS Director of the Rocky Mountain region of 5 states. He provided his notarized affadavit of my ZL1 Vette on his official US Treasury letterhead. He did this at a time when he did not own this ZL1 Vette and had no monetary gain in doing so. No one in this high of a Government Position would make a notarized statement on his official letterhead unless it were absolutely true. Any person who is in doubt of this man's statement, is perhaps in need of an Income Tax audit.

There is a Magazine article (I'm not at home right now to be able to post what issue, as it is in the ZL1 file) in which Zora Duntov and Jim Perkins visited this ZL1 Vette at Otis Chandler's Museum, several years before I purchased it from Otis. The article has a photo of Zora sitting in this Vette etc, and discussion by Zora and Jim Perkins about this ZL1 as they knew this was one of the ZL1 Vettes. Kevin.

William
08-06-2001, 01:32 AM
The "white ZL-1" I'm thinking of was at Bloomington circa 1982, the only time I attended. The owner was present and extremely evasive when asked if was an original. Some years later I saw a feature article on it (or another) someplace. This one was an L-88 originally. When the owner learned of the ZL-1 he bought an engine and swapped.

No intention to diminish your car; you evidently have the other one. We did a ZL-1 Camaro many years ago and talked to a lot of people in the process of finding an engine. I heard all the stories out there about the other ZL-1 Corvette.

JoeC
08-06-2001, 05:07 AM
I have also been collecting info on the ZL1 Corvettes. Besides the production yellow and white car I have found articles and pictures of Zora's white test mule that appears to be a 1968 body. A Monaco Orange ZL1 used by Chevy as a drag racing test car showed up in an article in Motor Trend Oct 69 called THE 10 SEC TRIP. An article in Sports Car Graphic Oct. 69 called GENERAL MOTORS MISSING MODEL YEAR shows two ZL1 Corvettes at a 1970 press preview. The photos are black and white but one car looks white with a wide stripe down the center and the other is a dark color. They may be the same 2 white and orange ZL1 test cars but were "fixed up" for the press preview because the 70 Corvettes were not there. Martyn Schorr (Cars magazine editor) has stated that he remembers a black ZL1 Corvette test car. There was also an interesting quote that was in some of the magazines supposedly from Zora when asked about the ZL1 Corvettes he said in using his dialect "Were six cars made. Two escaped. Four changed inside and sold to employees."
There was a guy selling a 68 L71 white Corvette with what he said was a prototype ZL1 stripe done by GM
here are some links
http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/superfast80/articles/MTOct69/zl1a.jpg

http://www.sharkwerkes.com/sharktank/techinfo/68proto.html

[Edited by JoeC (08-05-2001 at 12:07 PM).]

Kurt S
08-06-2001, 03:34 PM
I've heard of 2 other ZL1's. One I saw at SC-Atlanta several years ago. Block was VIN stamped.
The other was owned by a guy in FL that had the original block in the garage.
Not sure if either of them have paperwork.

GMH454
08-09-2001, 07:46 PM
Kevin what William may have been referring to was an article in Vette Nov 1985 by Marty Schorr. "what is somewhat confusing is the option list which also includes an L-88 engine at $1,032.15. Could it be that this car was originally delivered with an L-88 engine and then converted to Zl-1 status by the dealer. Jack Cheskaty bought the car with 100 miles on its clock..."
Mag also shows a dealer invoice from Paulos Auto Co.with the L-88 on line 7 and ZL-1 on line 11. Cheskatsy bought the car from Gordon Wilson Chevrolet in Salt Lake city.
Great car. Terry (a man with not enough time and too many magazines)

SuperCars
08-09-2001, 09:36 PM
Terry, I have all those magazines too. My ZL1 was not a dealer conversion. It absolutely was a ZL1 from Chevrolet. Jack Cheskaty states emphatically, unequivocally that the Chevrolet window sticker stated ZL1. Jack states, quote: "The ZL1 option on the original Chevrolet window sticker essentially doubled the price of the car and there was no mistaking that!!!" He bought it from the smaller dealer Gordon Wilson in Utah which acquired it from Paulos Chevrolet. The NICB report I have confirms it was shipped to Paulos from the factory. Then it sat for many months before Cheskaty bought it. The outrageous price of around ten grand was the reason it didn't sell for months. The 100 miles on the odometer were a few test miles by tire kickers, and driving from Paulos to Gordon Wilson's.

If you go to the web site for the yellow ZL1, you will see that it has both the RPO's L88 and RPO ZL1 listed. Kevin

GMH454
08-09-2001, 09:58 PM
Kevin that makes sense. Do you know whether your car was originally ordered by someone who backed out or was it set up to build dealer traffic. I remember the Blue ZL-1
RS Camaro at Otis Chandler was loaded and used by the dealer to build traffic until someone walked in and bought it (storey from Jerry the curator)
Once more, great car and thanks for the extra detail. Terry

Chevy454
08-09-2001, 10:03 PM
Just curious...have the 2 ZL-1 Corvettes EVER been side to side since they were sold? What an awesome site! Seems to me that Collinsville would be just about half way... http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/wink.gif

SuperCars
08-10-2001, 12:20 AM
Rob, They were together at Bloomington about 12 years ago. I would really like to go to Collinsville this year, but have family Labor Day vacation plans with other family and friends. I have a pretty understanding wife with my car hobby; but I'd better not jeopardize that by taking off during this family vacation. Some day I've got to make it there though, Kevin

Chevy454
08-10-2001, 03:01 AM
Kevin:

Believe me, I TOTALLY understand the family thing! It seems like it takes an act of Congress just for me to get to the shop! But, family comes first, everything else second.

I have yet to see either of these ZL-1 Corvettes...does Roger ever travel with his? I am assuming he is a regular Bloomington attendee?

JoeC
08-10-2001, 02:48 PM
Kevin - more stripe questions. Do you know if Chevy has a RPO number or a part number for a stencil kit for the ZL1 stripe? I don't see a stripe RPO on Rogers ZL1 info. Do you know if this is a true story on the white 1968 L71 Corvette with the prototype ZL1 stripe done at the factory? Did your ZL1 originally have the same stripe as the yellow ZL1? I believe you said that the dealer added the Motion style stripe but was it Paulos or Wilson's? Maybe you should add something about the Motion stripe to your web site description. I see on other Corvette discussion boards that some people think the car is a "Motion ZL1" or that it has a factory stripe that was also used on Motion Corvettes. I think people see the Motion Corvettes, the yellow ZL1, and the white ZL1 and get confused by the stripes.

SuperCars
08-10-2001, 06:36 PM
Joe, there is no RPO for a ZL1 stripe. My car was built Nov/68 and the yellow ZL1 was a late production car which had no RPO for a stripe either. Cheskaty said the stripe was on my ZL1 when he bought it new from the dealer, so it was either factory or dealer applied. If it was dealer applied it would be apparent that Paulos copied B/M; or if factory applied, then B/M copied Chevrolet. Chevrolet did have a similar stripe on the prototype ZL1 as you point out. My ZL1 did not come from Baldwin Motion though. Kevin

JoeC
08-10-2001, 08:20 PM
Kevin,
The prototype stripe car I am talking about is a white 1968 L71 with a ZL1 stripe done at GM tech center or at least that is what they claim on the web page. The story behind this car is that it was the prototype car for the ZL-1 stripe, used by GM Design in 68 before the real ZL-1 was released. The car was originally ordered by a GM employee but never titled, driven, or registered and was then sold directly from the GM Tech Center. The guy has the GM "Request for Vehicle Purchase" from the Tech Center as well as a copy of the original options sheet which has an option for "Kit ZL-1 Stripes". He also has an old picture of the car. here is the link

http://www.sharkwerkes.com/sharktank/techinfo/68proto.html

Rowdy Rat
08-10-2001, 08:32 PM
The stripe that appears on Roger Judski's car is indeed listed in the Assembly Instruction Manual for the 1969 Corvette... The very last page (in the RPO section) if I'm not mistaken.

All of the dimensions for the stripe are detailed on this page. I don't have the AIM in front of me, but I'm a bit curious as to when the page was added. I know that the car Kevin owns is a November 1968 build while Roger's car is a September 1969 build... Quite a spread between the two. It will be interesting to see when that "stripe" page was added.

Regards,

Stan Falenski

SuperCars
08-10-2001, 11:33 PM
Stan I have a copy of that GM factory drawing you are speaking of for the ZL1 Stripes like Roger's. It is dated about ten days after the build date of my car. Kevin.

MotownMadman
05-18-2004, 09:10 AM
My memory may be fading with age, but it seems I read years ago that the yellow ZL-1 at one time was seized from a drug dealer in the southeastern US then sold at auction in Florida, it seems to me that the same article had referenced that the other ZL-1 was owned by one of the Unser brothers, as I wondered why he would not have bought the second when it was up for auction? Any of this fit with the history of these two cars?
Motown http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

hvychev
05-18-2004, 09:11 AM
You must have seen me reading these old threads! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The archived info on this site is priceless! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif

MotownMadman
05-18-2004, 09:15 AM
Frank,
You just mentioned in a PM to me that you were glad to see me back so some good controversial discussions could be fired up to get everyones blood flowing again, be careful what you ask for.........
Motown http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pantera
05-18-2004, 10:29 AM
You know it is funny but, I can remember so vividly seeing a Blue '69 cpe. with a window sticker showing the ZL-1 motor setting at a bodyshop here in Tulsa OK. back in the spring of '69. It had a blue interior too. I tried to find out who owned it but nobody knew for sure. Wish I had took pic of it so everybody would believe me. It didn't have any stripes on it but perhaps they were installed by the dealer when it got to the final destination.

I am sure about the color as I had a same color '68 400 hp turbo 400 cpe that I had picked up from the local salvage pool and it was still in the bodyshop at that time but almost finished. Because of the color of the coupe being the same as mine, it caught my eye and I stopped and looked it over.

It was still cold in the mornings and this was a Sat and the place where it was setting in their parking lot, was not open.

I drove back by two or three times and it was still there and then after 1 pm it was gone? Never saw it again or persued it any farther. Wish I had.

DANA/TA
05-20-2004, 03:11 AM
I have read the post's about the L-88 and the ZL-1 option codes. Remember L-88 was a package not just a motor. The L-88 package was required before the ZL-1 engine could be installed. Just as an L-71 was required before an L-89 could be added. Each package had prerequisits for the next stage of performance. ZL-1 did not include the brake and suspension package that an L-88 did. So the L-88 code was the base platform to install the ZL-1 motor. Don't look at an option code as simply a motor. Study all the requirement's to satisfy the option code.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Canucklehead
05-20-2004, 08:35 PM
Hey kevin it sounds like that car causes you alot of trouble, so being the kind sort that i am i would be glad to take it off your hands and end all this heartache.............no need to thank me, just tring to help http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

VET65
01-02-2021, 11:05 PM
One of the Three Best Rare Muscle Car Books - Amazon.comwww.amazon.com › review
... to be part of the Otis Chandler collection but you can see it on the internet if you search on Kevin Suydam's collection). It also didn't include the L-88 Corvettes.

Resto Profile - 1968 Yenko Camaro | Hemmingswww.hemmings.com › Stories
Kevin Suydam's 1968 Yenko Super Camaro is not only one of 64 specially modified by Yenko Chevrolet that year, it's one of a kind. YS-8023 is the only '68 ...

PLATINUM6BBL
01-05-2021, 01:10 PM
You know it is funny but, I can remember so vividly seeing a Blue '69 cpe. with a window sticker showing the ZL-1 motor setting at a bodyshop here in Tulsa OK. back in the spring of '69. It had a blue interior too. I tried to find out who owned it but nobody knew for sure. Wish I had took pic of it so everybody would believe me. It didn't have any stripes on it but perhaps they were installed by the dealer when it got to the final destination.

I am sure about the color as I had a same color '68 400 hp turbo 400 cpe that I had picked up from the local salvage pool and it was still in the bodyshop at that time but almost finished. Because of the color of the coupe being the same as mine, it caught my eye and I stopped and looked it over.

It was still cold in the mornings and this was a Sat and the place where it was setting in their parking lot, was not open.

I drove back by two or three times and it was still there and then after 1 pm it was gone? Never saw it again or persued it any farther. Wish I had.
In the 80's we were visiting family in the Grapevine, TX area and being a young gearhead I was always having to look through the local trader mags. I remember a ZL-1 Vette being listed in the Auto Trader magazine in that greater Dallas area. I bet too if you were to ask John Maher he could tell you if he saw a blue one with his orange one. He says there were 7 along with his.

rynoshark
01-05-2021, 05:26 PM
I posted this on CorvetteForum (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3912713-1969-zl1-production-9.html), but since this thread sent me an update alert today, I figured I'd cross post this here as well.
---

The following internal GM reports summarize production totals through September 1969. The Daytona Yellow ZL1 was ordered September 7, 1969 and completed assembly per the trim tag on September 11, 1969 (N11). I don't have a reference as to what GM's official production date was for the Daytona Yellow ZL1 (presumably either September 11 or September 12, 1969).

Here is a copy of the two documents and my analysis of these two documents:

PLATINUM6BBL
01-07-2021, 03:14 PM
I posted this on CorvetteForum (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3912713-1969-zl1-production-9.html), but since this thread sent me an update alert today, I figured I'd cross post this here as well.
---

The following internal GM reports summarize production totals through September 1969. The Daytona Yellow ZL1 was ordered September 7, 1969 and completed assembly per the trim tag on September 11, 1969 (N11). I don't have a reference as to what GM's official production date was for the Daytona Yellow ZL1 (presumably either September 11 or September 12, 1969).

Here is a copy of the two documents and my analysis of these two documents:
So what are your thoughts on the Maher MO roadster automatic and his 1st hand account of seeing 7 alongside his car at Gulf Research?

firstgenaddict
01-08-2021, 08:50 PM
I would like to know which carb was on the MAHER ZL1 Corvette seeing as the Camaro assembly plant did not have the correct carbs at the end of December.

Is there any information as to when the FIRST ZL1 engine assembly was built at Tonawanda?

Given that even under the direction of ESTES and his HOT ORDER for the Camaros it took a couple of weeks, am I off base in believing that Scheduling for the Corvette ZL1 build would take a couple weeks at best?
Meaning that the earliest would be approx the same time frame as the Camaros were built... end of December given the Dec 9th ECL change?

LT1vette
01-09-2021, 03:37 AM
So.... Lets throw a wrench in the works. Do you think Duntov didn't have enough "pull" to get an engine (s) built "out the back door" installed in a car for top racers?? We are talking at a time in history when counting was done by a human not a computer, also not as traceable.....
Didn't one manufacturer run one car out the front door and the same car back down the assembly line to meet homolgation numbers for NASCAR?

PS... I'm a firm BELIEVER there was only two (2) ZL1's built. But the L88 # are a little vague...

JoeC
01-09-2021, 09:59 AM
Many special Hi Po cars were built to meet the racing requirements

NHRA required 50 cars for Super Stock class

SCCA required 100 cars for some classes and some like Trans Am was 1000

NASCAR required 200 cars for some and 6000 for others and had other rules

FIA and SCCA had some rules for parts that had to be pre-approved before racing

When FIA and SCCA approved the ZL1 engine for competition in the Corvette, it did not require a minimum number of cars built

JoeC
01-09-2021, 10:08 AM
here are pics to go with this thread

I think the yellow and white ZL1 Corvettes are acceped by most as production cars but seems to be some questions on the orange car

article on the orange car

http://www.superchevy.com/features/corp-0603-1969-chevy-corvette-zl1

EZ Nova
01-09-2021, 04:30 PM
Need to add this about '69 ZL-1 Vettes.

https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=147328

A lot of info there.

Larry Cain post:

"I can remember so vividly seeing a Blue '69 cpe. with a window sticker showing the ZL-1 motor setting at a bodyshop here in Tulsa OK. back in the spring of '69. It had a blue interior too. I tried to find out who owned it but nobody knew for sure. Wish I had took pic of it so everybody would believe me. It didn't have any stripes on it but perhaps they were installed by the dealer when it got to the final destination."

markinnaples
01-11-2021, 04:34 PM
I've seen John Maher's '69 ZL-1 in person in the 80's at a car show in Pittsburgh. Interesting car. He said it was a Gulf Research vehicle. Hard to think that it wasn't an original ZL-1, but what do experts say about it?

PLATINUM6BBL
01-11-2021, 06:34 PM
here are pics to go with this thread

I think the yellow and white ZL1 Corvettes are acceped by most as production cars but seems to be some questions on the orange car

article on the orange car

http://www.superchevy.com/features/corp-0603-1969-chevy-corvette-zl1
That Super Chevy article is the same thing John told me in the early to mid 90's. I'll have to find the pics I took of it back then. He also told me he had 13 engines in storage as he raced dirt track V8 late model cars. He'd pull the engine out of the vette, freshen it, install it in the dirt track car and purchase (given?) a new engine for the vette. His friend Burr Corbett is still alive and can back up everything John has said. Burr has known the car since day 1 (having mounted its' 1st set of slicks). Burr was also the lead Corvette judge for our local Autumn Leaf Festival (it attracted 15-20 vette's for judging).

rynoshark
01-14-2021, 09:40 PM
Per annotations on Chevrolet's internal NPC "Notice of Production Change C69-39" documentation, the first date that a ZL1 engine assembly was available for production installation at the St. Louis Corvette assembly plant for a Corvette with option RPO ZL1 was December 9, 1968.

Further, the separate internal Chevrolet document "Notice of Production Change C69-39, Supplement 1" indicates with annotations that the first day parts were available for building a Corvette with a M40 automatic option for RPO ZL1 was also December 9, 1968.

In the absence of any other internal Chevrolet documentation, the data from these NPC documents indicate it appears that on—or within days—of December 9th, 1968 the first Corvette with option "RPO ZL1" was built. Further, based on this documentation, any Corvette built prior to that date which may have had an aluminum ZL1 type engine installed would not have been with the "RPO ZL1" option code. Given the Daytona Yellow ZL1 is well documented to have been built in September 1969, these would be the two bookend RPO ZL1s.

NOTE: All internal Chevrolet documents referenced above have been uncovered at GM's Heritage Center within the last two years.

lycan
12-17-2021, 04:14 AM
Per annotations on Chevrolet's internal NPC "Notice of Production Change C69-39" documentation, the first date that a ZL1 engine assembly was available for production installation at the St. Louis Corvette assembly plant for a Corvette with option RPO ZL1 was December 9, 1968.

Further, the separate internal Chevrolet document "Notice of Production Change C69-39, Supplement 1" indicates with annotations that the first day parts were available for building a Corvette with a M40 automatic option for RPO ZL1 was also December 9, 1968.

In the absence of any other internal Chevrolet documentation, the data from these NPC documents indicate it appears that on—or within days—of December 9th, 1968 the first Corvette with option "RPO ZL1" was built. Further, based on this documentation, any Corvette built prior to that date which may have had an aluminum ZL1 type engine installed would not have been with the "RPO ZL1" option code. Given the Daytona Yellow ZL1 is well documented to have been built in September 1969, these would be the two bookend RPO ZL1s.

NOTE: All internal Chevrolet documents referenced above have been uncovered at GM's Heritage Center within the last two years.
Thank you, rynoshark!

If i understand you correctly, internal GM documents show that:

- Only two (2) 1969 Corvettes were built with "RPO ZL1" option code, correct?

- The two (2) cars must have been built between 12/9/68 and September 69, correct?

Couple other questions for the forum, if i may:

- Is there a surviving copy of the window sticker, or dealer invoice, for the white car?

- Is there a surviving "tank sticker" or "Corvette Order Copy" (factory assembly sheet) for the white car?

Thank you, one and all!

rynoshark
12-17-2021, 08:06 AM
If i understand you correctly, internal GM documents show that:

- Only two (2) 1969 Corvettes were built with "RPO ZL1" option code, correct?

- The two (2) cars must have been built between 12/9/68 and September 69, correct?

On point #1 above: From two reports that showed 1969 model year production, both had 2 RPO ZL1 listed. If I recall, one report was through September 1969, and then the second report showed all of 1969 including the extended 1969 model year. Both reports showed only 2 RPO ZL1. These documents were sourced from magazine articles and previously published lists and were not found in the GM Heritage Center with the other trove of ZL1 related documents.

On point #2 above: That is what the internal GM documents from GM Heritage Center seem to indicate.

However, I think the second point is likely stronger: the internal GM documents indicated that "12-9-68" was the first "parts availability" date for an RPO ZL1 engine available at St. Louis plant for installation into a production Corvette. From what I understand, GM did not leave rare engines sitting around to be installed sometime well into the future, thus these documents seem to indicate the first RPO ZL1 was built on or slightly after 12/9/1968 given documentation shows that the Daytona Yellow ZL1 was definitely a RPO ZL1 and it was built in September 1969.

An additional important discovery in internal GM documents found at GM Heritage Center was that the type L88-engines were actually built with closed-chamber, despite the original CEC engineering plan for them to be open chamber (which was what appeared in various magazines in period). However, a "Stop Order" was placed on the open-chamber L88/ZL1 engine due to problems with the aluminum cylinder heads, which extended the closed-chamber models (including IT L88) for the 1969 model year way beyond the original engineering timeline. I don't have the data in front of me, but I believe this stop order was lifted sometime in the March 1969 timeframe, likely coinciding with the Camaro ZL1 engines released for "production" COPO 9050 Camaros starting with chassis #3. The first two "red hot" COPO Camaro ZL1s were requested by Pete Estes to ship out by December 31, 1968, for homologation/racing purposes and were not "customer" cars. As this was a production engine reliability issue for the ZL1, the lifting an engine stop order would probably have applied to Corvettes and Camaros at roughly the same time.

rynoshark
12-17-2021, 08:21 AM
Additionally, the “427 CUBIC INCHES ZL1” console trim plate/badge (part number 3958746) was also marked on GM internal document Notice of Production Change C69-39 with the handwritten "12-9-68" date.

olredalert
12-17-2021, 03:06 PM
----Much interesting stuff! My 69 L88 that I bought with less than 3,000 miles from the original owner absolutely had open chamber heads. I haven't owned the car for many, many years but can't forget that as I removed the heads myself! One thing I can't remember was weather the production date was April or May of 69. I have multiple pics of that Monaco Orange convert, but did not retain any of the paperwork when I sold it to a Wisconsin collector in 1974-5.....Bill S

Carleen
01-02-2022, 10:57 PM
Im not a Corvette guy.
Believe this is a Prototype but I dont know if its a ZL1.
Sitting next to the Z/427 Camaro.
Someone posted these Pictures here on Yenko.net some years ago.

Dave Rifkin
01-02-2022, 11:37 PM
Im not a Corvette guy.
Believe this is a Prototype but I dont know if its a ZL1.
Sitting next to the Z/427 Camaro.
Someone posted these Pictures here on Yenko.net some years ago.

What's the deal with the windshield shape on that Corvette?

MosportGreen66
01-03-2022, 12:41 AM
Looks to be a 70-72 nose, and odd treatment on the windshield. I don’t believe it’s the same car?

TimG
01-03-2022, 02:11 AM
That C3 was a version done by Bill Mitchell. The windshield and mirror's are a giveaway. I'll search for some pictures I have, it's called the Aero Coupe.

TimG
01-03-2022, 02:24 AM
Here's the Aero Coupe designed by Bill Mitchell. It was at Road America in Corvette Corral many times in the 70's. I believe it carried a ZL1 motor. I helped them unload it from the GM trailer one year, probably 1977 or 1978. I had my customized 1969 Corvette in the Corral and the driver liked it and asked me to guide him out of the trailer.

olredalert
01-03-2022, 03:15 PM
----Tim,,, One of my favorite Bill Mitchell concept Corvettes. I believe Ralph Eckler made a mold of that rear spoiler. Love the sidepipe covers!.....Bill S

TimG
01-03-2022, 03:24 PM
Bill, what happened to that car? It sure was beautiful with lots of unique features.

Lee Stewart
01-03-2022, 09:10 PM
Bill, what happened to that car? It sure was beautiful with lots of unique features.

in 1970, the Aero Coupe was reworked and renamed Scirocco.

https://i.postimg.cc/TYMzJy2Z/download.jpg (https://postimages.cc/)

It received the slim, Manta Ray-style side pipe covers, got a new paint job with the front bumper-grille assembly painted body color, the mirrors were moved up the door pillars and the roof panel was given a rear view periscope. It had a ZL-1 all aluminum 427 C.I.D. engine coupled to a prototype 4-speed automatic transmission. For the next 4 years the car worked as the pace car at the Can-Am races.

Lee Stewart
01-03-2022, 09:15 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/JzJtdHjZ/download.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

In 1974, the car was restyled again and was renamed Mulsanne. Painted bright metallic silver, the Chevrolet Corvette Mulsanne wore 1975 style front and rear bumper covers. The pop-up headlights were replaced with 4 rectangular lamps under body-fitting clear plastic covers. The hood had a raised center section with recessed, functional scoops on both sides. The interior was completely trimmed in leather with fixed seats and adjustable pedals and steering wheel. Chaparral style lace aluminum wheels were used.

The ZL-1 aluminum engine was bored out to 454 C.I.D. and was equipped with an experimental Rochester fuel injection system. Bill Mitchell called the Mulsanne “the greatest Stingray ever”.

TimG
01-03-2022, 10:33 PM
That sure answers my question, Lee. I believe that gave that car to Bill Mitchell upon retirement.

olredalert
01-03-2022, 11:09 PM
----All the versions are cool, but I think I like the original version the best!.....Bill S

Lee Stewart
01-03-2022, 11:35 PM
That sure answers my question, Lee. I believe that gave that car to Bill Mitchell upon retirement.

Bill drove many of the GM show cars on a regular basis - as long as they were street legal. In all the writeups, nothing is mentioned about him being given the car when he retired.

And not all of the show cars that he drove were Corvettes. This was his 1972 SD-455 Trans Am Firebird. The SD-455 became a production option in 1973. This is a 1 of 1 car. It's also the first TA with a "Screaming Chicken" on the hood

https://i.postimg.cc/xqVq002c/0.jpg (https://postimages.cc/)

https://i.postimg.cc/TYbk2GmG/00.jpg (https://postimg.cc/7fx1XFmQ)

Lee Stewart
01-03-2022, 11:47 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/v8JzNjKK/0.jpg (https://postimages.cc/)

https://i.postimg.cc/fRZvwdDj/00.jpg (https://postimages.cc/)

https://i.postimg.cc/7ZVnbLLv/000.jpg (https://postimages.cc/)

https://i.postimg.cc/JhY3cdJP/0.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

1969 Manta Ray Concept

The 1965 Mako Shark II was sent back to the GM Design Studio for changes and was renamed the 1969 Manta Ray. William Mitchell, the head of GM Design Staff enjoyed deep sea fishing and had a profound love of nature. While on a fishing excursion, Mitchell was inspired by the manta Ray powerfully moving through the ocean, which inspired the Corvette Mako Shark II/Manta Ray “Stingray” styling “Dream Cars”. The Manta Ray sported more production realistic side pipes and twin rear-deck-mounted doors that popped up during hard braking to become reflective auxiliary brake lights.

Additional Photos:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-vehicle-collection/1969_Manta_Ray.html

dykstra
01-04-2022, 11:35 AM
Looks like Randy Scism from MTI Powerboats took a page out of the Manta Ray styling.

Xplantdad
01-04-2022, 01:07 PM
There was also this prototype which was at the Pavilions in Scottsdale....once or twice

I think the other prototype was also at Pavilions as well-was discovered in Australia (I could be remembering wrong though?

https://www.1973-76transamconcept.com/history.html

msclassiccars
01-07-2022, 02:55 PM
Bill drove many of the GM show cars on a regular basis - as long as they were street legal. In all the writeups, nothing is mentioned about him being given the car when he retired.

And not all of the show cars that he drove were Corvettes. This was his 1972 SD-455 Trans Am Firebird. The SD-455 became a production option in 1973. This is a 1 of 1 car. It's also the first TA with a "Screaming Chicken" on the hood

https://i.postimg.cc/xqVq002c/0.jpg (https://postimages.cc/)

https://i.postimg.cc/TYbk2GmG/00.jpg (https://postimg.cc/7fx1XFmQ)

Thanks for sharing! Love 1 of 1 factory prototypes and whatnot.

Keith Seymore
01-07-2022, 04:50 PM
There was also this prototype which was at the Pavilions in Scottsdale....once or twice

I think the other prototype was also at Pavilions as well-was discovered in Australia (I could be remembering wrong though?

The article doesn't specifically say, but I believe it was design studio employee Paul Deesen that actually came up with the stripe package and taped up the car.

K

http://www.deansgarage.com/2012/gm-designer-paul-deesen-the-pontiac-strato-star-and-sebring-1957/

Pro Stock John
01-11-2022, 07:59 PM
At 8.55 minutes in this video, the person talking about this collection says this Camaro is 1 of 2 ZL1 street cars, whichi I recall being discussed in another thread on here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Wc_m06pG8&t=554s

Kurt S
01-13-2022, 03:50 PM
That's Al's old car, was an SS350. The clone build was documented on one of the early email lists back in the late 90's.
124379L510596

JoeC
01-13-2022, 07:44 PM
The ZL-1 9567 re-creation at BJ 2014

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1969-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-ZL1-COUPE-COPO-RE-CREATION-162358

Xplantdad
01-13-2022, 10:58 PM
The ZL-1 9567 re-creation at BJ 2014

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1969-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-ZL1-COUPE-COPO-RE-CREATION-162358

That VIN is different that what Kurt references above....so there are at least 2 ZL-1 clones that are black and gold?

from the BJ link above 124379L510204

luzl78
01-13-2022, 11:06 PM
We’re the original 2 from gm accounted for or destroyed. Just looked at a pic in Michael lamm’s the great Camaro book.

William
01-14-2022, 11:51 PM
Per Chevrolet docs, only one ZL-1 show car was built. They made small styling changes during its time in the sun. Not known to exist.

Xplantdad
01-17-2022, 08:50 PM

Here's the car in a later iteration...at Pavilions in 2012. It just came up in my Facebook memories...They changed the front fascia and the rear window area to "make it" a 1976...

https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1578799#post1578799

69hurstSC
12-14-2023, 04:25 PM
Arizona Republic
Phoenix, Arizona
Sun, Mar 2, 1969

This article lists, "perhaps 4 or 5 in existence".

https://i.ibb.co/510kyH5/img.jpg

William
12-14-2023, 07:45 PM
Been researched extensively. Chevy 1969 Production totals show 2 built.

1967Z28
12-15-2023, 02:33 AM
Production totals also say no 1967 427/425hp SS427 Impalas were made but John Hinckley got one brand new. GM Proving Ground engineer Dave Horchler told me he drove a '69 ZL1 Corvette that was new and it was not one of the two that exists today.

fsc66
12-15-2023, 09:00 AM
GM Production records and what GM Produced as prototypes or 1 off’s are different

lycan
12-15-2023, 07:56 PM
There are:

- mules
- prototypes
- pilots
- production vehicles
- dealer conversions

GM production records unambiguously list two (2) 1969 ZL1 Corvettes ... a number which includes cars from only the pilots & production categories, nothing more.

The "total number rumored to be in existence" includes cars from all of the above categories.