PDA

View Full Version : Baldwin/Motion 70 Chevelle?

Mr70
08-06-2001, 01:05 AM
I saw a 1970 LS-6 Chevelle at a carshow recently.It had a Hone Overdrive unit in it.The car was fully restored,but the owner said he left that Hone unit in it.He had no idea what a Baldwin/Motion car was,but did say the car was full of after market Hi-perf accessories from the 70's.
So did the Hone Overdrive unit only come on B/M cars,or could it have been bought at a parts store in the 70's as well?
How could I document it to be an actual B/M Chevelle if it ever was?
Or could it be a "Day 2 car".

Dan 68 Chevy II
08-06-2001, 03:01 AM
Good question about the Honeodrive,can't answer that one,but did you get a discription of what the car looked like before the restoration? What other kinds of performance extras are on it.Check the rear for signs of Motion,Welded spring perches and axle tubes,possible airlift suspension.Owner history,where did he find it,how long has he had it.

GMH454
08-06-2001, 04:25 AM
Joel would sell you one if you wanted it and the factory that made them in Calif. from memory would sell them to you as well. I have one in my 454 Holden, (well not actually at the moment its on the floor along with too many other parts to think about....). Original owner bought it in early 1974 from the factory.
Terry

whitetop
08-06-2001, 01:27 PM
Anyone could buy a Hone overdrive-it was not a Motion exclusive. Hone was just another supplier to Motion-just like Edelbrock or Mallory or Sun gauge corp. Hones ads were in all the mags in the early to mid '70's and many other Brand X mags showed how to put one in a Mustang, Chrysler product etc.They were a popular magazine tech article in the early to mid '70's gas crunch times.
Dave

Mr70
08-07-2001, 01:04 AM
Thanks for all the information guys.I suspect this was not an Orignal B/M modified Chevelle.It came with smog attached till 1975 when the second owner took it off.No modifying of the rear suspension in any way.Looks like just a low mileage,well maintained LS-6 with the Hone unit bought at a parts store.Gosh Darnit! http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/laugh.gif