PDA

View Full Version : Nova Nationals and a sweeeeeeeeet Yenko

Allen
08-13-2001, 02:37 AM
I just wanted to share my enthusiasm after returning from the 2001 Nova Nationals in Indianapolis this weekend. I drove my Nova up there (not a "SuperCar", but it is super to me - a '70 SS 396/350hp version).

I had the chance to meet Dave ("Yenko") and look over his orange '70 Nova Yenko Deuce. It is a very sweet car, immaculately detailed, and Dave was a gentleman and interesting to talk with. Thanks Dave, for your time.

There was one other Yenko Nova that made an appearance also. I was hoping to see one of the half dozen or so '69 Yenko's, but none made an appearance..... sigh.

Anyway, it was a good time. I don't frequently have a lot to post on this board, but do keep up with the discussions. However, I thought this was worth sharing. Take care all.

Dan 68 Chevy II
08-13-2001, 03:25 AM
Allen,
Sounds lke I missed a good show,but being self-employed and working 60+ hours a week doesn't leave me much freedom.Were there any 68 COPO Chevy II Nova's or 68 Harrell 427 Chevy II Nova's? Any 68 or 69 Baldwin Motion Nova's?
Sorry to hear there weren't any 69 427 Yenko Nova's there. By the way how many are known to exist of the above and how many Yenko Dueces exist.Maybe I can get there next year, since Nova's are tops in my book, especially when it has a big block.

Allen
08-13-2001, 04:04 AM
There was one '68 COPO Nova with the special Turbo 400 trans (1 of 50, I believe). I don't recall if it was also considered a Fred Gibb or Harrell car. It was dark blue, black interior, console, SS 396, and quite tough sounding.

No B/M cars. No '69 Yenkos. Two '70 Yenkos.
A few '69 SS396 Novas. Only ONE '70 SS396 Nova - mine! I was surprised. I expected at least one or two more.

There were lots of other nice ones from many origins - stock, modified, factory originals (unrestored). It was a good time, and I enjoyed attending a car show comprising solely of my favorite model.

Next year, the Nationals will be closer to you Dan..... it is being planned for Harrisburg, PA.

Dan 68 Chevy II
08-14-2001, 12:25 AM
Hi Allen,
Who owned the 68 Fred Gibb car,did you talk to the owner,very rare car 1 of 50 and even more rare if it went to Dick Harrell.Do you if it had the 396 still in it,because if it ended going to Dick Harrell shop from Fred Gibbs 1 of 50 COPO 68's then it could have had a 427 transplant.I talked to 2 people that have 68 Fred Gibb to Dick Harrell 427 transplants.
Dan

Allen
08-14-2001, 04:09 AM
Dan,
Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to talk with the owner. However, I believe that "Yenko" (Dave) from this board did, since their cars were next to each other. He might able able to share some more information about it.

I did get some pictures of it with my digital camera. I'll have to start sifting through them and see what I find.

I really like the '68 SS Novas due to many of their unique one-year-only features.

08-15-2001, 02:12 AM
THIS CAR WAS OWNED BY JUDE HETTICK OUT OF ATLANTA. IT IS A 396 CAR. HARRELL'S SHOP PUT CRAGARS ON IT AND TUNED IT UP. NO STINGER HOOD. THE ORIGINAL MOTOR IS IN CA. BURIED IN THE PREVIOUS OWNERS BACK YARD. HE WILL NOT RETRIEVE IT BECAUSE OF SOME HARD FEELINGS. THE CAR NEEDS RESTORED, AND IS IN LINE TO BE RESTORED BY WAYNE BUSHEY(NNN PRESIDENT). PRESENT OWNER TOLD ME HE GREW UP IN LA HARPE IL. AND HIS FATHER WORKED FOR GIBB CHEVY. HE SPENT A LOT OF TIME AT THE DEALERSHIP WHEN HE WAS A KID. HE FINALLY ACQUIRED THIS ONE A FEW MONTHS AGO. A SUPER GUY WHO WILL DIE WITH THIS CAR. HE WAS VERY ENTHUSIASTIC ABOUT THE CAR. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT FINISHED! THE NOVA NATIONALS WAS FANTASTIC THIS YEAR. THE HIGHLIGHT WAS DRIVING THE CARS AROUND THE INDY TRACK. THEY PHOTOED EACH CAR AS THEY CROSSED THE FINISH LINE. I ALSO SHOWED THAT MY CAR IS NO TRAILER QUEEN. I DROVE THE 15 MILES TO THE TRACK IN HEAVY TRAFFIC(AFTER THE JUDGING OF COURSE)! WAYNE PUTS ON A HELL OF A SHOW!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-15-2001, 02:03 PM
Indy Race Car??

http://www.boomspeed.com/yenko/belkhocarrear.JPG

Race Cars, with rear wings??

http://www.boomspeed.com/yenko/ia11.jpg

In the draft,
http://www.boomspeed.com/yenko/ia13.jpg
M

[Edited by YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (08-15-2001 at 09:03 AM).]

JoeC
08-15-2001, 06:27 PM
Allen, The 70 Nova 396/350 is a great car. I had one with 4:10 rear and 4sp. It was fun during the winter with snow tires on it. I would put it in 3rd gear rev it to 5K and side step the clutch. Passengers loved it when the car would fill up with tire smoke even with the windows closed. One of those dumb things you do in high school. I still have the original intake and carb to it.
Nice Deuce pics Marlin

Allen
08-17-2001, 03:24 PM
I enjoy mine. It's fun driver, but not refinished to the point of being a 'show quality' car.

I hope the time/money become more available in the future to fix things up. In the meantime though, I don't hesitate to take a little therapeutic cruise any chance I get.

From everything I've been able to find out about the car, it appears to haven't been messed with much over the years. It still retains the original motor, trans, rear, and interior equipment (buckets, console, gauges, etc).