PDA

View Full Version : Possible COPO??

Vern B
08-17-2001, 03:36 AM
Hey Guys

I was at a show recently with my 69 COPO and was approached by a guy that said he thought he had a COPO also. We talked about it for a while and he gave me enough info to suspect it might be and take a look at it for him. The car is missing engine, trans,
rear-end code is unreadable and he was told by a prior owner that it wasn't original. Also, the dash and steering wheel are missing. Nice start!! Now the good news.
VIN #
124379N639108
Trim tag info:
ST6912437N286032
TR 715 PNT 5151 (dusk blue)
05A (1st wk. may) X11

Looking the car over, here are the other things I observed. Has the big block heater
box, that appears to be original. 3/8" fuel
line. Has the cowl induction hood, with the relay and harness still mounted correctly and
they also appear original. I traced the wiring harness to the fuse box and it appears original and routed correctly. Has
front disc brakes and power booster. The
last thing I checked was the speedo routing and it is the same as on my car. AS I remember, the only Xll big block cars were
COPO's. Any 396 cars would be X22 or X66??
Is there any other identifying things I should look for? Depending on the answers
I receive, we may pay someone to identify it
for sure. Any help would be appreciated.

One other question. I was looking at some trim tag info for a Los Angeles, built 69
(supposed to be a Z, I didn't see the car)
and in the position where the X code would be on the Norwood cars is stamped C366.
Can anyone tell me what that represents?
Appreciate any help you can give me.

Vern Bauer

Fhakya
08-17-2001, 07:39 AM
Well, even though these things could also have been changed:
Was the infamous radiator there? (4-core/curved neck)
Did it have BB engine mounts and BB tranny crossmember? I did some checking at CRG also, is there evidence of hood insulation? (may tell a repop from an original). I'm guessing the guy didn't have the POP.
Just a 'couple of thoughts before bed.
-Mark Holman
As for that "Z"... Could the 'C' be for the shoulder harness option?

COPO
08-17-2001, 11:48 AM
On the LA car, the C366 has no useful meaning, it does not denote any options and is thought to be a code tied into the week of production.

The potential COPO looks very promising. Another sign would be the Body number from the trim tag being out of sequence with the body number of non-COPO cars built during that time period. I don't have that info in front of me, but one of the CRG guys will probably chime in and give you an idea.

Vern B
08-17-2001, 03:50 PM
Thank's for the reply guys. The radiator is not correct, so I discounted that as an indicator. I will check the other items.
Received an E-mail from one of the members and he said that often times the COPO's were run in batches. On page 198 of Jerry McNeish's book it shows a VIN tag with a
build date of 05A and is also an X11 car.
The sequence number is ONE away from this car 286031 vs 286032. Another possible indicator or just a coincidence?

Thank's Mark

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-17-2001, 04:30 PM
Strong Indicator!!
M

JoeC
08-18-2001, 05:00 AM
Does it have the pass side duel exhaust bracket on the frame?

Kurt S
08-22-2001, 07:39 AM
Looking at the #'s, I'd say it's a COPO that probably came out of Glockner Chev, Portsmouth, OH.
Auto or manual trans?

Kurt S (been traveling)

[Edited by Kurt S (08-22-2001 at 02:39 AM).]

Vern B
08-23-2001, 01:34 AM
Kurt

I got that same info from another member via an e-mail. Apparently it is close, by number to several other Glockner cars, that are known. I spoke to Jerry McNeish the other night and he said the owner of the car is from California and he is going to contact him to get more info for me. This car is a four speed car. Do you know anything about any of the other Glockner cars? Were they also X11 cars? Thank's for the help. Getting more encouraged every day!

Vern Bauer