PDA

View Full Version : First muscle car,year bought

SS427
08-22-2001, 06:47 PM
My first muscle car was a hand me down '67 SS427 Impala, 1976. I always had a soft spot for 427 Chvies regardless what they were in. I had that for several years but that was not the problem.

It was not until I built a '69 SS396 Chevelle with a 427 low rise 2x4 set up that I got to know the police by name. I finally sold the car about 3 years later due to harrasment from the boys in blue. Ironically, I NEVER received any violations as I never broke any (spelled 'caught'). It was simply a rolling billboard for speed and they never let me rest.

I have had many since but none got the attention of that Chevelle by the police! After 25 years, I have still never received a violation.

COPO
08-22-2001, 10:06 PM
My first muscle car was a 1970 RS Z-28 Camaro (hugger orange w/white stripes) that I still own after 21 years. I had earned money from a paper route and and flipping burgers at McD's to buy this dream car when I was in highschool.

Within 2 days of owning the car I was still learning to use the stiff clutch and unintentionally barked the tires pulling away from a light. (I was previously driving a VW beetle stick) I was pulled over by the boys in blue and given a reckless driving ticket.

Because I was under 18, my father had to accompany me to court. The officer greatly exaggerated what happenned. The judge asked the officer if I burned out in a straight line. The cop said I did and the judge dismissed the charge as he concluded I was in control of the car. He then lectured me about wasting my money on new tires.

Have never been that lucky in traffic court since.

[Edited by COPO (08-22-2001 at 05:06 PM).]

Dan 68 Chevy II
08-23-2001, 12:09 AM
I glad to here I wasn't the only one that got to know the local Police.I rec'd my liscene in June of 1975 and was original going to put a Yamaha 360 on the road for my first vehicle and then one I heard something really nasty outside the house and went outside to find my older sister standing next to a gorgouse 1969 SS 396 4spd Camaro,Lemans Blue with black interior,I looked inside with awe of what the car must feel like to drive,as I'm drooling all over the car my sister throws me the keys and said her boyfriend's selling it,take it for a ride.Never could I imagine the power of this car before this.Needless to say I sold the bike bought the car and later found out it was a 427 4bolt main with 11 to 1 pistons and 840 steel heads.By the way I was already breaking the law when I first drove it,didn't have a liscense yet,but can you blame me.Anyway I did get to know the Police officers on a first name basis.I don't think that was a good thing.

Steve Shauger
08-23-2001, 01:52 AM
I remember in grade school a guy in a camaro would pass me every morning in a 67 Z28 ( I later confirmed what it was) I loved the sound of that cam and those tall gears. Well in 1974 a friend of mine had his parents purchase him a 1974 Z28. I really got the bug and started my search for a 69 in the spring of 75. In July I found a car, but wanted my friends (experts)check it out. Well I purchased it after everyone said it was a great car. What did I know, well I learned pretty quickly. I had to rebuild the transmission ( broken second gear syncro), the rear housing was cracked, due to mis adjusted traction bars, had that replaced. Then came the engine rebuild, due to excessive smoke. Well it was a 3oh something , you got it a genuine 307. I learned all the lessons, that I would ever need on my first purchase....what an education. That fall I left for college and sold the car, that experience was a REAL education.

My next Z28 was a college graduation present from my parent. I purchased a 69 RS/Z hugger orange with black stripes and deluxe interior. It came with 4.56 gears and had the off road cam installed with headers.On my way home from buying it, I cruised through town at about six grand and was quickly stopped and given five assorted tickets. I knew, back then these cars were special. What a thrill they have given me... even now!

Ray Morrison
08-23-2001, 03:32 AM
My very first muscle car was a 289-271 Ford, Sport Coupe, 4 speed. In 1966, I bought an L-79, non SS Nova, bench seat with 4 speed. I then bought the Harrell Nova with the automatic. I played with all these cars on the street and had a grand time. I think the law enforcement officers had about as much fun in trying to catch us as we did in trying to avoid them? Just a quick story about getting hung up at a drive in with the headers wide open. I noticed before I left out, there was the police sitting across the street. Upon further observence, there were two more police cars, one behind and one down the street waiting for me to leave. Well I had to drink another soda or two in hopes they would leave, but they didn't. Well what did we do, we fetched a log chain and pulled the thing out of the lot in front of them and took it to a friends garage, where the rest of the exhaust system was. Put the exhaust back on and went merrily on our way. All 3 of these cars were bought new.

Rat_Pack
08-23-2001, 03:35 AM
My first musclecar experience was Dad's 1966 SS396/360hp Chevelle with a 4spd and bench seat; it was new and so was I. He bought the car in Jan 66 and I came along in October. Then he traded it for a new 68 SS396 Camaro, that car was my favorite as he kept it until 1973 and traded for a 70 SS454 Monte Carlo. But the first one I owned was a 1969 SS350 Camaro in Fathom Green that my Dad sold new to a friend of his in Oct 1970. That guy traded it in on a new 1984 HO Z-28 in Nov 1983 at the same dealership of which my Dad was now the manager. I traded in a 1972 Malibu 4 door that was mint and I gave $100.00 boot towards the price of the Camaro ($1900.00). The next day I ordered a set of Cragar S/S wheels and done away with the mag wheel covers and drove that car until I traded it on a 1967 L79 Chevy II.....Those were the days.......RatPack.....

Dan 68 Chevy II
08-23-2001, 05:08 AM
I'm just curious but what year did you guys get your first muscle car,what was it,what got you interested in these cars and did you get to know your local Police Department because of these cars.
I'm sure some of you have some interesting stories.

Mr70
08-23-2001, 01:53 PM
My first car was an unmolested 1972 Chevelle SS with all documents.
I enjoyed that car.
I had just bought it in 1980 when I left it parked on a street overnight.I woke up to find someone had smashed into it at 40MPH in the rearend.It was a hit and run.The car was spun 100ft. down the street and turned sideways.The trunk area was pushed up into the rear window.Noone saw or heard a thing.Everbody told me to trash the car,but I refused.I was absolutely heart broken over what happened.I new this was a signifcant time in my life.
After the police filed a report and said let it go,I found the reminants of a 1983 blue Ford grill lying all over the street.The police were no help.So I went to every Body shop in town to finally find the culprit had come to one of the shops for an estimate.They gave me his name and address and I quickly hired a lawyer.
I sued him for 4k in damages,plus had him at the scene of a hit and run with jail time.But I couldn't prove he was intoxicated.
The guy was stunned I found him and the Judge praised me for my diligence.
I took the money and Restored the car down to the frame.Blue book on it was much lower then what I put into it,but I didn't care.
I was very meticulous with the restoration.
I sold it later on,but took pictures of before and after resto.
I have been hooked on this Hobby and Chevrolets ever since. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif

MikeA
08-23-2001, 04:20 PM
My first car was a 1972 Nova SS which I still own. When I was 15 our family was entering a shopping center driveway and I saw a Chevy (donĂt remember what model) with a śSS” emblem in the grill. I asked my Dad what śSS” meant and he told me and I knew I wanted one, it just looked cool. I drove my Dad crazy looking for Nova SS. My DadĂs system of price negotiation (offer half of the asking price!!!) made it nearly impossible for me to buy a car. We finally found one, after almost a year.

I did not have too many run-ins with the local police but one time I was waiting at a traffic light and 280z pulled next me with two guys in the car. After a brief conversation, decided to give the cars a little run. The light dropped and we both took off fast. When I shifted into second gear I happened to look in the rear view mirror and a police car was RIGHT behind us!! Of course he pulled us over and lectured us about racing but did not give us a ticket. I guess he figured our stupidity was punishment enough!!

Mike

[Edited by MikeA (08-23-2001 at 11:20 AM).]

Dan 68 Chevy II
08-24-2001, 01:20 AM
Ray,
So I see you like loud noises,can't blame you for doing it ,probably ran much better anyway.Music to your ears,427 uncapped,excellent.
Dan
P.s.Was going to bring 68 Nova SS 396 car to the Fredd Gibb show but couldn't cause of work,next year for sure.

GMH454
08-24-2001, 03:00 AM
First muscle car was a 67 427/390 hp corvette coupe in 1985.
Right hand Drive!!!!. Never owned a V8 before, but that was a life changing experience. Could not sleep properly for weeks.
Since then bought a 69 427/435 (also RHD)
An A-prod L-88 Vette (everyone should get to drive one of these at least once) and a local LS7 drag special.
As goes the quote from Two Lane Blacktop ...."you can never go fast enough"

Arctic Z Dan
08-29-2001, 10:25 PM
1998 Z/28 Camaro w/ straight exhaust and glass pack! I'm blown away that I haven't gotten any tickets for noise violations yet! I'm only 17, so I haven't had the chance to drive/own any other muscle cars other than my Dad's 2000 SS Ragtop and my Uncle's 2001 Formula Firebird. While cruising around today, I met an older gentleman who was driving a dark blue 1968 SS Ragtop. I followed him home so I could ask him some questions, and he had a Corvair and a 1965 Corvette 4 spd in his garage in addition to the Camaro!! Cool experience b/c I've never seen the cars before, but the guy lives right down the road from me. Dan http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/cool.gif

Dave Rifkin
08-31-2001, 11:45 AM
My first car was a 1970 1/2 Z28. Forrest green automatic, matching numbers. I should have kept that car. I love the sound of those solid lifters. Those early LT-1 engines were rock solid and could hang with many larger cube cars, I never lost a race in that car.

Keith Tedford
09-02-2001, 01:05 AM
Ray and I grew up in the same era. My first car was a 283 automatic Beaumont. Realized after about 20 minutes that this was NOT what I wanted. I eventually traded it for a 396-360 HP Beaumont 4 speed car. The following year I bought a '68 Ram Air automatic Firebird that was blueprinted with headers added and the Royal Pontiac Bobcat treatment. A pretty lively car to say the least. In '69 I bought the COPO Chevelle which we might eventually get restored. Might even surprise Ray at one of the shows some day. We have a nearly identical '69 L78 Chevelle that will have to do for now.