PDA

View Full Version : What exactly does sYc stand for?

Arctic Z Dan
08-29-2001, 09:37 PM
I've never heard anybody say exactly. Is it short for Yenko Super Cars? Thanks, Dan http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/cool.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-29-2001, 09:41 PM
Yenko SportsCars Inc.
M

08-30-2001, 01:49 AM
MARLIN, WHAT IS YOUR SOURCE? I BELEIVED IT DID MEAN YENKO SUPER CAR. IT SURE SOUNDS MORE IMPRESSIVE!

bkhpah
08-30-2001, 02:41 AM
The fact is it is Yenko Sports Cars. If you would like to see the proof come to the reunion. All liturature states Yenko Sports Cars, all awards the same.

Chevy454
08-30-2001, 03:30 AM
In the case of the club, it stands for "Yenko Sportscar Club", but Brian and Marlin are correct on what it originally stood for.

08-31-2001, 03:04 AM
WHY DO I NEED TO ATTEND THE REUNION FOR THIS TO BE PROVEN TO ME? I HAVE ENOUGH LITERATURE MYSELF TO LOOK AT. I MERELY THOUGHT THAT IT MAY POSSIBLY HAVE MEANT SUPER CAR WHEN RELATED TO THE "YENKO CONVERTED" CARS.

Keith Tedford
09-02-2001, 01:13 AM
Various old magazines from that era called it Yenko Super Car. Can't believe all that you read I guess because I always thought that was what the letters meant. A few years ago I found Central Office Production Order (COPO) in the front of a GM parts catalogue. Learn something new every day.

bkhpah
09-03-2001, 12:58 AM
Why ask if you know? BKH

09-03-2001, 02:29 AM
DID NOT SAY THAT I "KNOW", JUST THOUGHT THAT WAS THE MEANING WHEN APPLIED TO THE CONVERTED CARS. SORRY TO QUESTION YOUR "AUTHORITY". JUST REMEMBER THAT THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION IS THE ONE THAT IS NOT ASKED.ANYWAY, JUST BECAUSE YOU SAY SO DOES NOT CONVINCE ME IT IS THE INTENDED MEANING. WHEN DOES YOUR BOOK OF "FACTS" GET PUBLISHED, SO I DON'T EMBARASS MYSELF AGAIN! SERIOUSLY THOUGH, I COULDN"T CARE LESS WHAT IT STANDS FOR. I PERSONALLY HAVE NEVER HEARD ANYONE REFER TO THEIR CAR AS A "YENKO" AND "SPORTSCAR" IN THE SAME SENTENCE. SO WHERE AND WHEN DID THIS MEANING ORIGINATE? I STILL FEEL THE syc STANDS FOR SUPERCAR, AND SPORTSCAR REFERS TO THE BUSINESS NAME. PROVE ME WRONG. JUST FELT ONE STAB DESERVES ANOTHER. NOBODY LIKES A KNOW-IT-ALL!!!!

bkhpah
09-03-2001, 03:27 AM
I guess you just didn't understand that I was trying to get you to go to the reunion and bring your car. I was not questioning your ideas. I thought it would be nice to see some more cars at the show. I will not post to any more of your responses...BKH

GMH454
09-03-2001, 03:35 AM
A couple of posts in recent months have discussed Don's background. He first gained notoriety as a driver, and was favoured with special treatment from Chevrolet. Won several A Prod champs (from memory) in the East, and built his Corvair "Yenko Stingers" which dominated their class in the SPORTS CAR Club
of America competion. First Yenko sales literature is Stinger catalogs which refers to various hot packages. The first Yenkos were Sports Cars, hence the name.
(My lierature is at home so hope the memory is working)
The Camaros came later. In 1969 he would have been more famous as a driver and Corvair builder, the
Yenko Camaro fame came more in the 1980s

Unreal
09-04-2001, 03:15 AM
I've seen shots of the Yenko ID tags that say "Yenko Super Camaro." Not implying that the previous posters were incorrect, just noting that the confussion is understandable.

Chevy454
09-04-2001, 03:43 AM
I just took a quick glance at the few ads (http://www.yenko.net/oldads/oldads.htm) I have posted on this site, and in the Yenko ads, they all say "Yenko Sportscars" or "Yenko Sportscars, Inc". But, I'm not sure any of them are for the early ('67-8) converted cars, so I will take a look at the rest of our stuff, and see what I can dig up.

[Edited by Chevy454 (09-03-2001 at 10:43 PM).]

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-04-2001, 01:57 PM
Unreal;
What 'Yenko ID tags' are you referring to??
M

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-04-2001, 02:00 PM
Dave;
All literature that I have seen says Yenko SportsCars Inc., but I think one of the old Yenko race cars may have had 'Super Camaro' on the side. Of course, the magazines have been using it or years - incorrectly!! (but not surprising).
M

Mr70
09-04-2001, 02:06 PM
I think Unreal is talking about Specially made license plates.Many dealers had those made to advertise the car,as some still do it today.

[Edited by mr70 (09-04-2001 at 09:06 AM).]

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-04-2001, 02:18 PM
I don't think I've seen them either, what were they like?
M

SuperCars
09-04-2001, 02:19 PM
The GM Factory Exception Control Letter Sheets for COPO 9737 start with the designation at the bottom of Sports Car Conversion in 12-11-67. On 4-18-68 the ECL is changed and redesignated as Sports Car Conversion/Yenko/ (coincidently the same time frame a certain 68 Camaro showed up with 427 "special order Drag Car"). It would be my guess that SYC stands for Yenko Sports Car as a derivative or spin-off from the designation of "Sports Car" on the COPO 9737 Exception Control Letter Sheet from GM.

bowtie3168
09-04-2001, 07:28 PM
Here is the formula:
Start with one Don Yenko: add the desire to go SCCA racing with a Corvette (Sports Car Club of America): add the fact that the Corvettes were getting factored so that the Shelbys were doing better: add that Don's first group of cars were Corvairs: add documentation that was at the reunion: and that equals= Yenko Sports Cars.
Andrew

Belair62
09-05-2001, 02:13 AM
Guess we beat the hell out of this one !! O.K. so why did Nickey Chevrolet have a backwards K ? Was it just poor spelling ? http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/burnout.gif

JoeC
09-05-2001, 05:32 AM
SYC most likely stands for "Yenko Sportscars." In 1966 Yenko built his modified Corvairs to race in SCCA competition. They were converted to a two seat sports car with a fiberglass panel to make it look more like a coupe instead of a sedan. The Chevy emblems were removed and Yenko Stinger decals and stripes were added. The Stinger had many other modifications and Yenko was classified by the SCCA as the manufacturer. Yenko had to prove he built at least 100 Stingers and had to submit the serial numbers to SCCA. You could not race a Corvair in that class - you had to have a Stinger registered serial number. I have an original SCCA book "Production Car Specifications" where the production car model is listed as "Stinger Coupe" and the manufacturer is listed as "Yenko Sportscars." Also there is a cover letter written by Yenko where he introduces a new Yenko Stinger based on the Vega. In this letter he writes "Yenko Sportscars" distributed such names as the "Yenko Super Camaro" the "Yenko Chevelle 427" and the "Yenko Deuce." Although the term "supercar" was used in the mid 60's, I have so far not found any Yenko literature that used the term "Yenko Supercars".

MikeA
09-05-2001, 11:26 AM
Belair62,

Your right!! http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif That is what makes this site GREAT!!

MikeA

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-06-2001, 01:20 PM
Oh, my source is this guy Belk in Iowa, claims he had a visit from Don himself the other night along with Elvis....!! Some good corn in Iowa!!
M

Unreal
09-07-2001, 02:27 AM
Marlin,
I was referring to a picture of a serial number tag in Paul Zazerine's "How to Restore a Musclecar. The tag reads:

YENKO SUPER CAMARO
YS-8021
CANNONSBURG,PA

By the way, I notice that you live in Douglassville. I grew up in Bally, and graduated from Boyertown in '66. Maybe we share some common friends? my sister taught at Boyertown East JR high, until 2 years ago.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-07-2001, 01:02 PM
Unreal;
You are right, the tag riveted in the door jamb of the '68 Y-Camaros do say 'Super Camaro'. BKH reminded me of that the other day. I'm not sure I remember any license plates though.

As for Douglassville, we just moved there about a year ago. I don't know very much about the area except that I'm 40 minutes closer to Maple Grove Raceway and Carlisle, and that a Rallye Green Yenko Camaro was regularly serviced at the Mobil Station in Gilbertsville. (Still looking for that car). I'm also closer to two second owner '69 Yenko Camaros which BKH and I got to see when he was helping me stripe my car. Not a bad place to live, building like crazy though!
M

Unreal
09-08-2001, 02:49 AM
Nothing but farmland, when I was growing up!

sixtiesmuscle
09-18-2001, 12:24 AM
I was looking through some old magazines today, and, found the March '68 issue of "American Rodding". On the cover is a series of pictures showing Dickie Harrell's injected funny car with the caption "Dick Harrell's Wild Ride". On the door is a large Yenko crest, and, below it reads "Super Camaro Dealers" in very large letters. I know this thread came to a rather contentious end, so, can we allow that sYc has been used to indicate more than JUST Yenko Sportscars. Technically, it would be more correct if it was used for either Yenko Super Cars, or Yenko Super Camaros, because at least those each have three words, not two. As always, it seems that any proclamation that there is only one way to interpret this stuff seems ill advised.

Mr70
09-18-2001, 03:08 AM
Don't forget Yenko Super Chevelles or even Yenko Super Corvairs.

SuperCars
09-18-2001, 03:34 AM
Does this mean that I need to change the "sYc" on my 69 Yenko Nova to "sYn". Just kidding.

[Edited by SuperCars (09-17-2001 at 10:34 PM).]

JoeC
09-18-2001, 11:43 AM
Since Don cannot tell us what he meant by "sYc" we can only go by the paper trail that he left in his ads, letters, and press releases. Don loved sports car racing and participated in it from 1957 to 1987. He used the name Yenko Sportscars from 1966 to 1973 in relation to the Stinger, Camaro, Chevelle, Nova, and Vega. In 1967 he called the Camaro the "Super Camaro" but in several 1969 dated material he used the name "Yenko Camaro 427". The best proof that he did not use sYc to indicate "Super Camaro" is that in one ad he refers to his car as "THE YENKO S/C SUPER CAMARO." This to me clearly shows that Don did not intend "S/C" to stand for Super Camaro. I wonder if Belair Bob is laughing or crying reading this. :D

[Edited by JoeC (09-18-2001 at 06:43 AM).]

sixtiesmuscle
09-18-2001, 02:09 PM
"CLEARLY", we agree that at least on one car, at one point in time, the phrase "Yenko Super Camaro" was used. That's enough evidence to keep the jury of experts from labeling anyone who asks the question as an idiot.
This point has been bugging me a bit. If this board [and club]is meant to share and spread knowledge and love of "Supercars", then those who know more [or at least think they do] should share that information freely and with humility. There are occasions when legitimate questions are treated with disrespect for the questioner. Most people appreciate those who share their wealth of knowledge. NOBODY likes someone who puts people down for their lack of knowledge, or, a different opinion on a subject that should be open to discussion. I appreciate those who know more than me. I just don't like the fact that they know so much crammed down my throat in a condescending way.
I'd like to see, just once, people who have obvious differences of opinion say "Hmmm, I see your point. I hadn't looked at that possibilty", and, leave it at that.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-18-2001, 02:15 PM
Hey:
I think it could mean; Yenko Super ChevyII!!
Can't leave us Nova guys out of the speculation!!
M

SuperCars
09-18-2001, 02:46 PM
I agree with Mike, that it is a good reminder for us to have open minds. Sometimes I interject comments just for fun, like my "sYn" Nova only to keep a little light-hearted humor in the subject. I hope my joking wasn't interpreted wrong, as it wasn't meant as dis-respect to the question or person that started the thread. I think all questions asked are valid. Anyway like Mike points out, there is everything from publications, Logos, advertisements all having Yenko Sports Cars.... Super Cars...Super Camaros...etc. On any given day or vehicle, race car, it could be interpreted differently. It would take Yenko himself to set the record straight.

68TopStock
09-18-2001, 09:26 PM
When I visit the deserted dragstrip at Keokuk, Iowa next spring, I'll ask Don and Dickie about this matter, if I happen to run into them. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/burnout.gif

Belair62
09-19-2001, 01:00 AM
Everyone knows it stands for whatever "I" say it stands for...and i say it stands for "Yellow Super Chevelle" end of story.... http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/burnout.gif

Charley Lillard
09-19-2001, 01:04 AM
Everybody always told me it meant "Your Stupid Charley".

Belair62
09-19-2001, 02:12 AM
It was accepted that it did stand for that for many years Charley.However that has been disproved.I found a note tucked in my seats that specifically said it stands for "Yellow Super Chevelle".It is still a mystery as to why the "Y" is biggerin the logo though.I assume it may have ben the same ad man that spelled Nickey Chevrolet with a backwards "K" . http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/crazy.gif

Casey Marks
09-19-2001, 12:34 PM
My contention is that it stands for:

stephen Yovanovich clary

Rob and Anna's NEXT kid ! http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif

Chevy454
09-19-2001, 12:40 PM
Casey:

I tried to get the wife to go along with that on our newest child...seems she didn't like the idea http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/crazy.gif! BUT, I think I agree with you...seems pretty cool to me!

Unreal
09-19-2001, 07:52 PM
Maybe on mine, it stands for stinkin' Yenko clone.

Belair62
09-20-2001, 12:20 AM
Update on the Nickey backwards "K"....the owner of the dealership...Nickey Yovanovich Pastafazool was cixelsyD...............

I guess we have to do something to get our minds off of the terrible events of last week. Rob C....the makers of Pampers are coming out with the new Yenko disposables..they come with the SYC logo but your child adds the racing stripe http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/burnout.gif..OK I'm done...