PDA

View Full Version : Supercar reunion pics

DaveBonnell
09-02-2001, 05:31 AM
Hi guys, great show! I loved seeing all of these ultra rare supercars! It's not everyday you get to see 30 yenkos, Nickeys, and Baldwin cars all in the same room.

Some interesting info a few of you St. Louis guys might like is that my grand father used to be the sale manager of Francis Chevrolet in the late 60's and then for Johnny Londoff in 1970 Londoff. He is responsible for bringing in most of the SYC cars to the St. Louis area. When Don Yenko came to St. Louis for business in 1969, Chevrolet had my grand father show him around town. Kinda cool when I was talking to my grand father a few years ago about cars and Yenkos, and he says "yeah I met him once, he was a pretty nice guy."

Anyways heres the link to the pictures:

http://pub79.ezboard.com/ffbodyassociationofstlouis7554frm1.showMessage?top icID=134.topic

Dave
'95 SLP/Pontiac Firehawk #237

Dave Rifkin
09-02-2001, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the pictures. That aqua Nickey Camaro is beautiful. I wish you had taken some pictures of the Phase III GT Corvette that I saw in the background though.

Belair62
09-02-2001, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the pics Firehawk...sure wih I could have seen them in person ! Nice cars everyone.

Chevy454
09-02-2001, 10:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="">quote:</font><HR>It's not everyday you get to see 30 yenkos, Nickeys, and Baldwin cars all in the same room. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

30! Try around 45! [Note: the reason I say "around" 45 is due to the lack of my making to the Gateway Center before everyone headed to the track http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/frown.gif!] Anyway, EXCELLENT pics Dave!

1996Z15: We will hopefully have pictures up on the Reunion page within a couple of days, and you can check out that 'Vette...

DaveBonnell
09-02-2001, 11:53 PM
Thanks guys, yeah I had a blast! By the way do you guys consider the newer Camaros and firebirds modified by SLP Engineering, or that 2001 Berger Camaro, as "Supercar" material? I mean they were farmed out to SLP and Berger. I'd just like to know what you guys think. I wonder about this question from time to time.

Hey also, If any of you local (St. Louis area) Supercar or muscle car guys want to have a joint show/cruise with us (F-body Association of St. Louis F.A.ST. for short, please drop us a line at our message board or email me at [email protected]. We would love to do a joint event with you guys any time! Our club consists mostly of the newer LT1 and LS1 powered cars but we do have some 1st and 3rd generation f-cars. Again, we would love to do something with your club. Thanks!

Dave
95 Firehawk #237 315hp all stock
member of F.A.ST.
http://pub79.ezboard.com/bfbodyassociationofstlouis7554

p.s. I work for one of the largest diecast 1/18th scale model car retailers in the midwest; Designs In Motion www.inmax.com/dim (http://www.inmax.com/dim) If you guys need a car is diecast we probably have it in our 1,500 car inventory. Give me a call and I'll see what I can do 800-250-8848 http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif

bkhpah
09-03-2001, 12:54 AM
Just got back from the reunioun. As usual a great event. Looking forward to the next one already...BKH

[Edited by bkhpah (09-02-2001 at 07:54 PM).]

Chris396
09-03-2001, 01:15 AM
I had a blast! My convertible used a half a tank of gas each way, and got covered in bugs on the way home. It was incredible to see those cars run. And I'm sure everyone feared my mighty 16-second run.

Arctic Z Dan
09-03-2001, 05:30 AM
That Light Blue Yenko towards the bottom was beautiful!! Dan http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/cool.gif

JoeC
09-03-2001, 10:46 AM
It was like the movie "Field of Dreams" where the guy built the baseball field in a cornfield after hearing a voice say "If you build it, they will come." Well, Tom built it and they came. A room full of SuperCars. Yenkos, Motions, Harrells, 427 COPOs, ZL1s, LS6s, and Z/28s. I heard several people say it was the most fantastic show they ever saw. Sunday morning I ran by some old corn fields near the hotel. I was pretty tired from staying up late but I could have sworn I saw Don Yenko, Dick Harrell, and Fred Gibb walking back into the cornfields. Great job Tom !

Jeff H
09-03-2001, 03:33 PM
Great pics. Looks like it was a great show. Now I can't wait for my 69 Z28 JL8 crossram car to be finished. It's going to take at least a year though.

moparts
09-03-2001, 03:35 PM
Well Said Joe C

9566 BA
09-04-2001, 05:09 AM
Again well said Joe C. I got a pretty good idea of what my idea of heaven is I seen it last saturday. Great event good job Tom. ... Jeff

Horseman
09-04-2001, 09:52 PM
I do believe that was by far the best show ever, that I have ever had the chance to see I usually don't say much I'm still learning from all you guys. I too drove in Friday, mouth dropped wide open. Seeing you guys drive the cars out of the trailers hearing the run WOW. If anyone did not make it to the show you missed out on THE SHOW. Tom Great show. I bet Don was smiling down at us with a smirk on his face. See you all next year. Craig S

68TopStock
09-05-2001, 04:34 AM
JoeC

After reading your comment about "Field of Dreams" I thought you would like to hear what I did after Brian Burford (Jerry's son, Jerry worked for Fred G.)and I left St. Louis on Sun. am. We took hwy 67 north through Beardstown, which happened to be the home of the old Beardstown dragstrip, visited by the likes of Dick Harrell, Arnie Beswick, etc. in the 60's. It was there that the first pic. of Dick H., Fred G., and Herb F. was taken, with Little Hoss, and the '67 Yenko sponsored 427 Camaro FC, in August or Sept. of 1967.

We found the old abandoned strip (closed since the early 70's) on the southeast side of town, off Arnsville Rd. The owner's of the home next to the property allowed us to drive onto the strip, which had the left lane covered with farm implements. I could not resist, and unloaded Little Hoss and fired her up. I took several light passes down the old strip, and then visited the spot wear Dick, Fred and Herb stood for the pic. The old pole, which held the AHRA sign was still present. During this time I reflected how, at that spot, 34 years earlier, these men were just starting a venture which would lead to the heritage they gave us.

That night I actually dreamt about Dickie's (that's how Helen G. refers to him) Yenko altered going down that strip, turning off on the second turn off lane, and coming back on the dirt return lane. I had similar thoughts about "Field of Dreams" when I left the place, as it was surrounded by farm fields.

Dan 68 Chevy II
09-05-2001, 11:22 AM
I couldn't believe you found the old track where it all started,EXCELLENT,great post.Maybe they could make the Field of Horsepower Dreams,I know I would see it many times.

JoeC
09-05-2001, 04:11 PM
Ken, It was nice to meet you, Herb, and the awesome Little Hoss. Herb and Little Hoss have a lot to do with COPO Supercar history since they helped get Fred Gibb involved in drag racing. This involvement lead to the 1968 L78 TH400 COPO Nova and the ZL1 Camaros. Did you take any pictures at the abandoned track? Herb had a great story about when they got the early experimental cross ram from Chevy. Maybe you can type the story here. I don't know if I remember it correctly because he was telling it at the drag strip during racing. It was something about Sox & Martin being very surprised to get beaten by the little 302. It was great to see and hear the car.

http://members.aol.com/chevelleyenko/images/hf.jpg

69yenkoman
09-05-2001, 04:57 PM
68TopStock:

Great post that is really cool, I'm glad to see that someone else enjoys that kind of thing too. These guys at that time had no idea the kind of history they were making, and allowing us to enjoy today. I know I wish I would have been born 15 years earlier so I could have lived the era as well.

68TopStock
09-05-2001, 09:30 PM
JoeC

I do remember the story told by Herb, however, it did not involve "Little Hoss" or the crossram, unfortunately (I wish it did). The "facts" of the story may be somewhat "blended" by time, as Herb has so many stories to remember and tell.

I think the conversation started when I asked Herb what happened the first time he raced the #1 ZL1, at Phoenix, for the '69 Winternationals (AHRA). We were speaking to Gary H.?(owner of the ZL1 at the track). Herb beat Ronnie Sox, who had just been given the honors of the '68 Driver of the Year, for AHRA! This story is in the '69 April SSD&I, and is guised under the "upsets of the week-end". Herb also may have beaten Ronnie Sox, once the ZL1 was fitted with the experimental tunnel ram, however, I do not have any written material yet about that story.

I'm am so glad Herb is such a regular guy, who is willing to take his time to share with me and others. He was the #1 ZL1 salesman, thinks he sold 18 (?), and the first person on the planet to race a production ZL1. He told others back at the Hotel on Sat. pm that Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins was so mad when he found out they had 50 ZL1 cars, that he had a guy come down to LaHarpe to check out the claim with magnet in hand! This may have been how word got out to other dealers of the order. The fact the other dealers wanted ZL1's saved Fred Gibb from losing a lot of money, as the cars were not as easy to sell as the COPO Novas were.

The first time I spoke to Herb, seven years ago, when I found "Little Hoss", he thought the crossram they had received was the first one made, however, I have no way of proving this, and have come to the conclusion it may have been one of the first 25 made. The shipping records are dated 5/6/68 with Vince Piggins name on the records. The first crossram manifolds did not have part numbers on them, like the '69 units sold to the public. Some of the early units had 0-prototype numbers. I do know that the manifold that came off of "Little Hoss" was sold in 1978, to someone in the New England or NE US for $400.00, through a "parts wanted" ad run in the National Dragster magazine! Someday I hope to find the original manifold. The crossram was fitted in early June, after the Bristol Springnationals (2 records), and was allowed under the Formula 1 Stock class, Multiple Carburetion in AHRA. It is believed to be the first nationally raced, crossram fitted Z28 Camaro for the drag strip.

By the way, I did take several pics at Beardstown, and a short video of one of the runs. I do not know how to post pics yet, may have to learn.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-06-2001, 12:44 PM
To post pics, just go to www.boomspeed.com. (http://www.boomspeed.com.) It is the easiest to use, and best of all - it's free! If you have questions, let me know.

A special thanks for bringing the Little Hoss racecar, and for all of the memorabilia that was available Friday night. I had a nice time reading all of the articles and looking at the photos/advertisements. What a cool car.
Marlin

JoeC
09-06-2001, 01:32 PM
Ken if you have trouble posting the pics email them to me I will post them

sYc
09-06-2001, 02:39 PM
"42" appears to be the official number of registered supercars. 1-'67 Gibb Z racecar, 2-67 Nickey Camaros, 1-'68 Yenko Camaro, 3 '68 Gibb/Harrell Novas, 1-'68 Harrell Chevelle, 14-'69 Yenko Camaros, 3-'69 Yenko Chevelles, 2 '69 COPO Camaros, 1 COPO Chevelle, 5 ZL-1 Camaros, 3-70 Yenko Deuces, 1-Gibb LS-6 Chevelle, 1-'70 COPO Camaro, 3 Baldwin-Motion Vettes, 1-'81 Yenko Turo Z Camaro. Plus, an awesome display of Yenko, Gibb, Harrell and other supercar related memorabilia. Tom

[Edited by sYc (09-06-2001 at 09:39 AM).]

68TopStock
09-07-2001, 03:56 AM
My above post mentions Gary H., I think we were talking to Mark Hassett, while we were in the staging lanes. Sorry for the error, I met too many people last weekend and my memory is starting to go. At the last Fred Gibb Reunion, 8/4/01, I gave Herb a copy of the April '69 SSD&I (Super Stock Drag Illustated), with the article about the Winternationals and his beating Ronnie Sox. Herb is such a modest fellow, that when I asked him what happened the first time out racing the ZL1, the first thing that seemed to come to his mind, was that he backed it off the trailer, and hung up the front wheel before it was off! I reminded him he also happened to beat Ronnie Sox during that episode at the track.

I think this is also the race (the first) that Paul Pryor had to fly directly to the racetrack from Detroit, to deliver the correct carb. before the tech inspectors would allow them to race.

It was great to see the ZL1's and Yenko's and COPO's, and the Gibb LS6 convertible at the track. I know how much effort, time, and expense it has taken the owners to prepare their cars. I thought I might have been a bit out of line wanting to take my car out, but now realize that the track is the only place for her, when considering future shows to attend. My hat's off to Tom and Rob and the others for allowing track time as part of the reunion.

By the way, if any Gibb car owners did not received a Cordova World Series pit pass from 1968, please give me an e-mail. These were from Herb's first Top Stock Eliminator win at the World Series of Drag Racing, after several attempts, with his previous racecars.