PDA

View Full Version : "New Yenkos", what is your opinion

sYc
10-11-2001, 04:22 PM
From time to time, the sYc is asked to endorse a Yenko related product, including cars. In the past, I have resisted, do to the fact that I am a purist, and there is no longer a Yenko Chevrolet.
But, as I reflect on the past and look towards the future, I can see where it might help in the promoting of the Yenko name/legacy, if done right. I have seen first hand what the re-releasing of the new Berger cars has done for the Berger name, including hi-po cars sold there in the past. A whole new generation is getting exposed to Berger and their cars, through coverage in most of the major car magazines. Berger cars, old and new, have never more popular. I have attended several events with these "new" cars and can safely say that the cars CAN coexist. I have had a chance to drive one of the new Berger cars and had a blast. If only it had Yenko on the side. Tom

mnyenko
10-12-2001, 12:03 AM
What a great way to promote the new retro camaro when ever it becomes available.First generation tie to the next generation.Any interest from a large Yenko dealer like Colonial to do the next generation?One of the original selling dealers would be a good sponser.Earl

Keith Tedford
10-12-2001, 04:45 AM
This whole Yenko idea might have been just the ticket to save the Camaro. Can you envision a factory built, Yenko striped car. Power it with the Corvette LS6 under a COPO deal. If the people in GM only had some imagination. Something as simple as the Smokey and The Bandit movie saved these cars in the 70s. All of a sudden every second person had to have a black T/A and next thing you knew the Z/28 was back. There is still time yet.

MikeA
10-12-2001, 05:25 AM
Like your post indicated Yenko Chevrolet does not exist so how can a new Yenko car be produced? Just because a Yenko badge is placed on a car does not make it a Yenko (i.e. clone cars). I think someone else on the board indicated that any new Yenko produced must have a connection to the past as the new Berger cars do. At this point I do not know of the connection other than the name.

It is my opinion that if a person is against clone cars than I think it would be difficult to endorse any new Yenko produced.

Charley Lillard
10-12-2001, 02:10 PM
Keith....Wake up.............. :-)

Keith Tedford
10-12-2001, 11:09 PM
Sorry Charlie. The idea is just too simple to work. Terrific dream though.

[Edited by Keith Tedford (10-12-2001 at 06:09 PM).]

JoeC
10-13-2001, 11:34 AM
Chevy did a 2000 ZL1 Camaro concept car that would be worthy of the Yenko stripes. How about a 2002 ZL1 COPO? They are making the block again but I don't think the GM lawyers would approve.
The 2000 ZL1 info......
"At the heart of a laundry list of updated ZL1 modifications is the powerplant: an 8.4-liter aluminum-block pushrod V8 making a foot-stomping 770 horsepower at 6900 rpm and a raucous 683 lb.-ft of torque at 5200 rpm. Transfer of power comes via a five-speed manual transmission and a three-disc hydraulic clutch setup.

On the numbers side, that potential is realized in a 0-60 mph time of just 2.7 seconds. The ZL1 runs the quarter-mile in 10.410 seconds (137.19 mph) and has a top speed in excess of 230 mph."

http://www.fast-autos.net/camarozl1pics.html

Chevy454
10-13-2001, 12:23 PM
That's the car that ran against the late model Boss Mustang on Car & Driver, or Motor Trend, whatever show that was. Dad has had the luxury to see it a couple times this summer and said it's an awesome car, and sounds just as good as it looks.

[Edited by Chevy454 (10-13-2001 at 07:23 AM).]

Charley Lillard
10-13-2001, 02:20 PM
And they didn't even use a Chevrolet block in it.......Go figure.......

Chevy454
10-13-2001, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. They used a Donnivan(sp?) aluminum block. I don't think they had started remanning the "new" ZL-1s whenever they originally built the car, though. I think I read where that car was a prototype car, or a test mule or something, and they added the newer ('98+) front clip. Either way, that car is an abosolute BEAST!

[Edited by Chevy454 (10-13-2001 at 09:37 AM).]

Charley Lillard
10-13-2001, 07:01 PM
Dan...Wake up...This is the new Muscle car Era... Ever drive a ZR1 Vette ? A new Lightning pickup ? SS Camaro ?

Dan 68 Chevy II
10-13-2001, 08:31 PM
I like the old shake,rattle and roll.

COPO
10-13-2001, 08:52 PM
My friend just purchased a new bright red Z06 Corvette w/6 speed. That car absolutely flies! Nonetheless, I too remain partial to the old ones.

Dan 68 Chevy II
10-14-2001, 05:10 AM
Yenko should be associated with the past super cars and not the present. Leave the past alone and create an entirely new name without the name Yenko in it.Personally I wouldn't buy any new performance car since they will NEVER be like driveing a TRUE MUSCLE car from the past.Old Muscle CARS,there is no substitute!Old big blocks never die.

William
10-14-2001, 05:33 AM
You guys must not have read the C & D article. Both cars suffered drivetrain failures during the short test period.

DaveBonnell
10-14-2001, 10:10 PM
Check out these new Dealer tuner/super cars....
http://www.gmmginc.net/index.shtml

Isnt the Yenko Chevrolet dealership still Around? I think it would be really cool if they did it. It would not be hard take a new Camaro SS fully optioned out with all the SLP goodies, then add a Z06 cam, heads, and computer tuning, a set of headers, and boom 427hp. Then do a duece style stirpe that wraps over top of the rear spoiler and runs down the door to the front fender, have a SYC arrow on top of the SS scoop. I personally would like to see a Nickey Camaro too but I believe Nickey Chevrolet is no longer. I plan to build my own 99-02 Nickey Camaro SS in a few years as a tribute to the old dealer tuners cars.

Chevy454
10-15-2001, 03:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="">quote:</font><HR>Isnt the Yenko Chevrolet dealership still Around? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, here is the only Yenko dealership left: Yenko Honda (http://www.yenkohonda.com/)

bullitt
10-16-2001, 12:07 AM
A Lightning? I think I'm going to throw up. How's the saying go, "No matter how much you polish it, a turd is still a turd." I saw one a few days ago, but it stayed in my rearview mirror, where it belongs. I think the October Road&Track has a pic of the Corvette Tiger Shark with a supercharged 427 with 742bhp! It would make a great 50th anniversary car. Some guys at GM still know how to make them, but the bean counters are probably not going to allow it. Remember, these dudes killed the Camaro and Firebird. I had an old magazine of that Donovan blocked Camaro that came out in '94, I think. That Boss Mustang was pretty bada**, too. It's going to be hard to find a newer Chevy dealership with a staff who'll stand behind their cars like a John Lingenfelter. BTW, didn't he just help Holley develope some BBC aluminum heads?--Bullitt

Charley Lillard
10-16-2001, 01:56 AM
You don't like the Lightning ? 380hp Eaton Supercharged, Intercooled , high 13's right out of the box. 13.50's with about 650.00 of bolt on parts. And you can haul stuff with it. Now guys are running mid 12's with them and are shooting for the 11's... This is Muscle car stuff. I don't know what you have that is a daily driver that keeps you in front of a lightning but it must be fast.

Dan 68 Chevy II
10-16-2001, 02:21 AM
Sometimes it's not the fastest but what's the coolest" Old Muscle".

Belair62
10-16-2001, 10:23 PM
All the new stuff is cool but I'd rather set the timing than burn a chip....Charley...hear anything more on the new ZL1 deal ???

TXYenko
11-04-2001, 10:49 PM
I think a proper representation of the "Yenko" name should consider some thought. As an example. I am a bird hunter and collector of Parker shotguns made in the U.S. in the 1900's era. Most of my guns are damascus steel barrels and will not handle most of the modern ammuntion loads on the market, and specialty ammo is very expensive. Winchester bought the rights and is now make "Parker Reproduction" shotguns. They have all the beauty and feel of my real ones, shoot modern ammo, and cost about half of my real ones, and best of all are replaceable if lost by an airline or outfitter. As a teen ager, I never heard the yenko name, and my father was a huge Chevy fan and Corvette restorer. It wasn't until I was almost 30 that I was bitten with the Yenko/COPO bug. So, to keep the memory alive, and that light burning in a younsters eye...maybe reviving some things in life that are fun and bring families together might not be such a bad idea.

Jeff H
11-07-2001, 12:48 PM
These newer cars are being built under the same premise as the older ones. Guys take these newer muscle cars out and race them. Isn't that why the 427 cars were built in the first place? I personally know a guy here in NJ that still runs the original block in his 97 SS 30th anniversary convertible and he just pulled a 9.11 at 154 in the quarter mile last week. And the car is still driven on the street and passes most emissions tests. The new Berger and the Earnhardt SS cars certainly live up to the name of "supercars". They cost a lot, but so did the ZL1's. I've got a 69 Z28 JL8 car (Charlie knows this car) that I'm restoring with a crossram and a 93 Z28 Indy Pace Car that I run a supercharger on and drive to work every day. I love em both.