PDA

View Full Version : COPO @ 2002 Barrett Jackson

Camaroinaz
11-20-2001, 02:51 AM
Was looking through the Barrett Jackson List and saw a '69 COPO Camaro. Rallye Green, Cnadian w/ "CE" block. Anyone know the history of the car?

COPO PETE
11-20-2001, 11:06 AM
Does the car have green interior or black. If it's the green interior and last two vin digits are 85, it would be the one Legendary Motors did and had for sale within the last year. There was a link to it from this site.
Let me know if you get some info on it. Will they fax the GM of Canada paperwork if requested?
Peter

Mr Yenko
11-20-2001, 07:40 PM
Speaking about the canadian documentation.I heard from a VERY GOOD source the we are getting closer to GM releasing documentation for our cars.Its a little foggy to me,but I was told it is like when we doc. a Pontiac? Anyone else hear this?

Camaroinaz
11-20-2001, 09:25 PM
The car has a black interior. Here is the BJ description:
DOCUMENTED BY GENERAL MOTORS IN CANADA. CORRECT 427/425 1969 "CE" BLOCK. CASTING # 3963512. ENGINE COMPLETELY REBUILT, BALANCED AND BLUEPRINTED BY AMERICAN MOTORSPORTS, ORLANDO. M-21 TRANSMISSION WITH 4.10 POSI 12-BOLT REAR-END. PAINTED TO ORIGINAL CODE #79 - RALLYE GREEN METALLIC. BLACK INTERIOR (#1). X44-D80-ROSEWOOD STEERING WHEEL (NOT A REPRODUCTION) AND HURST SHIFTER.

Charley Lillard
11-20-2001, 10:34 PM
Heard that also Mr Yenko.

Belair62
11-21-2001, 12:33 AM
Been hearing that for some time now but it seems to never happen.I would imagine there would be a lot of cars for sale cheap if it ever does !

Jeff H
11-21-2001, 12:33 AM
Is the GM documentation story for real this time? I've heard this so many times that I gave up hope that it would actually happen. I thought the records were lost or thrown out. Being a database programmer, I would love to see that data in a nice big database. We all know that most people don't mind paying a small fee to make sure the car they are looking at is legit. Keep your fingers crossed.

x44d80
11-21-2001, 01:03 AM
my fingers are crossed about the gm verification. can you say from what source? i dont want to pry if it's on the qt. didn't i just read in a previous column that someone inside gm was told to go anywhere to find the record and didn't find anything?

LITTLE TOMMIE
11-21-2001, 01:34 AM
SOUNDS LIKE THE COPO DON WATTIE FROM CANADA
USE TO OWN

COPO PETE
11-21-2001, 01:51 AM
Pretty sure it a'int Dons car. This thing has headers, optional MSD box, open air cleaner with K&N. If it was, someone took off the dog dish and stuck on a set of rims!
Peter

COPO
11-21-2001, 01:55 AM
I too have heard many things about this. One source said that there not all records are available and they are not organized.

Mickey Hale seemed to be pretty close to the source about the potential for documentation. Perhaps he'll chime in with an update.

Mr70
11-21-2001, 01:56 AM
And Don Wattie sold it to Fred Nolan here in St.Charles Il.
Fred sold that Camaro (if this is the same one) to a guy in the NorthEast about two years ago.He said he got 65K for it.Fully restored to the 9's with Canadian Doc.
I saw it just before he sold it.He did alright.
Fred still has his Frost Green 69 COPO Chevelle for sale.

LITTLE TOMMIE
11-21-2001, 02:05 AM
FRED WHO? AND HOW MUCH

COPO PETE
11-21-2001, 03:27 AM
Don actually had two rally green Camaro's at the same time. If memory is correct, one had a CE block and the other had the original motor. Both Central cars I believe. I thought Fred got the one with the original motor. The other one is suppose to be in the US but not sure on that.
Little Tommie.....I see it's your second post, so you're new here. When you type in capitals all the time, it is generally thought of as your yelling!.....relax...have a beer!
Peter

micky69396
11-21-2001, 03:34 AM
The person doing the documentation search is a registered member here and has been working on this project for a long time. I dont want to come out and say who he is and have everybody emailing him to death on the subject. I am sure if there is anything to be reported he will let us all know, if there are any remnants of paperwok to be had. This is a really large deal. Can you imagine trying to go thru a ton of film to see if anything is around. Chevrolet is a large operation, besides all the red tape to go thru, just finding what your looking for has to be a chore.

Stefano
11-21-2001, 03:45 AM
Does anyone know the reserve set for the COPO?

Keith Tedford
11-21-2001, 05:44 AM
The GM of Canada car documentation is/was on microfilm which was copied from shipping lists. When we had our car documented quite a few years ago, they actually printed out a page of the shipping list containing the car info along with whatever other cars were on the same page. There were key codes, option codes and some other information for each car. The GM Oshawa guys printed up the information from these pages and deciphered the codes for a very nice presentation. People building and selling fakes might be getting just a little nervous about now.
To see Fred Nolan's Chevelle check www.batterytoppers.com (http://www.batterytoppers.com) He is asking $63K.

[Edited by Keith Tedford (11-21-2001 at 12:44 AM).]

COPO PETE
11-21-2001, 11:13 AM
Stefano, unless I'm reading it wrong, there is no reserve.
Peter

Jeff H
11-21-2001, 12:20 PM
Hate to keep mixing up the subject in this post so this is the last I'll post about documentation. If they do find documentation on GM cars, I'll volunteer to help enter information into a database if it will help us weed out the fakes that are being presented as originals.

Keith Tedford
11-21-2001, 11:32 PM
It sounds like the one that was at the Oshawa show a year ago August. It looked pretty good and seemed to have all the documentation. Cars sold new in Canada would also have the GM of Canada documentation as well.
Sorry. Wrong colour. The one at the GM show was dark green with black interior.

[Edited by Keith Tedford (11-21-2001 at 06:32 PM).]

LITTLE TOMMIE
11-22-2001, 01:51 AM
sorry pete, i'm new at this and maybe some one can walk me through it!
thanks for the help though, most of the time my wife doesn't let me drink, but i told her pete told me to. lol
no really i'll learn
thanks
little tommie