PDA

View Full Version : Not Supercar related .... but I'm sure you guys will understand.

Casey Marks
12-09-2001, 03:09 PM
Apparently, Ronnie Sox is battling advanced prostate cancer. The following link is off of Moparts, and has an address for him, if you're interested. The battles between him and Grumpy are stuff legends are made of .......

http://www.moparts.com/ubb/ubb/Forum1/HTML/063016.html

RN
12-10-2001, 12:36 AM
Yeh Casey Sox and Jenkins were the 2 hottest Drivers in the early Pro Stock wars as Jenkins was the fastest Chevy and Sox was the fastest Mopar! This guy here in Md did an artist drawing of Bill Jenkins and Ronnie Sox squaring off at the 70 WinterNationals and its in color and about 36 x 24" and it is a great pic of nostalgic Pro Stock racing at its best! Think it cost $90 big ones but I plan on buying for my basement!! I wish Sox the best!! Ron

JoeC
12-10-2001, 01:35 PM
The wildly popular 68' 69' match races between Sox & Martin and Grumpy was a major reason why NHRA started the Pro Stock class in 1970. The fans wanted to see big motors race heads up and go fast. Sox & Martin and the Grump gave them what they wanted. Grumpy won the first Pro Stock meet running in the 9s but Sox & Martin won the first championship. I hope Ronnie can now win this battle with cancer.

bowtie3168
12-10-2001, 02:07 PM
Casey,
Thank you for letting us all know about Ronnie("Mr. 4 Speed",Mr. Clean")Sox. I have been very blessed in the fact that I have gotten to meet him several times in my adventures at Raceway Park. Let me tell you guys that he is exactly how he appears, nice, gracious, friendly, and never too busy to shake your hand or to take a photo with you. I hope that everyone in the group takes a moment to say a prayer for "Clean Ronnie", I know that I will.

Andrew
P.S. Casey, Ronnie got his career start in one of the first Supercars: the 1963 Z11 Impala sponsored by Friendly Chevrolet, "Where Friend Meets Friend".

69sixpackbee
12-11-2001, 02:46 AM
Ronnie Sox is a very nice and friendly man. I got to meet him once at Mid America Raceway in Wentzville Mo. My mother had gone to the races with me and my girl friend and a couple of my buddies. My mother went to use the rest room and on the way back got a bit overheated it was a very hot day, Ronnie let her sit in his air conditioned truck till she cooled off then walked her by the arm over to where we were at with my dad's car. I was all of 16 at the time and so tounge tied all I could say was thank you. I got to talk to Ronnie in 1999 at Monster Mopar Weekend at Gateway, I told him again how much I appreciated what he had done for my mom. Ronnie said he remembered her and that she talked his arm off, I said that's my mom. I wish him the very best.