PDA

View Full Version : A interesting Yenko story

ssl78
12-18-2001, 12:30 AM
In 1986 I bought a 1969 Yenko Camaro, it had a blown L-88 in it at that time. While trying to locate a correct engine for it, I was told about a person who had a Yenko Camaro engine in his garage that he was selling. Like any other insane car nut, I couldn't wait to go see this engine. Who knows it could have been the original engine to my car. When I finally was able to see the engine, I was disappointed it was a MQ code. Then I noticed it was a 512 block. Realizing it was out of a 427 Chevelle, I bought it. As soon as I was back home I called a person I knew who could identify the serial number on the block. I was told it was out of a Yenko Chevelle and the car was not found yet. This was a Jack Douglas blue car. Now comes the title search, after about two years of trying to track this car down, I ended up at the last known owners address. The house was vacant so I talked to a nieghbor and asked about the car. She pointed to a cement slab behind the house and said the car was in that garage when it burnt down and the guy I was looking for was in jail. Not exactly the way I wanted this to end, but at least I had a perfect engine for my Camaro. Years went by and I never did put the engine in my car. In 1992 I sold my Camaro (what a mistake) but I kept the engine. About a year later I got a call from the same person who told me the engine was out of a Yenko Chevelle and asked me if I still had the engine. I said yes, why you didn't find the car did you? He sure did while having his Chevelle at Chevy Vettfest a guy said he thought he had one sitting in his garage and he sure did. I told him I would sell him the motor but I wanted to see the car. So when he picked up the car he stopped by my house and the Yenko Chevelle was reunited with its original motor. I know who he sold the car to but have no idea where it went from there. Last time I saw the car it was for sale in pieces at The Chevelle Nationals in Schaumburg IL. I am curios what happened to this original motor blue Yenko Chevelle. Anybody know?

Stefano
12-18-2001, 01:43 AM
ssl78,
To whom did you sell your Yenko Camaro?

Mr70
12-18-2001, 02:03 AM
Welcome ssl78
I think I may be able to find out.But first what year was the show you are referring to?
We held the Chevelle Nationals in Shamburg in 1994-97-98.
I was there all 3 years with my Chevelle and friends cars.
Was the Chevelle in question from Il. at the time,or out of state?
Was it in the carshow,or Corral,or swapmeet area?
Was it literally in pieces?
Was it a Manual trans./Bucket seat?
Not that there were alot of these at these shows,but every little bit of info helps.
I took many photos,so I may have it here or have the issue of the Club Magazine it may have been in at that show.
Can you add any more details?
Rick

ssl78
12-18-2001, 02:19 AM
It had to be 1994 because i had my 1969 Chevelle L78 convertible in that show. The Yenko was sitting in the back row it was painted blue and the motor was sitting in front of the car. That year there was also a 1969 gold Yenko Chevelle for sale i think 45k could have bought it.