PDA

View Full Version : Book On Motion Cars

AutoInsane
12-18-2001, 04:33 PM
Are there any books out there on Motion cars? I know there are a few in Muscle Car Classics, the book on the Otis Chandler Collection.

If not has anyone here thought of writing the book??

Dave Rifkin
12-19-2001, 01:45 AM
I've always thought that it would be great to have a book devoted to nothing but specialty cars such as the Motion cars. Unfortunately I'm not a writter nor do I have access to these cars to photograph and document. Not to mention you'd need to have an extensive knowledge of these cars to write a book about them. Nevertheless, I wish that somebody would do a book about these cars. I was too young to really appreciate them when they were new but I have a great interest in them, especially the Motion cars since my parents took me to the Motion building in 1969 or 1970 and they spoke to Mr. Rosen about getting a Phase III Camaro. Just to be able to see the Phase III Gt Corvette that was in the showrrom was worth th trip.

COPO
12-19-2001, 12:41 PM
I agree, it would be great to see a book entirely devoted to an indepth review of the history of these cars. Imagine someone with the technical detail that Alan Colvin used in his CBTN's books. Marty Schorr would be a good candidate to write the chapter on the Motion cars. Most of the musclecar books merely show some pictures, but never get into the details and history. I suppose pretty pictures sell. I'd like to see the great photos along with great text. It would certainly be on my christmas list.

The book on Otis Chandler's collection had superb photography, but missed the mark on the text. Maybe one day.

JoeC
12-19-2001, 04:14 PM
Marty would be the best guy for a Motion book. I spoke with him a wile back and did suggest it. His reply was "oh maybe someday". Marty lived down the street from Motion back in the 60s. Him and Joel still talk.

Chevy454
12-19-2001, 04:21 PM
I think part of the problem is that there really wasn't a cut and dry method to building ANY of the Supercars, much less the Motion cars. Picture books are easier to write, as just a general owner history and some nice pictures are all that's needed. A book with actual part numbers and build info requires a LOT of work, and often times a lot of the info is based on theories.

I agree, though, a book like that would be a "must have" for myself and many others.

Dave Rifkin
12-19-2001, 10:55 PM
For me I wouldn't need part numbers and such. What would interest me the most would be the history of the company and how each car came to be along with pictures of actual production cars as well as any development "prototypes".

Wacky174
12-20-2001, 01:56 AM
Your best bet is to look for the '68/69/70 Issues of Hi-Performance "CARS" magazines. Motion Performance is everywhere in these magazines and Joel Rosen has his cars in many issues as well as articles and ads about his involvement with SuperCars and power boats. He was a contributing writer to the magazine back then....

Wacky

Mr70
12-20-2001, 02:04 AM
That would be very interesting reading material.
I know Videotape cameras back then were not as popular as they are today.But I wish someone would have shot a nice Documentary by walking through an entire Chevrolet Dealership back in 1967-71.
Yenko,Baldwin/Motion,Fred Gibb,or even Dick Harrells Service Dept.,Showroom,offices,outside lot etc.
That would be cool to see even in 16mm or 8 mm.Such a simple idea that I know today I would pay to have a copy of it. If we only knew then,what we know today.....

68TopStock
12-21-2001, 02:25 AM
Does anyone know the whereabouts of Jim Tice's relatives, or partners? I wonder what happened to the archives of material, written and caught on film, of the many races he put together. He was the president of AHRA. I believe there are some videos available on mysterion.net of some of these. Somebody out there has to know, maybe an old buddy remembers....

COPO
12-24-2001, 05:36 AM
Found this link. http://www.zlx.com/camaro/dealer.htm