PDA

View Full Version : Baldwin Motion Novas

12-31-1969, 11:00 PM

Alan Munro
04-30-2000, 01:24 AM
Can anyone provide me with some history on these cars?

What years were these offered?
What engines were available?
Any details on available colours/stripes/wheels?
Production numbers by year?

My interest lies in an upcoming release of Ertl 1:18 B/M Novas and I am curious about the accuracy of these.

Thanks for any help.
Alan

rbernat
05-01-2000, 01:18 AM
alan,
i believe 1968 was the first year b/m started advertising the nova line.this continued until the early seventies.depending upon which year car your were ordering you could have had anything from the lt-1 350 to the 454 phase three engine (70-72).i had been contacted by the ertl company thru joel rosen to help them produce a car using my phase 3 nova as a starting point.they had talked about using my cars details along with information from old car test to produce a car.

Alan Munro
05-08-2000, 10:21 PM
Do you have a picture of your car anywhere I can look at it?

Have you seen the 5 Baldwin Motion Nova's that Ertl is releasing? I'm just wondering how correct they are?

Thanks for replying,
Alan

rbernat
05-09-2000, 02:42 AM
alan,
ever since ertl had been aquired by racing champions i have not had much contact with them.i do know that they are supposed to have the stinger type hood .many details of the hood were sent to them.i hope that they produce one like mine in black .they seemed to be favoring producing one in green with american type mags like on the camaro.i wish i could tell you more.the only picture of my car to appear in any magazine was a old musclecars magazine mid 80's feature the musclecar show and go in englishtown nj. where i was one of the participants.

Alan Munro
05-13-2000, 12:50 AM
If you have time check out the pictures of the upcoming Baldwin Motion novas on this site.
http://www.nationaldiecasters.com/page3.htm

Do any of them look like your Nova?

Any idea on the production figures on the B/M Novas?
Thanks, Alan

COPO
05-13-2000, 01:31 AM
I have a 7 page road test of a '69 BM Phase III SS-427 Nova from a 1969 issue of CARS Magazine. The Nova was outfitted w/a 4.10 rear, headers and corvette side exhaust, phase III hood, 4 speed, 950 holley 3-barrel, dual electric fuel pumps, Super-Bite traction bars, and slicks. Car listed for $5,200. The article said the ZL-1 engine was also available as an option.

Drag results were 0-60 in 5.2 sec and 1/4 11.88 @ 115 mph. With 4.56 gears and the optional cam, it was good for mid 11's @ 120 mph.

[Edited by COPO (05-12-2000 at 08:31 PM).]

JoeC
05-13-2000, 06:59 AM
I have some magazine articles on the Motion cars and one shows a 1968 Nova like COPO discribed. Stinger hood, 67 Corvette side pipes, and what looks like 7in wide Torq-thruster mags. The pictures are black and white and were taked on the street but you can see a haze of white smoke coming off the rear tires as the car was being "tested".

rbernat
05-13-2000, 02:11 PM
alan,
i have seen the cars you mentioned.none are a duplicate to mine.my car is black w/o any stripe,vinyl top or side exhaust.my car does have cragar wheels.it would have been nice if ertl produced one like mine.i do not know of any other confirmed motion novas.my car has been registed with joel since the early 80's.i had talk to him approx.1 year ago and he had metioned that my car so far has been the only documented phase three.the car mentioned in the test was to be exported out of the states to puerto rico i believe.not many have been made but they have to be out there.joel has done a great job weeding out the bogus cars so i guess that accounts for the rarity.

COPO
05-13-2000, 03:51 PM
The road test mentions "the car was sold 4 days later to a man who traded in his Camaro because it was too small for the family." Talk about a grocery getter!

rbernat
05-14-2000, 01:53 PM
anyone looking for info on these cars should look for the following magazine tests.
hot cars may 69
hi-performance cars mar 69
speed and supercar feb 68
both 69 articles appear to be the same car but claim to be sold to different buyers.

Alan Munro
05-23-2000, 02:17 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. It sounds like these Baldwin Motion Novas were pretty rare cars. Too bad one of them is not exactly like your car.

Has Joel Rosen ever said how many B/M novas were made?

Regards,
Alan

rbernat
05-23-2000, 02:53 AM
ALAN,
JOEL WAS QUOTED AS SAYING THAT UNDER 100 NOVAS WERE PRODUCED BETWEEN 1968-1974.THE FEWEST WERE MADE THE LAST THREE YEARS.IF YOU NEED ANY OTHER INFO LET ME KNOW.
RICH

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-31-2000, 04:18 PM
Does anyone know who owns the B-Motion Nova that is pictured in the early 90's Nova issue of Super Chevy? It has a stinger hood, hood tach, cragars and side exhaust. Will check on the exact issue, but it was the one with M.Miller's '70 Deuce, R.Morrison's Harrell and other specialty Novas.

Are there any B-Motion Novas in Georgia??
Marlin

COPO
06-01-2000, 02:19 AM
Milton Robson lives in GA (just north of Atlanta) and might own one of these. He has (had) some of the rarest chevy muscle cars around.

sYc
06-01-2000, 02:32 PM
I just thought I would mention that besides Rich's (rbernat) Phase III Nova, he also owns another Baldwin-Motion car...a '69 Biscayne! In, fact, it is this month's feature car! So check it out: www.yenko.net/June2000.htm (http://www.yenko.net/June2000.htm)

Motion called this car the "Street Racer Special"...how true!!!!

------------------
Yenko Sportscar Club
www.yenko.net (http://www.yenko.net)

[Edited by sYc (06-01-2000 at 09:32 AM).]

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
06-01-2000, 08:15 PM
The old Super Chevy Magazine with the Baldwin Motion Nova photo is June 1990. The same photo was shown again in the June 1995 issue of Super Chevy. This car also has a vinyl top, Atlas style wheels, rocker moldings, and 'SS427' marker light bezels on the front fenders. Any idea who owns it??
Marlin

rbernat
06-02-2000, 02:23 AM
marlin,
i haven't seen the super chevy issue you mentioned by it seems that most article mentioning motion nova's show an archive photo of the same car used in the old road tests.if you look closely at the hood,does it look like the a&a fiberglass unit or one that looks like a scoop was grafted on.joel went thru a couple of hood designs.the first being the hood with the grafted on look,then the a&a design followed by the l88 style.