PDA

View Full Version : Yenko Deuce interiors

04-09-2001, 02:11 PM
In a discussion on another board, I made the claim that there were no Yenko Deuces built with bucket seats. A couple of others quickly pointed out that that I was wrong, that there were bucket seat-equipped Deuces.

I don't mind being corrected, but I must know the truth. Thanks!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
04-09-2001, 03:06 PM
Bob;
You are correct, there were no '70 Yenko Deuce Novas with bucket seat interiors. All of them have 731 code interiors; black, standard, vinyl, bench seats with rubber mat.

The '69 Yenko Novas are also believed to have all been black, standard, vinyl, bench seat interior cars.

To my knowledge, there is only one real '70 Yenko Nova that has bucket seats currently installed - even though they are incorrect - it is Reggie Jackson's red car. Unfortunately, his car was one of the first cars to get 'restored' and photographed for the magazines, therefore, the first impression is what people remember. However, several of the 'cloned' '70 Yenko Novas have bucket seat interiors, makes it fun to point out to the owners when they claim that their car is 'exactly like a real one'!!

Incidentally, the 'sYc' on the headrests is only for the '69 cars, the '70 Yenko cars never received these, even though you might find it on some of them.

Marlin

[Edited by YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (04-09-2001 at 10:06 AM).]

bkhpah
04-09-2001, 04:41 PM
M, I am fairly certain that the bench seat Novas and Chevelle's did not recieve the sYc headrest logos...BKH

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
04-09-2001, 04:59 PM
Bk;
You are correct, I should have clarified in my earlier post regarding the sYc was on the bucket seats.
M

[Edited by YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (04-09-2001 at 11:59 AM).]

04-09-2001, 06:43 PM
Thanks! The claim kinda threw a big flag with me, but I know one should be careful with the words "never" and "always".

For the sake of sharing more lore, I've read that Yenko had considered producing a Deuce in 1971, but the plan never came to fruition. How close did he come to getting them produced, and was it Yenko or Chevrolet who nixed the idea?

If it isn't obvious, I love the understated and potent Yenko Deuce, and along with the 340 Dart GTS (oops!), it has to be the smartest and sneakiest of muscle cars.

[Edited by Bob Core (04-09-2001 at 01:43 PM).]

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
04-09-2001, 07:21 PM
Bob;
There was a plan to produce both the Yenko Deuce, and another car called the 'Yenko Ace' for 1971. Yenko was ordering 150 sets of tires for 14x7 wheels designated for the Yenko Deuce, and 400 sets of tires for 15x7 wheels designated for the Yenko Ace on September 3,1970.

We do not believe either car was produced for 1971, but do not know which side cancelled the plans. It is also not known what the 'Yenko Ace' was going to have for a driveline. One theory is that it was going to be based around the 396 engine, because of the larger wheel size, but was cancelled when GM did not offer the 396 in the Nova for '71.

Marlin

MikeA
04-09-2001, 08:08 PM
"Yenko Ace". Sounds like it would have been cool!!

bbdon
04-11-2001, 05:24 AM
If you want to know what really happened to the big block Nova, and to the rest of the low production musclecars, COPOs etc, read this clip. It is from John Delorean's book, "On a clear day you can see General Motors". You might want to drink a big cup of coffee first though, this could put you right to sleep. I read the whole book a few years ago, and I can tell you that it was the dullest book I ever read. The second clip is from the good old days, taken from the 1969 Nova brochure. Quite a difference.
All of the Musclecars probably would have died by 1973 even without this deproliferation program, but I think that this shows why they were gone in in 1971 instead of 1973.
http://www.sonic.net/bbdon/free/depro2.jpg
http://www.sonic.net/bbdon/free/depro1.jpg

MikeA
04-11-2001, 11:34 AM
bbdon:

Good post. Based on that clip, 2700+ dash cluster variations on the Camaro was amazing. If you look at it from GM's standpoint the move made sense. It all comes down to money.