PDA

View Full Version : Hood Emblem Location

Unreal
04-18-2001, 01:04 PM
Could someone offer me the "correct" location of the 427 badge on the cowl hood. I'm sure it varies, since they were installled somewhat haphazzardly, but I'd like to get close. A measurement from the short part of the rear of the scoop to either the trailing edge of the badge, or the first hole would be very helpful.
Thanks for your help.
Gary

Yenkofan
04-18-2001, 02:30 PM
Mine measure 21 1/8 inches from the indented part of the cowl hood to the edge of the emblem. Good luck.
Gary

Unreal
04-23-2001, 02:04 PM
Thanks alot.

I assume the emblem is in the vertical middle of the raised portion. Is that correct.
Thanks again.
Gary

Yenkofan
04-24-2001, 04:18 PM
Mine are not centered vertically.
They are "laying" on the curved portion of the hood where the hood and raised cowl meet. This leaves approx. 1/2 inch space at the top of the cowl portion.
Gary

Unreal
04-25-2001, 12:22 PM
Gary,
Thanks for the help.
Gary

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
04-25-2001, 08:31 PM
Hope this helps a little, original hood with holes.
M

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=378134&a=2796933&p=47176905&Sequence=0&res=high

[Edited by YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (04-25-2001 at 03:31 PM).]

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
04-25-2001, 08:33 PM
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=378134&a=2796933&p=47176905&Sequence=0&res=high

Unreal
04-27-2001, 01:25 PM
I'm not very smart....can someone make this a hot link, so I can get to it? I tried to go there, but it kept saying I was making an error in the address.
Thanks,
Gary

Chevy454
04-27-2001, 01:40 PM

[Edited by Chevy454 (04-27-2001 at 08:40 AM).]

Wacky174
04-29-2001, 08:49 PM
Boy that picture looks familiar !!

COPO
04-29-2001, 10:19 PM
Sure does http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/laugh.gif

SnThetcOil
05-13-2001, 12:24 AM
You want to, "get close"? What do you mean?
What do you need this information for?

Steve

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-15-2001, 05:32 AM
SnThetcOil:
The originator is building a 'tribute car', hence the name 'Unreal', so he does not have an original hood to measure from.
M

SnThetcOil
05-21-2001, 04:32 AM
As I suspected, which denegrates the real Yenko Camaro's.
It is no, "tribute" to drive a car that is a fake, a bogus imitation, a lie.
I will never help anyone build a fake car.
It also opens the door wide for fraud when the car is resold. We have enough of that problem already withut encouraging even more of it.
The idea is to preserve automotive history, not to blur it with fake cars.
I see no honor in driving a fake car and certainly no, "tribute" either.
There were 199 1969 Yenko Camaro's built by Chevrolet factories and sold by Don Yenko Chevrolet. Period. Let history stand as it is, as it was inteded to.
As an owner of an original 1969 Yenko Camaro, I am not exactly thrilled with the idea of fake Yenko Camaro's driving around either.

All the Best,
Steve

PxTx
05-21-2001, 11:22 AM
I often have similar conversations about destroying the value of the Harley-Davidson with the sales of Japanese clones. I still have not been able to completely understand the rational.

It seems that people don't go for clones becasue it "cheapens" the real thing. I guess when you have big money into these cars, you have to be concious of that.

Kind of a shame that, for some the market dictates how great a Supercar owner feels about his car. I guess there can be some resentment for atrificaily lessening the value of a particular model.

I would be very interested in continuing this thread, as I am in the process of assisting a B-M Nova clone.

Paul Tholey

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-21-2001, 02:34 PM
Steve;
This topic has been beaten up before, but we all agree that demand exceeds supply on these cars, which has driven the prices beyond the average enthusiast capabilities. There are a lot of very knowledgeable enthusiasts who still want to enjoy the ownership of a Yenko car, and feel that they can have some satisfaction with a cloned car. Nobody is thrilled with the idea of clones, but they exist, so we learn how to spot the real ones. Many of the clones' owners are more knowledgeable about Yenko cars than those who own a real one. So, don't bash the cloners, one of them may just save up enough money to buy yours someday!!
M

Belair62
05-22-2001, 01:42 AM
Very well said Brian and Marlin.....there is no way to avoid it.They will be built no matter what anyone says. There sure seem to be a TON of cloned Y Camaros out there right now.The least they could do is be somewhere near accurate in their depiction.

Denis
05-22-2001, 04:48 AM
I think replica Cobras are like fake boobs. They sure look nice but they just aren't real. There are so many silicone boobs everywhere you look that it's impossible to appreciate a God-given pair when you see 'em.

Charley Lillard
05-22-2001, 04:53 AM
Denis,,,,Calm down boy...

bkhpah
05-22-2001, 05:02 AM
As long as the cars are popular, what are you going to do. I am not a fan of these clone cars either. Look at all the Cobra kit cars out there. Two buddies of mine are building ERA comp 289 Cobras and to tell you the truth, they are fantastic. I dont think the clones are killing the value of your real cars. The real deal is just that, real. And I know a few clone owners that are more versed on the real cars than many owners of legit ones. If guys are building clones it only proves that they love the real ones. This is never going to end and it has been beat to death on this page and likley many others...BKH

JoeC
05-22-2001, 10:22 AM
Denis - When you're looking for a "God-given pair" you need to check the date code.

bkhpah
05-22-2001, 11:43 AM
What does that have to do with cars?..BKH

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-22-2001, 03:19 PM
Let's not get too far from the subject which I think is fake CARS not human body enhancements!

Syn:
I understand your apprehension towards someone showing up at your local hangout with a cloned car. However, we have seen one of our buddies with a cloned car absolutely run circles around a 'real-Yenko-car, owner' with his knowledge of details, options, history, memorabilia, racing, research, ect.... Which guy is more deserving of Don Yenko's original intention for these cars?

Unfortunately, not every cloner falls into this category, and they can really create problems for everyone else. This is obviously why we are not big fans of clones.
M

Belair62
05-23-2001, 02:12 AM
There is a certain relaxed feeling when driving my Nickey Clone.....you don't necessarily soil your pants when someone gets too close or you accidently drop a 1/2 inch socket on the deck lid !!! I will leave the real ones in the garage most of the time.Why get ulcers ? I went to grab a bite at a local drive thru with a 62 Corvair Spyder Cvt. at the end of last summer.A senior citizen forgot that I was in front of him and forgot to stop. Must have been hungry but he had no idea he even hit me.Luckily new bumpers are cheap for Corvairs but imagine if it was something more valuable.(no wise ass comments about Corvairs) http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/burnout.gif

Unreal
05-24-2001, 03:59 AM
Steve,
What do you mean, "As you suspected"?...I told you that expressly, when you emailed me directly to quiz me about why I was asking for the information. You can call me, and anyone else with a clone, whatever you want. That's your right, and you don't ofend me. However,I doubt many classic car owners, Yenko or otherwise, have them for the "honor." They have them for the enjoyment.
As far as your point about future owners selling them as real, the reality is, we live in a buyer beware world. Anyone who spends $ 80,000 to $100,000 because of a decal (or proper location of a 427 badge, for that manner) is an idiot.
Having said that, I offered, both on this forum, as well as directly to the Super Car Registry, to initiate and maintain a registry for clones, to reduce fraud. My offer was ignored, leading me to believe that the issue is not about concern for potential fraud, at all.

I applaud the fact that you have a real Yenko...I wish I did, too. The reality is I don't have the money.
Someone once made the point that there are still undiscovered Yenkos out there that, if found, could be purchased cheaply. I guess it's OK to take advantage of the unsuspecting, if you luck onto a real one, but it's not OK to pay a fair price for a grocery getter, and convert it to a clone.
Doesn't seem consistant to me.
Gary

bkhpah
05-24-2001, 04:51 AM
Gary,
I just do not get your logic. If you feel that people that own a real Supercar and have invested a large amount of hard earned money are an IDIOT, why even post here. I would say that most of the posts from guys building a clone car have been answered very respectfully. It seems that you have been defended by owners of real cars as well. Anyone that has ever posted here and thought they may have found a legit Yenko has been helped out without any fees ever. What is your problem? Why would I want to keep track of all the bogus cars out there? I know how to tell the difference. It's obvious you don't. So lets crap all over the guys that do, that makes good sense! If you have a problem with SnThetcOil, settle it. I don't know you or SnThetcOil, but I never posted bad about either of you...BKH

05-24-2001, 11:31 AM
BKH, I think Gary might be referring to someone paying 80-100k for a clone car, not a real car? Anyone who buys a supercar without documentation is an idiot, or has a silver spoon half in their mouth!

Belair62
05-24-2001, 10:18 PM
I think he is saying that anyone who pays 80 to 100k would be kind of stupid to solely buy it based on the correct location of badges etc...without checking authenticity by any and all means available.I dont think there is anyone that dumb..That person would have the silver spoon halfway in their nose ! As for a clone registry .....just too many of them to track ! Hell people are making all kinds of low production cars up now. Buicks,Olds,Pontiac,Rambler,Ford,MoPar. Buyer Beware....

Unreal
05-25-2001, 02:10 PM
Brian,et al
It is not my intention to alienate anyone. Maybe I was unclear about my "idiot" comment. Supercar owners are not idiots. Anyone who pays Supercar money for a car, and doesn't know how to tell the difference (or enlist someone to represent him) is an idiot. I do recognize that most of the comments were supportive towards clones and cloners.

I do not profess to be a Yenko expert, but I do know many of the things that make them unique. Some of the less obvious details were learned on this fourm. I follow this forum because I am very interested in Camaros in general, and Yenkos in particular. I read much more than I write, because most posters are far more knowledeable than me. I only post when I feel I can offer something, want to ask something, or feel like someone is challenging my integrity.
I have a great deal of respect for those like yourself who consistantly offer up your knowledge and experience to others.
Again, it is not my intent to alienate anyone. Neither is it my intent to pass myself of a Yenko owner. I am interested in learning more about these truly unique cars, and will continue to build my clone. If the resources ever become available to allow me to purchase one, then you can bet I will do so. In the meantime, I would like to continue to learn and to enjoy the hobby in the best manner I can.

If you, Tom, Marlin, or any of the other real contributors to this forum would prefer that I just "shut up and color" I can do that, too.

Gary

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-25-2001, 03:25 PM
Gary;
No need to 'shut up and color', it is questions like yours that separate the true cloner's from the 'profit seekers'.

When you own a real Yenko, it does take a while to get over the reality of clones. I will not be thrilled when I am finally done my car, and take it to a show only to park next to a '71 Yenko Deuce clone and have to answer questions all night why mine is the real one. However, this is the way things are, and I have found that most real cloners have a true respect for the real deal.

As for buying a real car from an unsuspecting owner? I don't know of many people who spend a lot of time researching how to spot a real one, track one down, and then tell the owner what it is before trying to buy it. There is the occasional goofball that educates the seller, but why? Everybody wants a list of numbers so they can verify one if they think its real. (The seller would also have it then.)

In reality, the two real '69 Yenko Camaros that were found recently did not need a list to be able to tell that they were real - you just have to spend the time learning what to look for. The more people that know what to look for, the more cars that will be found!

Yenko:
I must be one of those 'idiots'!!!! I bought my car without a stitch of paperwork or documentation. I had done my research, and went over the numbers on the original block - not realizing that the CTB was for a Z28. I took an educated risk, and was rewarded with some documentation later on. I know what you mean though, it is crazy for people to spend big money and not ask the right questions.

M

COPO
05-25-2001, 08:30 PM
Marlin,

I am curious about the 2 - 69 Yenko Camaros recently found. I know about the Fathom Green one obviously, but haven't heard about the second one. Can you provide some details?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-25-2001, 09:02 PM
Charlie;
The other one was a Lemans Blue, 4speed car that is probably one of the earliest build dates. This car was originally sold out of Stauffer Chev. in Scranton, PA, but was found in West Virginia based on a tip given to a guy in western PA. The guy knew what to look for, noticed the appropriate items, and purchased the car. It was quickly resold a few times.

Another car that was 'found' was the Clary's '69 Yenko Nova. This car was found in Kansas I believe. You never know what is out there.
M