PDA

View Full Version : B&M details

PxTx
07-06-2001, 03:00 AM
I have been helping my 16 year old sister with her 69 Nova B&M clone for about a year now. It is in the home stretch and should be ready in a month or two.

Now I know how some people feel about clones, but for those who would rather see us recreate the car as accurately as possible, I would like to ask your help regarding the final details of logos, stickers and badges.

Here is what we have:
69 Nova- Frost Green- Looks just like the Ertl Baldwin Motion die cast.

Have the Stinger hood, and period correct Sun tach, long tail traction bars, Phase III air cleaner (not trying to make a Phase III clone). "CE" 427 motor, and hopefully soon a 3 barrel carb. Have the MP dyno stickers and the chrome/black Baldwin Chevrolet sticker

Finally...The Question:

The Ertl model shows the Motion emblem on the rear trunk lid. I don't think this is actually correct. I have some vintage literature that shows a 69 Phase III Nova NEW with a different sticker or badge on the left rear area of the decklid. It has the 427 emblem then next to (not above or below) there is a logo that looks like it has two characters then a space, then another 3 characters and then the Chevy bowtie with the word Chevrolet inside the bowtie. It does not appear to be the Baldwin Chevrolet sticker. If I can't make determine what this is, I'll substitute the Dealership sticker I do have.

I had also planned to head out to some old NY junkyards to pickup the cast Baldwin dealership emblems off some old trucks and stuff. Does anyone know if any of the cars ever had cast dealer emblems?

Next are the Motion emblems, I welcome anyone offering me information to help my own castings for this project to be as correct as possible.

I plan to locate these emblems on the raised area of the stinger hood, the valve covers, and I am undecided if I will use on the decklid- any suggestions guys?

I have some of the other designs in the literature I mentioned earlier, but anyone able to direct me to other pics, I plan on tracing them with Adobe illustrator and recreating these vintage stickers for this period correct project.

What to you think guys? I can be contacted at [email protected]

Paul Tholey

whitetop
07-06-2001, 01:54 PM
Paul
I would not look at the Ertl diecast as being correct. The company is just trying to produce as many as they can in different color combinations to make $$.
I have never seen a real B/M Nova with the stripes anyway-not to say they have not been produced.
You can use the "lost wax" technique to make the emblems. Another methood you can use is to make a good one out of plastic etc and then cast as many as you want in in resin and have it plastic chrome plated.
whitetop

[Edited by whitetop (07-06-2001 at 08:54 AM).]

JoeC
07-06-2001, 06:09 PM
Try Tim at 865-380-1996. He has a lot of Super car items is usually at most of the big shows.