PDA

View Full Version : 1968 SS Camaro?? COPO?? Interesting Mystery!!

Steven J
06-29-2001, 08:25 PM
You might also want to try; www.camaros.net (http://www.camaros.net) and www.camaros.org (http://www.camaros.org) You will need to get all of the numbers and codes from the engine, transmission, differential, body trim plate on the firewall, and the VIN, to see what you really have. Good luck with the project.

Iwaite
07-01-2001, 11:17 PM
Found in friends garage: 1968? SS Camaro. Hideaway headlights, bench seat, 4 speed, vinyl topped, car. Has 427 with alum heads sitting next to car. He said that he bought the car with a 427, but I read that the 396 L-89 SS came with aluminum heads also. Maybe he is mistaken. He is losing his sight, but used to drag race cars and seems to know his stuff - or we are just easily impressed. He purchased the car off the SHOWROOM FLOOR with in Arizona in 1969 after completing his military service. Since then he has had the car. He says that he purchased this car with the 427 for around $4400. Since then he has "enhansed" the value of the car with a trailer hitch and some custom wiring (we bought a 63 Cad from him that had some very interesting wiring - guess you shouldn't wire when you can't see), but other than that, the car really appears to be how it must have been. The car is in deteriorated condition and has been torn apart for over 20 years - hasn't been registerd since then. The car has the chrome down the doors and drip rails. The car is black. He is getting old and I thought maybe he was confused and it was a 1969, but it doesn't have the vented quarter panals, so I am pretty sure it is the 1968. Is it possible that a COPO car could have had a bench seat? If the car is a 396 with alum heads does that mean it is a COPO or does it have to have the 427 with alum heads to be a COPO car? In 1968 could it even have had a 427 without being a Yenko car? Car has been repainted we believe with a color change - maybe yellow?? or white?? seems to be light colored paint chips. It is under 20 years of garage clutter and we have really not had a good look at the whole package - the most accessable part of the car so far has been the motor and alum heads. We traded the car from him are doing some research as we wait for it to be delivered from accross town. My husband seems to remember a double louvered/bumped hood? Can't remember what the dash looked like, or the stripes or lack there of. When the car arrives I will post more detail. Car has front spoiler (stuff under front bumper)? Has front disc brakes with 4 pistons. What does anyone know? Anyone ever seen that bench seat? How might I find the dealer who sold the car? Do they keep these kind of records very often? How would I go about decoding the numbers on the vehicle? Where do I find the numbers to decode? Any key numbers that could end the questions? dash options? Arizona is close to CA, could this be a Dana car, nobody seems to know much about those? Any help or resourses or comments are greatly appreaciated. WHAT DO I HAVE?

Numbers are very difficult to see and get to still, but hopefully I got them right.
More Info:
Numbers:

Drivers side in front of exhaust port: 585 over 8.

Backpass head: L HC
Inside top center pass head: 3904392 porting serv LA Calif.
Frond head passenger side cast sign
Intake of heads: MonDello's VLA 49667
Heads are alum rectangle w/ oval exhaust ports.

Pad Passenger front Block # CL954577 with an E under the L

back drivers block: 3955270 Townrads Top GM 1 Conv 2

Vin # 124378L316308

Body by Fisher
Top ST 68 12437 LOS 15846 Body
11E------------------------>U552
TR715 G-6 Paint

12 bolt rear end
double bump hood w/ four square vents each side.
dual piston calipers front disc brakes
power brakes/steering

trans #3884685

3885010 us pat# 3088336

Vinyl top appears to be maybe added later on.
Color under vinyl hood is maybe a light green or gold?

[Edited by Iwaite (07-01-2001 at 06:17 PM).]

GMH454
07-03-2001, 03:47 AM
My it gets quiet here sometimes, where's whitetop when you need him. All right I'll bite.
The casting number on the block is for a late 1968 year 427. Around Sept to Oct if I am right. Found in 1969 Corvettes etc, but I believe 1968 Camaro production should have ceased by then .
The car might have had a 427 from the factory but not the one you are looking at. The engine number is a Counter exchange/ Chevrolet Engine. Sold over the counter by Chevrolet and sometimes used for warranty puposes. Intersting that it is CL with the E underneath the "L". A stamping error perhaps.
The intake facinates me, I knew Mondello did head mods but are you saying it was a casting number.
(Well I can dream can't I)
Rgds Terry

Kurt S
07-03-2001, 03:48 PM
I saw that you got a hold of Guldstrand and got some good info.
Hard to say what it was originally, but from the dates, that owner probably didn't buy it new.
66 or 67 trans.
Gold car with white top. Black deluxe bench.

The axle code is located on the passenger side axle tube. Look under 'Decoding' on the CRG (www.camaros.org) website for a great sketch of the location.