PDA

View Full Version : 69 Nickey Camaro

SuperNovaSS
09-11-2001, 01:27 AM
I just bought a 1969 Camaro that was represented to me as a Nickey car. It is a X-66 car with a turbo 400. It has been sitting since 1973. I was wondering if anybody knows of any ways to prove or disprove it is a Nickey car. It has quite a few modifications including a SW tach that is headliner mounted along with SW gauges mounted in dash, rear fender flares, electric trunk solenoid with gas filler tube in trunk, electric fan, traction bars, and a line lock. The car had water injection before. It also has a tow bar mounted in front. The car has 27,000 actual miles. It was painted when the flares were put on and there are no emblems on the car. The guy said he thought the car was raced by Dick Harrel. This seemed strange to me since Harrel built his own cars.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Jason

Mike Garfinkel
09-23-2001, 12:56 AM
Jason, I had the 1967 427 L-88 Camaro, that Dickie Harrell raced for Nickey Chevrolet, back in 1967. During our swing out to the West Coast, in Jan-Feb. of 1967, there was a falling out between Dick, and the management, of Nickey Chevrolet, and at that time Dick contacted Yenko Chevrolet, where the car was relettered and became a Yenko Camaro, making it the only Nickey-Yenko Camaro ever built. Unfortunately that was 34 years ago. I also didn't have the foresite to capture all this in photos, like I should have. Now to answer your question, there was no-way that a 1969 Nickey Camaro would have been raced by Dickie Harrell,as he was no longer associated with Nickey Chevrolet.

SuperNovaSS
09-23-2001, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the info. I talked to the original owner and he gave me the real story. The car was bought from the Dick Harrel Performance Center in Kansas City. For the detail you can look at my posts in the general info section.

Thanks again,

Jason

GMH454
09-24-2001, 03:09 AM
Mike, thanks for that... someone HAS to write that book someday.
Terry