PDA

View Full Version : Deuce rear springs

NWYENKO
09-18-2001, 12:01 AM
The rear of the Deuce is sagging. I would like to replace te springs. Are the available 5 leaf sets O.K. I don't know if it is better to rearc the originals or does it really make a difference. Classic Industries and the Nova club have 5 leaf replacements.

Charley Lillard
09-18-2001, 01:56 AM
Here out West we fix them correctly with Air Shocks.....

SuperCars
09-18-2001, 03:13 AM
Or maybe it's time to go on a diet!

bkhpah
09-18-2001, 12:59 PM
If you feel that the car is low. Rebuild the originals. Reproduction springs sit way to high and are not accurate in look..BKH

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-18-2001, 01:48 PM
Jim;
Don't buy the replacements!!! The latest replacement springs look better than the earlier ones, but they are still noticeably different than the originals. The differences are the anti-squeak pockets, they should be a rectangular depression at the ends of the leafs, not a small plastic protrusion or round depression. The shape of the 5th leaf is also a little different, as are the clamps.

Make sure you have the correct, original springs in the car, and then get them re-arched - I think its even cheaper!
M

SuperCars
09-18-2001, 01:56 PM
Jim, I am just kidding about diet; I think I am more of a candidate for one than you. Anyway I agree with Brian and Marlin. Benz Springs in Ballard here used to do the re-arch on them. Its been many years since I've dealt with them. Don't even know if they are still there, but just look in the phone book.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-18-2001, 02:08 PM
Jim,
By the way, the deuce is supposed to 'sag' in the back, and there are a couple of reasons why a Yenko Deuce would 'sag' a little more than most '68-'72 Novas.

First, the COPO 9737 incorporated 'air-conditioned' part #'d front coil springs into the cars, (this was not part of the F41 package). These springs are not a lot different than the non-ac springs, but were designed for the additional weight of the ac package. Obviously, the weight of the AC package is not on the Yenko Deuce, so the front end will sit a little high.

The F41 package consisted of special heavy duty shocks, another reason, and special sway bars front and rear. When I checked the GM manuals a few years ago regarding the proper ride heights, I found that the F41 cars will sit something like an inch higher in the front, and an inch lower in the back.

Finally, this 'stance' is just how they designed the car. If you look at the original sales brochure, none of the cars are sitting level - much less higher in the back like people restore them to look!
M

NWYENKO
09-18-2001, 02:14 PM
WOW!! Thanks for all the responses. The reason for the concern was at a show last weekend a friend of mine and I were looking at the picture of Cliff Ernst red car and noticed it was sitting more level than mine. I like the look of the Blue one but just thought it might be too low. Everybody asks why it sits higher in the front. Thanks for the answer, Marlin. Thanks to Charlie and Kevin too. At least it shows we have been able to keep a little sense of humor out here.

Chevy454
09-18-2001, 02:40 PM
"Form follows function" http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif

I don't know if Chevrolet intended for it to happen like that, but the rear sitting a little lower than the front helps with weight distribution, and with wheel hop, which we all know leads to lower ETs. You have to remember WHAT the original intent of these cars was http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/wink.gif!

09-18-2001, 10:22 PM
JIM, I THOUGHT THE SAME THING WITH YOUR BLUE CAR, UNTIL I HAD IT SIDE BY SIDE WITH MY ORANGE ONE. YOU COULD NOT VISUALLY TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN HEIGHT. EITHER THEY ARE BOTH WRONG, OR RIGHT!

fpcopo
09-19-2001, 01:40 AM
Brian,

I don't know if you've seen any of my springs but Ron Normann has been selling them for about a year now and has really good luck with them. We copied an original set of 4 leaves and also have done the 5 leaves. They are EXACT duplicates. Even to the rounded cuts on the spring clamps. The only thing different is we had to use 55-57 Chevy spring insulators and they are 1/4" narrower on each side. Frank Payne

bkhpah
09-19-2001, 02:18 AM
Frank,
I am not sure if I have seen your sets, but I did have a 69 Z/28 in for some general upgrades that had a new set of repo springs that were very accurate except for one thing. The bands that hold them together were not staggered. In otherwords, the two bands that hold the whole thing together were both on the same ply. On originals the bands are on two seperate plies. From a cosmetic standpoint there were nice. This is a bit picky, but that is the major difference that I saw. Are your new springs set up correctly? I think he bought his from Camaro Specialties. I respect your opinion on this...BKH

bkhpah
09-19-2001, 05:56 AM
Marlins point is right on. The cars are a bit nose high. The Yenko Camaros are the same. I have seen all types of ride hights, but your Deuce looks right to me..BKH

Steve Shauger
09-19-2001, 12:43 PM
I purchased a set of these springs from Ron Normann and they look exactly as the originals. The car sits within 1/4 inch (higher) of what is specified in the assembly manual.I plan on purchasing another set.

JoeC
09-19-2001, 01:07 PM
Off topic but about ride height.. I always wondered why the 69 Z/28s have rear bumper guards. Jerry M told me that the 69 Z/28 sits .5 inch low so the engineers required all 69 Z/28s to have rear bumper guards because of safety and bumper height concerns.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-19-2001, 01:30 PM
Frank;
Can you post a picture, or email one to me? The National Nostalgic Nova club did have a supplier for correct looking 5 leaf rear springs, but the last time they ordered a set they came in different. NNN said they came from Chicago, but I don't know who, I don't think it was McHenry. If you have the right kind, let us know. There are a lot of Deuces with the incorrect/worn out springs.
M

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-20-2001, 06:33 PM
I know it looks like the 'grandma' car, but this is way it came!! The weight transfer is 'built in' so to speak, and the rear sway bar helps out, but there is no traction with this car. There seems to be very little travel in the front springs, so there is not much additional weight transfer with the suspension on these Novas.
M

http://www.boomspeed.com/yenko/Marlin1.jpg

[Edited by YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (09-20-2001 at 01:33 PM).]

fpcopo
09-20-2001, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the tip Brian, I'll check the print and make sure our spring clips are staggered. We have one set of 5 leaves here for a car we are doing, if a digital pic will be OK I'll try to get one and post it. Frank

tom406
09-23-2001, 05:03 AM
Dear Jim, Rite Way Spring in Tacoma, WA can re-arch your springs to within an 1/8" of the height you desire, at least they have been for Gary McKay's Fords. While I certainly can appreciate the "correctness" of the Deuce stance, nobody has said that it looks good. I personally would drop the front a little to get the "nice" look, so it doesn't get that groovy "West Coast air shock" look Charlie advocates. Your blue Deuce, if memory serves, is fitted with oversize Polyglas GT's, size G70-14. If you buy a pair of E70-14's for the front, you might get the stance you want without violating the authenticity of the springs.