PDA

View Full Version : laquor vs. urathane paint

luckyrico12
11-19-2001, 07:30 PM
My dad has a '68 camaro. It has laquor on it now and it is in good condition no cracks or anything. There was an accident with some r/c fuel and the car and it needs a new paint job. Money not being an issue, what is the best thing to do: put urathane over the laquor or strip the laquor first? What is best for the car?

x44d80
11-20-2001, 12:55 AM
this question is difficult because paint systems are very elaborate today and expensive. if you ask 10 body shops you'll get 10 different answers. lookup www.camaro.net, (http://www.camaro.net,) they have a body and paint forum. charley's thraser camaro was done with a red ppg 2 part enamel system that burns your eyes, looks fantastic, and the guy who built it says you can repair rock chips easily. correct me if i'm wrong charley. the best thing is to strip first. this gives you a better clue to body work needed, prevents lifting of the new paint.

luckyrico12
11-20-2001, 02:27 AM
That is exactly what is going on now. My dad has gone to about 7 guys and they have all said different things. Some have only said to paint the damaged areas, some just paint the whole car and some strip and then paint. He wants to do the whole car but doesn't know to strip it or not.

JoeC
11-20-2001, 12:51 PM
Sometimes it is best to consult the manufacturer of the paint products that you will use. They should have some type of tech support phone number or email.

Chevy454
11-20-2001, 01:47 PM
JoeC's idea is a good one, but often times you are in the same boat as when you started. We learned this the hard way on our Camaro, as dad talked to several paint companies, and even had a PPG rep take a look at the car. We followed their recommendations to a T, but the paint still went to crap in short order. After 5+ years of complaining, they finally decided to reimburse our supplies...gee, thanks http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/crazy.gif.

Stefano
11-22-2001, 03:56 PM
How an original paint car is to be stripped is just as important. The bare metal on some older cars was coated prior to any primer application.

Soda blasting has worked best for me. It will not do a very good job on rust but it leave the metal closest to factory condition.