PDA

View Full Version : Yenko Chevelle stripe colors

sixtiesmuscle
11-29-2001, 07:33 PM
Is anyone aware of any red Chevelles that received black stripes, or, if they were even available on red cars?

JoeC
12-03-2001, 01:12 PM
I have not seen one but there may have been a Garnet Red Yenko Chevelle with black stripes. It appears that almost any combination of stripe color was used. There have been Yenkos found with combinations of dark color with black stripe and light color with white stripe. Examples are Fathom Green with black stripes and Daytona Yellow with white stripes.

bkhpah
12-03-2001, 04:08 PM
Look for the stripe evidence behind fenders and doors or at the rear of the hood. Yenko often wrapped the stipes around these areas. Black would look strong on Garnet Red. All the red Chevelles I have seen have not been the right color of red and have had white stripes...BKH

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-03-2001, 06:20 PM
Stefano;
Ever heard of Rodgers Chev. in Rantoul, IL? Do you remember any Yenko cars from there?
M

bkhpah
12-03-2001, 06:47 PM
I rarely see a true Garnet Red color on Camaros, or Chevelles. It is a deeper red than most cars are painted. I do not know how much research goes into the red cars of 69. Maybe most folks just think red is red. As for stripe remains, every 69 Yenko I have ever worked on had stripes left over in the areas I described. Did Mike have any clues as to the color. I think black would be very nice, but white is good too...BKH

Stefano
12-04-2001, 12:32 AM
No, Rodgers Chevy in Illinois doesn't ring a bell. I know of a more recent Rodgers Chevrolet in Michigan ,as in Pam Rodgers the dealer principal.

Is Rantoul just South of the Wisconsin border between Lake Forest and Libertyville?

sixtiesmuscle
12-04-2001, 05:06 AM
Thanks guys, I agree. Brian, why does there seem to be such a problem getting Garnet Red correct??

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-04-2001, 05:12 AM
Mike;
I don't know what the difficulty seems to be with Garnet Red, but most of them appear to be too 'red' instead of maroon. I think Holub's '69 G-Red Yenko Nova is the correct shade, (not the tailight panel though), not sure on the two ZL1's.
M

Stefano
12-04-2001, 05:55 AM
I also found Yenko stripe remnants on my Douglass Yenko Copo inside the doors, on the forward part, toward the front fender.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-04-2001, 12:44 PM
Rodgers Chev in Rantoul, IL (just north of Champaign, IL), sold at least one Yenko Deuce. Cranberry Red, 4speed, not found to date.

sixtiesmuscle
12-04-2001, 01:28 PM
My car had white stripes that had been painted over in typical '70s rainbow/psychedelic fashion. Creative huh? I think that the white stripes on the darker colors really tend to fool the eye and make the color look lighter. Combine that with possibly being a shade off, and, it can really appear light. Micky Hale is doing the car, and, he did one of the red ZL1s so, I'm confident it will be done right.

I think Rantoul is in central IL.

[Edited by sixtiesmuscle (12-04-2001 at 08:28 AM).]

Belair62
12-04-2001, 09:46 PM
Sheesh not another RED Yenko Chevelle.Those things are like weeds.