PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Chevelle trunk paint

ssl78
01-17-2002, 03:49 AM
I am in the process of redoing the trunk in my Chevelle and was wondering the proper way. Does the splatter paint go all the way up the inside of the quarter panels and does the tail light panel and rear seat brace also get sprayed. Thanks also any pictures would be appreciated.

SS427
01-17-2002, 11:55 AM
Most originals I have seen were sprayed half way up the seat divider. A combination of black and a light pruplish primer showed thru behind the spatter.

The sides appear to have been sprayed with one pass of the gun and encompassed a rectangle of sorts about 14" wide in the fender area but not covering the whole panel. There was very little paint including primer on the inside top of the fender and the bottom side of the package shelf. More often then not, I see these areas in bare steel (with surface rust of course). This also include the area behind the tail light housing.

The inner wells were sprayed all the up to about the half way mark on the hinge brace. Again, the black and purple showed thru. This is the same color purple you can find on unpainted areas of the firewall that the black missed.

The rear panel area are usually totally covered including parts of the trunk latch and depending on year, I see them with overspray on tail lights and sidemarker lights leading me to believe this is one of the last steps before completion. The floor plugs are also in place when sprayed.

This is all subjective to my research and others may have different opinions.