PDA

View Full Version : BALDWIN-MOTION

IRONCLAD
01-26-2002, 02:34 AM
ATTN: AUTHOR PXTX - THERE IS A HOLLEY 3BBL ON EBAY MOTORS RIGHT NOW IF YOU HURRY. THEY STARTED THE BID AT $175.00; DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS UP TO NOW. I GOT LUCKY TWO WEEKS AGO AND PAID $150.00 FOR MINE.
ATTN: AUTHOR MAD MIKE - I SPOKE TO BILL EATON THAT FEQUENTLY SPEAKS ON THE KEVIN SUYDUM COLLECTION FORUM AND WAS TOLD THAT HEADMAN MADE CUSTOM HEADERS SPECIALLY FOR MOTION TO FIT THE CORVETTE SIDE PIPES. I SAW AN ARTICLE IN A MUSCLECAR MAGAZINE AND THEY HAD A MOTION NOVA CAR; THE VETTE PIPES ON THEM WERE WELDED RIGHT INTO THE HEADERS ON A 90 DEGREE ANGLE. FIGURE THAT OUT!

I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS MYSELF:

DID BALDWIN-MOTION EVER MAKE A 1969 LEMANS BLUE PHASE III CAMARO? WHAT COLOR WAS THE MALLORY DISTRIBUTOR ON THOSE CARS? DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO ON THE MALLORY CAPACITIVE DISCHARGE SYSTEMS I.E. DOES IT REQUIRE A SPECIAL DISTRIBUTOR AND WHAT SHAPE WAS THE 12 VOLT COIL? THEY SAY THAT THE REAR DECK SPOILER ON THE PHASE III CAMARO WAS FROM AN OLDS BUT THE OLDS SPOILERS ONLY HAD TWO SUPPORTS AND WAS POINT UP, NOT DOWN LIKE THE PHASE III.
ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
THANKS, GARY HENRIKSEN

whitetop
01-26-2002, 04:27 PM
Gary
The Mallory distributor cap that is correct for the era is the two piece #4001 (for 8 cylinder) and is black in color. The correct Voltmaster Mark II coil is#28675 for 12 volt.
"vintagespeedshop" on ebay has these correct parts NOS. Get them while he still has them. He will sell them to you without going through ebay. Tell him Dave Miller sent you. The Mallory coil is still available new from Summit or Jegs but the decals on the case have been "modernized" and there is minor differences on the coil details/screw heads etc.

The cheaper(economy model) dual point Mallory distributor is # 134-482 (known as the yl type) and can be used with the CD systems. The yl type used different points/caps/rotor than the Double lifes listed below.

Mallory Double Life distributor is the good dual point unit Motion used # 134-310HP. These distributors came with or without Tach drive Tach drive # is 134-465HP. Double Lifes are compatible with CD ignitions. Don't buy the "SP" units-single point.

The Mallory Dual point available today new are vastly different from the earliest models. Housings/cap colors are different.
I have the catalog pages if you want me to email them to you.

The Mallory CD ingnition box for 12 volt negative ground and dual points is # 3593. I believe Grant Industries made the original CD ignition box for Motion. Motion just slapped their PhaseII decal on the face. Grant advertised in Cars magazine alot and the shape of the box is identical to the Motion box. Grant is no longer in business. The Jacobs box available today may be the same or close. Jacobs has only been in business since the mid to late '70's.

Motion also used the "Kustom" header brand out of Michigan often. The company is no longer in business. They made good quality 4 into one side pipes and race headers.
Dave

[Edited by whitetop (01-26-2002 at 11:27 AM).]

Charley Lillard
01-26-2002, 07:42 PM
I have a new set of "kustom" Headers for a first Gen Camaro with big block and sidepipes.

JoeC
01-26-2002, 10:42 PM
There is/was a Dusk Blue Motion 69 Camaro from CT with white hockey stick stripes and a Stinger hood. The Motion rear wing is a Motion design with 3 upright supports not from an Olds as some magazines have stated. The Motion cars were mostly built to customer orders so each one may be different then the next. Motion used many hi performance aftermarket parts that were popular at the time.