PDA

View Full Version : Shipping engines (How too)

big guns
01-28-2002, 04:41 AM
Hi guys is there anybody that can tell me the best method of shipping an engine block and crankshaft.Does this need to be done by truck freight or will ups do this...do i need to drop it off or will the pick it up.Any help will be much appreciated thanks...

Chevy454
01-28-2002, 01:08 PM
UPS has a weight limit I think, but we did have an aluminum big block and a crank shipped (seperate) using them. Not sure if they could handle an iron big block, though.

[Edited by Chevy454 (01-28-2002 at 08:08 AM).]

YenkoYS100
01-28-2002, 07:07 PM
UPS does 150lbs. max. I don't remember the weight of a BBC bare Iron block, and am not up to lifting mine onto a scale right now. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/laugh.gif

I'd say that most likely would have to ship via truck freight. If it were me, I'd band the block to a pallet, after shrink wrapping it well. Probably the safest place to ship the crank, would be installed into the block with a set of bearings.(as long as the crank is for the same block.)

Just my old and semi-senile opinions. LOL
----------
Rick

[Edited by YenkoYS100 (01-28-2002 at 02:07 PM).]

JoeC
01-28-2002, 11:17 PM
You can also try a company called Forward Air. They only ship airport to airport and the item has to be in a crate. I shipped a 570 lb crate from CT to FL for $150.00

IRONCLAD
01-29-2002, 12:20 AM
WHAT TIMING? I JUST RECEIVED MY L-72 SHORT BLOCK AND CRANK FROM CRANE CORVETTES IN CALIFORNIA.
IT WAS SENT ON A LITTLE 3X3FT PALLET TIED DOWN BY METAL STRAPS. IT ARRIVED IN PERFECT CONDITION. IT WAS SHIPPED BY CONSOLIDATED FREIGHTWAYS WHO APPARENTLY TOOK CARE OF IT CONSIDERING IT WAS NOT COVERED.
THEY WERE A PLEASURE TO DO BUSINESS WITH AS WELL. WORST THING WAS THE COST...$458 FROM CALIFORNIA TO ATLANTA. I AM STILL IN SHOCK BUT THE ENGINE WAS WORTH IT.

GARY

bkhpah
01-29-2002, 07:00 PM
Shipped engines with ABF freight. No problems. Just remember to drain all fluids on long blocks. They will not accept it if it is not drained. It is easier to take the motors to the terminal. Drivers have no way to lift an engine...BKH

big guns
01-30-2002, 01:33 AM
Thanks everybody for the great advice and info.. i will have to talk to the future owner..And see which way he wants to go.....Les