PDA

View Full Version : Routine Maintenance

NWYENKO
02-07-2002, 11:39 PM
How often should the oil be changed on cars that are driven very infrequently? They are in the garage which never gets below 53 degrees and in very dry. I try to start and warm up or drive them every 6 or 8 weeks in the winter when we happen to get dry streets.What about trans and differential lube? How often should it be changed , miles vs. time? What about coolant? Cars are driven May thru Sept occasionally. I have been changing the oil twice yearly (1 car only gets 100 or 200 miles on it). The other 2 about 1000+. Thanks, Jim

L89DRMR
02-08-2002, 02:59 AM
Dear Jim,I feel as though you are on the right track as far as changing the engine oil twice a year but if you are unable to put more miles on them,then three and maybe four times a year would be ideal. The key is to get the oil up to peak temperature and if this does not occur,then moisture along with raw gasoline will seriously affect the oil's ability to perform properly. As far as the transmission and differential,once a year would probably banish any moisture which might cause some steel to rust. It seems like cheap insurance to spend a little bit to give you peace of mind. I did go to auto mechanic's school in case you feel I was just making all this up! Hopefully,this will help you decide. Dave

micky69396
02-08-2002, 03:15 AM
Change rear and trans to synthetic gear lube and dont worry about it. I would make sure the car is up to temp for sure or you are doing more harm then good running them a little. I would suggest once a year on the oil change, even then its probably still good. I have a employee who works for a oil testing facility as his real job, and there are a lot of heavy testing they do. Believe me sitting in muscle cars is not a problem.

Kurt S
02-08-2002, 04:28 AM
I agree with Micky.
Not getting up to temp is much worse than not running it at all. It doesn't hurt the oil to just sit. It's the gas you have to worry about when a car sits.
As far as the trans and rear, I know of cars with 20+ years on them and original fluids. New stuff will last for years there and synthetics is better in the rear esp.