PDA

View Full Version : Special wheel ? Anyone seen these ?

hugger1
02-23-2002, 02:28 AM
I have a set of wheels that have the TORQUE THRUST D look but the are actually made by MICKEY THOMPSON ( its on the wheel and the center cap.)

Anyone ever seen these befor ?

the wheels have OLD Atlas Bias Ply tires on them.

They are 15 in wheels and the front half is aluminum and the backs are STEEL ....

Any info on these would be appriciated.

THANKS GUYS

Rat_Pack
02-23-2002, 02:31 AM
Hugger1, these wheels should be a two piece steel and aluminum wheel. Email me some pictures and I will be glad to help you out...............RatPack.....................

[Edited by Rat_Pack (02-22-2002 at 09:31 PM).]

Rat_Pack
02-23-2002, 02:18 PM
JC, those are the Mickey Thompson wheels. They are similar to the American Torque Thrusts (not the D's) as they have the same straight spoke design. They will not fit on GM cars with the four piston caliper disc brakes but they should fit the 69 and up cars except Corvette. Also they use the same oddball lugnut that American originally used and they are almost impossible to come by these days. See my post on "Yenko Chevelle wheels" under this same area for more info on the lug nuts.

All of my replies have come back stating your mailbox is full so this is why I posted the info here. Thanks,..................RatPack.................

[Edited by Rat_Pack (02-23-2002 at 09:18 AM).]

hugger1
02-23-2002, 11:40 PM
here's a photo of the wheels

http://http://pic4.picturetrail.com:80/VOL50/462975/572440/7296022.jpg

Thanks Rat Pack.

What the reason they will not fit on 4 piston calipers if they're 15 inch wheels ?

Just courious.

tom406
02-24-2002, 06:14 AM
The shape of the spokes and/or the inside shape of the rim. You'll see that D-spokes and most wheels cast after '70 or so are cast or machined with clearance for the larger, bulky calipers that replaced drums and the early small calipers. You'll see similar clearances built into steel wheels if you compare early drum-only rims to later disc brake wheels.

Rat_Pack
02-24-2002, 03:56 PM
JC, just what Tom said. It does not have to do with the diameter of the wheel but the design of the spokes and center "spider" ( lug nut section of the wheel). When the GM disc brakes came out in 1967 on the A, B, and F body cars they used a similar design of the Corvette large four piston caliper. Aftermarket wheels of that time were not made to clear those calipers so companies had to make a new mold just for those applications. American made their Torque Thrust D and other companies did nothing or told you to use spacers. I will send you some pictures of the differences in the center sections of some American's. Also be sure to read the post on Yenko Chevelle wheels under this same section as it may answer some of your questions..........RatPack.................

hugger1
02-24-2002, 09:43 PM
Got your e-mail Troy, thanks ...

i was comparing wheels and now notice the differnce .
I never really paid attention to it befor.

Thanks Tom406 ..
learning all kinds of usefull info on this forum.