PDA

View Full Version : Broken rotor stud

shor
02-24-2002, 11:23 PM
Hi all. I had one broken stud and I managed to break another stud this weekend from the front disc rotor. It is the two peice design(1969) and the new GM replacement appears to be a one peice design. The rotor,other than surface rust and two broken studs, appears to be in great condition. It doesn't appear to have ever been cut and is really a low mileage rotor. Can these things be repaired? old studs removed and new ones pressed in?
Would it then have to be balanced? Any recomendations??Thanks

ssl78
02-25-2002, 12:55 AM
The studs can easily be replaced, all you have to do is remove the brake caliper and the nut for the spindle bearing and slide off the rotor. The next step you would turn the rotor so you are looking at the back side and remove the inside bolts which hold the rotor to the hub( it is best to mark the rotor and hub with a mark so you can line the marks back up when putting back together), now just seperate the two pieces you might have to hit it with a rubber mallet or a piece of wood to break it loose. now just hit the stud with a hammer and it will pop out it shouldnt take much to get it out, if its broken flush use a punch to hit it out.to put the stud back in just tap it back in until it is bottomed out the job shouldnt take more than hour. When rebolting the hub and rotor back together it is a good idea to use a little blue lock tight on the threds of the bolts.

shor
02-25-2002, 03:37 AM
Thanks ssl78, I got the assembly off and the 5/8 th bolts that hold the hub on are soaking with wd40 tonight. I will perform part two tommorrow after work and let you know.....Can I order the studs from GM?

Denis
02-25-2002, 05:04 AM
I ordered a bunch direct from GM for my 67 car, PN 9590271.

shor
02-25-2002, 10:36 PM
Thanks ssl78. It worked out exactly like you said. I ordered the studs from my local chevy dealer and they should be in tommorow. Thanks Dennis...now would be a good time to change the bearinss to? right? And should I use the new type bearing grease from slick 50?

Denis
02-26-2002, 03:13 AM
Only one 'n' in Denis. And wasn't that a great hockey game yesterday?!?!

Stefano
02-28-2002, 12:30 AM
Shor,
Did you get your parts and COPO back together?

shor
02-28-2002, 01:45 PM
Yes, Stefano.I am mounting my Goodyear wide tread e70 15's tonight on my rims on the way home from work today. After the kids go to sleep I will put them back on the car and lower it off the jack stands.Just in time as the sheetrockers are coming monday for the ceiling.(did you get a ups package today?)

Stefano
02-28-2002, 08:56 PM
No UPS yet today, what am I expecting?

Stefano
03-01-2002, 04:29 AM
Shor,
UPS arrived, no markings or notes but I am confident that it's from you. How did you know that the new car will be Blue.

[Edited by Stefano (02-28-2002 at 11:28 PM).]

[Edited by Stefano (02-28-2002 at 11:29 PM).]