PDA

View Full Version : '69 Yenko Chevelle - Rear Sway Bars

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-17-2000, 08:37 PM
Does anyone know of any '69 Yenko Chevelles that came with a rear sway bar? There are two pieces of orig. documentation that refer to 'Special Rear Sway Bars', and show a price of $125 on one and $150 on the other. Any first hand knowledge?
Thanks,
Marlin

Chevy454
05-18-2000, 04:49 AM
I would have to guess that it would be ULTRA-RARE to find a Yenko Chevelle with a rear sway bar, since there were so few total Chevelles sold that had them. We had this same discussion on "Team Chevelle", and I think someone found some literature that said that only 70+(?) '69 Chevelles came with the F-41 suspension (which had the rear sway bar). That would make the odds "slim to none" of a Yenko Chevelle having this option, but anything is possible. I am still looking for the post where the above was stated, but I remember something like that.

Joe58: I think you might remember the post?

------------------
LS-6 Chevelle
(450hp, M-22, 4.10 posi,
AM/FM 8-track, red w/black stripes)

Peter
05-18-2000, 12:36 PM
This may be the post you are looking for?
http://www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/004554.html

Chevy454
05-18-2000, 03:34 PM
Peter:

Thanks for finding the post! Here is a "hot" link to it: http://www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/004554.html

According to "Len" (in the Team Chevelle post), only 722 '69 Chevelles came with the F-41 suspension, which makes any car with that very rare. If it WERE ever on a Yenko Chevelle, it would probably be a "1 of 1" kind of deal.

------------------
LS-6 Chevelle
(450hp, M-22, 4.10 posi,
AM/FM 8-track, red w/black stripes)

JoeC
05-19-2000, 06:30 AM
I do not think any Yenko Chevelles came with the rear sway bar from the factory. The RPO F41 (with rear sway bar) is listed as an option for the 1969 Chevelle but very few cars have been documented with F41. I know of one early SS car with it. In the 1969 Chevelle Assembly Manual they show the rear sway bar bolted to a unboxed control arm. Maybe they had problems with this design and discontinued it untill the later boxed control arms were released. As far as the two Yenko Chevelle documents with rear sway bar listed, maybe Yenko added them as per a customer request. Marlin ,Do you have the build sheets for the two cars you mention?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-19-2000, 02:16 PM
Joe:

Unfortunately, I do not have the build sheet for the car showing the rear sway bar, I only have a copy of the original Yenko window sticker and the related Yenko Sportscars car invoice to Bob Johnson Chev, Wausau, WI. So it is possible that it is a mistype, or dealer added. Both documents reference the 'Special Rear Sway Bars', and they have different prices on each document. The price refers to a list of options; Super Sport Hood, Grill, Rear Panel, and Special Rear Sway Bars. The prices are $150 on the window sticker and $125 on the car invoice, this could represent Bob Johnson's markup.

Could the Special bars be a reference to Boxed control arms? Do any of the Yenko Chevelles have them?

The VIN on these documents is 386005, car is Fathom Green, 4 speed, AM radio, Manual rear antenna, vinyl roof, and of course the above mentioned option group. I do not know if this car has survived, but if it is currently owned by someone maybe they can look for any evidence of prior installation.

Thanks for all of the info so far,
Marlin

sYc
05-19-2000, 09:36 PM
I did not realize that the F-41 suspension package was that rare. I have a documented (build sheet) 1969 Chevelle, L-78, auto, 4:10, buckets, etc. with less then 40,000 actual miles and it has the F-41 package w/ rear sway bar. Tom

JoeC
05-20-2000, 01:19 PM
Tom, If you get a chance can you measure the diameters of the front and rear sway bars on the L78 1969 Chevelle? The book lists the F41 as having 1.125 in. dia. front and a .875 in. dia. rear bar. The F40 and standard is listed as a .937 in. dia. front bar. Do you have the build sheet on that L78 Chevelle?

sYc
05-21-2000, 01:11 AM
Our Chevelle has the larger sway bars and we do have the build sheet for the car that lists the F-41 option. Tom