PDA

View Full Version : '69Yenko Camaro Options

NWYENKO
07-19-2000, 02:41 PM
Were there any Rally Sport option cars available? What about consoles? The only info I have shows ps.,am/fm, vinyl top, torque thrust wheels. What else was available. I think there were Rally Sport COPOs built but were any of them Yenkos? I think Brian's idea of a chat time is great!! I am trying to get more comfortable using this computer. This forum is great, I check it daily and am learning so much!!

bkhpah
07-19-2000, 09:32 PM
The option list on the 69 Yenko Camaro was very limited. The only documented options from Yenko that we have determined are as follows: Vinyl top in black only/ Power steering/ Endura front bumper/ and turbo 400/ with the Atlas wheels listed as available on the dealer ad sheets. That is it.. All cars were equipped with an AM radio and D80 spoilers along with power disc brakes and ZL/2 hood standard. I have seen a few cars with consoles, but after further investigation they had always been added down the road. Most all of the early cars {before June} have the Stewart Warner pedistal mount tach and some had optional SW gauges that were added to some cars at extra cost. After June the tach was factory installed and the car received the rare center fuel gauge. All cars had the Yenko Sports Car conversion or COPO 9737 option. E-70-15 WTGT tires/15X7 rally wheels/ 140 speedo/ and 13/16 front sway bar/ though there is at least one car that had the 120 speedo. Only 6 colors were offered and all had 711 black standard interior. Cars came in 3 trim levels. Early cars @January are X66 or X11 being the rarest. After March all cars seem to be X44. I have original pictures of Yenko Camaros with fender striping along with the Yenko stripes, part of the X11 package. As far as Yenko installed speed parts it is fairly safe to assume that the cars that were sold within the dealer network were very stock. But the Yenko's that were sold at Canonsburg could and would be modified beyond the standard package if and when a customer chose to do so. If anyone wants to add to the list and can prove that their car had factory options installed that are not mentioned above we would be eager to hear from you! Also if your car was modified by Yenko and you can document it, we want to hear about it...The 67 and 68 cars are a whole different subject.

Thanks
BKH

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-20-2000, 05:21 AM
Jim:
To my knowledge there were no RS Yenko Camaros in '69, only in prior years. There were some COPO RS Camaros in '69. Some received some neat options in addtion to the RS option, like traction control canister ect. I have not heard of any '69 Yenko Camaros that received a console. The automatic cars received the standard Hurst dual gate shifter box/console in '69 but not a GM console. The Hurst dual gate on '70 automatic Yenkos was an extra cost option, and they did not receive the box/console just a rubber boot and the pattern engraved on the knob.
Marlin

Keith Tedford
07-28-2000, 07:57 PM
COPO Chevelles could be ordered with any option that could be had on an L78 car. I imagine that the case would be the same with the Camaro. Yenko probably chose to keep the option list short to keep the end price reasonable. Most cars were probably bought to be raced and a lot of options just added weight. Our COPO Chevelle was pretty basic while others had bucket seats consoles and lots of other amenities.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-01-2000, 07:26 PM
Keith:
Yenko had some nicely optioned Chevelles that I am sure were pretty expensive. He ordered at least 4 COPO 9562/COPO 9737 Chevelles with an automatic, power steering, rear antenna, vinyl top, bucket seats, and special paint - Monaco Orange, a $33.75 extra charge. I don't know how much they sold for new, but they had more options than most Yenko Chevelles. I know of two of the four that exist today.
Marlin

Kurt S
08-01-2000, 10:17 PM
Nice summation on the Yenko options.

One correction, the fender striping, RPO D96, was available separately and was included in the RS package. It is not indicative of an X11 car.

So some of the Yenkos were style trim cars? I didn't realize that.

Since they were not console shift cars, that means they were originally column shift cars from the factory. So did Yenko swap out the steering column? What about the cluster, did it still have the shift indicator when it left the dealership?

Kurt

[Edited by Kurt S (08-01-2000 at 05:17 PM).]

micky69396
08-01-2000, 11:42 PM
I know the Yenko Chevelle we had, the column shifter taken off but the nub was still there, a dual gate box shifter was put in.

bkhpah
08-02-2000, 04:34 AM
They left the stub on the column and used the Hurst Duel Gate on most cars. Some have been left on the column and I have seen one Yenko Chevelle in person with it left in place. No effort was made to hide the fact. I have never seen an X11 COPO that did not have the fender striping and the Yenko run seem to have had it too. I'm not saying that its right they have just had it. The auto Deuces are the same way with two Hurst shifters as options..
BKH

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-02-2000, 02:20 PM
The '70 automatic Yenko Novas were originally column shift cars as well, and had two shifters to choose from. The standard shifter was the power stick or auto stick, if you paid $80.00 extra you received the dual gate. It appears Yenko used the standard Hurst boot/bezel regardless of the shifter, (possibly on some 4 speed cars as well, right on top of the factory boot!) no box/console for the dual gate optioned cars. The gear selection indicator was left in the dash, and operated correctly when the shifters were engaged. The dual gate shifters had the dual pattern engraved on the top of the knob. At least one car showed up at a dealership with the column shiter still in place, the power stick was in the trunk and was installed by the participating dealer, per first owner's request.
Not the first time a Yenko Nova left Yenko without it's 'standard' equipment installed!!
Marlin

bkhpah
08-02-2000, 06:44 PM
I recently sold a untouched original paint style trim 307 car. Will full documentation. The fender striping was part of the group not an extra cost option. I have see a few X11 COPO's with the fender striping and original pictures of a car with Yenko stripes and fender striping on the same car. I cannot imagine that the stripes are not part of that package. Yenko would not order the stripes on purpose. I have seen two documented original X44 Yenko's that had the style trim headlight trim. These cars carried consecutive body #'s. I would have to think that it was a assembly line mistake. The factory made mistakes, but in 1969 you would never have even considered it wrong.
BKH

Kurt S
08-02-2000, 08:41 PM
Sorry, I stand corrected on the D96 stripe. I referenced a handy RPO list in front of me (I'm at work) and it obviously has an error.

I recall seeing that in the description of the Z21 style trim, but it never really stuck with me. It will now! http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif

BKH, was that the blue 307 you just sold?

bkhpah
08-02-2000, 10:48 PM
Yes it was the Lemans Blue coupe.

JoeC
08-03-2000, 05:51 AM
Kurt - Are you sure about no fender striping on the X11 cars? I just rechecked this on an original 69 camaro order form and it lists "accent striping" included with the RPO Z21 which is the Style Trim Group. The MacNeish book (pp197&198) states that X11 has the Style Trim Group and it includes "fender pin striping" except when SS or Z/28 is specified. The Hooper book (pp46) states D96= "Striping,Fender: Included with Rally Sport and Style Trim Group".