PDA

View Full Version : 69 z28 question

john ferguson
12-03-2000, 08:47 PM
hello everyone, and happy holidays !!

i am looking at purchasing a early van nuys built 69 z28. (oct. 68) this car has the small trim tag, with no "x" code. everything seems to be date coded correctly, however this car has a 7k tach, not 8k. also the vin is stamped on the deck behind alternator, not down by the oil filter. the vins all match under the cowl, and behind heater box. does this sound right to everyone?? thanks for any input.
john

Unreal
12-03-2000, 10:12 PM
The vin was not moved to the oil filter area until Jan 1969. Also, I believe the 8000 tach was a late production change...others were 7000. Short of protectoplate, or broadcast sheet, the only other "proof" is numbers matching drivelie. Go beyond the VINs, and check casting dates on all major parts...do they make sense compared to the build date of the motor? (usually within 2 weeks...note I said USUALLY, I once saw an unrestored block, with a casting date in October, and an engine build date of the following May!

Gary

Charley Lillard
12-03-2000, 11:23 PM
John...Contact the CRG about the #'s. I just got rid of a 30K mile, Oct 68 built 69 Z , Van Nuys car with the Vin. down by the filter. They seem to jump back and forth for awhile. They have a pretty good Data base to compare #'s.

Kurt S
12-06-2000, 10:48 PM
I agree with Charley. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif

Send me the #'s, spec VIN, trim tag, and engine (and any others you have). The LA VIN location bounced around some, depending on build date.

Kurt S - CRG
[email protected]

[Edited by Kurt S (12-06-2000 at 05:48 PM).]

john ferguson
12-08-2000, 08:20 PM
thanks for the help everyone...however i have decided to put my money elsewhere.

john