PDA

View Full Version : My Email address

Mr70
06-01-2002, 11:58 PM
My email address is [email protected].
Why when I click on my profile,it says Rap3@_removemefirst.com?
When I try to send myself an email through this,it comes back Mail delivery failure?
This is only a problem on this website.

Chevy454
06-02-2002, 02:46 AM
The reason that "remove_me_first" is in the email address shown on the board is to eliminate SPAM. Why is this neceassary? Well, the spammers use "bots" to go around and grab email addresses, and bulletin boards are a prime target. Anything with your email address listed on it is fair game, and they WILL use them, and sell them. Trust me, I am fighting this very battle as we speak. We receive over 100+ SPAM emails daily, due to a couple of our different email addresses being listed on the site. I am having to "tidy up" some things for this very reason.

If you will go to "my home" at the top of the page, then to "Personal Information", you will then be able to enter the email that is visible to other users and your real email address.

So, you can change your viewable email address or not, it's your choice...

Mr70
06-02-2002, 12:05 PM
Thanks Rob.
As usual you are thinking ahead. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Chevy454
06-02-2002, 02:40 PM
I wouldn't go THAT far! When I first upgraded, I thought the exact same thing. I was thinking I was gonna have to manually go in and change 500+ email addresses, so I went to the software's support forums and asked. When they gave me the answer, then it all made sense. It is somewhat inconvenient for the users, but if it cuts down on the SPAM, then I'm all for it.

BBIGG BLOCK 396
06-04-2002, 08:05 AM
Good job there Rob,spammers should be treated like TERRORIST
they are almost as bad /ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif