PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac Histroical Service

JoeC
06-20-2002, 12:31 PM
Jim, can you post a little history on the Pontiac Historical Records project. Where were they found? Were they on an old computer system or stored in files? Does Pontiac make a profit from the service?

Jim Mattison
06-21-2002, 12:28 PM
We formed Pontiac Historic Services (actually Automotive Services, Inc.) in 1989. Previously, Pontiac had tried to answer enthusiast questions internally, but with the many changing jobs and more importantly the cost of operation, this function was about to be abandoned.

It all started with a call from Pontiac Division. As a private collector and x-GM employee, we were asked to look at what was there and to see if there would be any way to make use of this material. We proposed the formation of PHS............ and the rest is an they say "history"!

Over the years we have found and added to Pontiac's Historical Archives much more material than what we started out with. The beginnings were basically a pile of old material and sales liturature on the floor. As time went on, many items have also been given to us by retired employees and collectors, too. We are contantly searching for material at swap meets and other sources. Today, we have most everything organized in files and cabinets.

Most of the cost for the information packages that we provide is consummed in the maintenance of our microfilm equipment, copier and office space. From the beginning it was our goal to keep the costs of the information packages that we provide as low as possible, so that most anyone could afford to get information on their car. Fortunately, I have other sources of income to maintain my lifestyle, send my kids to college and fund my car collection, otherwise that would not have been possible. Frankly, I am quite proud of what we have accomplished.

Behind the scenes, we work with all of the law enforcement agencies around the country. We assist with everything from stolen cars to vehicular homicide. We provide material to the media, for books and articles. We also try to help and give guidance to those buying and selling cars, too. It is very rewarding work!

Our efforts have been very well received by General Motors, who have become great supporters of my company! As a result, we have been retained for many other projects and programs within the company. Currently, we are even working on a project for Chevrolet!!! More to come.........!

Jim Mattison

Stefano
06-21-2002, 04:56 PM
Jim,
"a project for Chevrolet",? What could you possibly be working on that would be of interest to the membership /ubbthreads/images/icons/ooo.gif?