PDA

View Full Version : Nickey Corvettes at Road America?

ChrisS
06-24-2002, 01:37 AM
While I was at BloomingtonGold last weekend, I was told that the Corvettes Nickey Chevrolet sponsored for racing would be featured at Road America in Wisconsin next July during the Historics weekend. Has anyone else heard this?

TimG
07-01-2002, 01:34 PM
I will be at the event and will look for the Nickey cars.
I would think that they would also be at the Montrey Historic races in August. I purchased a car at Bloomington that was raced at Road America for over 30 years, got some great video of the car racing at the track in the 60's.

Mr70
07-01-2002, 05:17 PM
Wasn't the Bloomington Gold Corvette show held at Pheasant Run in St.Charles Il. last week?
It was all the rage on the radio.Or is this a different Corvette show?

Stefano
07-01-2002, 05:50 PM
Rick,
Bloomington Gold was held in Saint Charles for the first time. There was a rumor circulating, which sent shock waves throught the Corvette community. It was that COPO Guru, Mr. Ed Cuneen was spotted and purported as having a good time at the cornerstone Corvette venue.

Mr70
07-01-2002, 09:37 PM
So it was true...Ed was there!
Steve,I went to Lombard Saturday Night cruise last Saturday,and saw your white Camaro,but didn't see you.I walked around for an hour and Listened to Elvis sing.He hasn't changed a bit.
Whos Orange 69 COPO Camaro is that?
I should drive my Chevelle over there,if I ever get off work that early again.

Stefano
07-01-2002, 10:32 PM
Rick,
Too bad we missed each other. It was a good turn out, I thought. I had the wife,kids with me and even the In laws showed up. It is amazing what Elvis can still accomplish.

The gorgeous Hugger COPO clone belongs to a guy named Skip. This is the car that Dan Mamson from, Roselle built a while back. Skip has been showing the Camaro and has done quite a bit of detail work to make it look good and correct.

The car is a true column shift, bench seat car from California. I think it is one cool Camaro.

Yeah, get that Chevelle out will ya!

ChrisS
07-02-2002, 01:54 AM
Tim,I got the impression they were referring to the 2003 Road America event but, maybe I misunderstood. I'd like to find out as our Illinois chapter meet is the same weekend in Galena and I haven't figured out how to be in two places at the same time yet.
Is the car you purchased Jack Knab's old racer?

Rat_Pack
07-02-2002, 12:03 PM
Stefano, I saw that COPO at Superfest last year, the owners name was Mike M. and it was a nice clone. The one question that everyone was asking at Dominos was if the bench seat was original. The trim tag shows a std black bucket seat interior 711 with 65-65 Olympic Gold exterior. Still a nice car though.................RatPack................

Stefano
07-02-2002, 02:59 PM
Troy,
If it is the same car ,the trim tag was changed few times.
I never had the chance to see the original trim tag. When it was first cloned out it ran a Norwood X-11 tag, but was a Van Nuys built Camaro.

TimG
07-09-2002, 08:36 PM
ChrisS,
I purchased the 64' roadster (looks like a 65) that was raced by Dave Rex from 67 to 70 and Dave MacClymont from 70 to 80. It had many victories at Road America including B Production championship in 68 & 69 and 2nd in 1970 and 2nd in 1972. John Greenwood came in first in 1970 in the same race. Dave Rex has built a clone to this car and raced it since 1984. I have the grid sheets, trophies and documentation from over 20 races it was involved in through 72', lots of impressive wins. It is an old warrior that is race ready, hauled it to Waco last weekend for an autocross and it is like a junk yard dog, mean and nasty. Dave Rex told me that Howard Winnen (?) of Nickey helped with the preperation of this Corvette.

Rat_Pack
07-10-2002, 04:54 AM
Stefano, is this the car? It was all Van Nuys at Superfest last July, including the trim tag...................RatPack..............

Stefano
07-10-2002, 06:49 AM
Rat_Pack,
It certainly looks like it. Skip has been detailing it for the past couple of years and making the car as correct as possible.

I haven't seen Dan Mamson in a while, but I did ask around about the status of the Bench seat. Dan is a bigger than average Guy and wanted the Bench seat for comfort, so he specifically sought out a bench seat car, and that seems to be the consensus ,but no one remembers for certain, other than the fact that he went to Californa or Arizona to pick it up himself.

Dan has owned a few Super Cars to include the popular Hugger Yenko Camaro Poster Car. A 1969 Yenko Chevelle and a Fathom Green Douglass Yenko M40 Camaro.

Skip's Hugger Camaro is a regular at the Lombard and Elmhurst Cruises.