PDA

View Full Version : Drag Racing a Super Car

Stefano
07-18-2002, 05:50 PM
Copo Pete,
As you mentioned one of the keys to a low ET is having a feel for the traction. There is a big difference between 12.20s and 12.90s with the same "stock" car, although both are 12 sec times.

I would say that it takes a very well dialed in Camaro and a good degree of skill to Run a "Stock" Super Car with polyglass' into the low 12.0s. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

JoeC
07-18-2002, 07:03 PM
I have never seen an original reliable road test of a car running 12s without headers. I think the restored cars have more HP because of balanced and blueprinted engines and the repro tires have a little more grip with modern materials. It is still very impressive to see them run in the 12s with exhaust manifolds and narrow tires.

Chevy454
07-18-2002, 08:16 PM
Tire technology and track prep alone have come a long way. I mean, weren't they still using rosin for burnouts? I think the potential was there, as anyone who has ever ran an original drivetrain car can attest, but todays better racing surfaces are light years ahead of the tracks of old. VHT has helped a little.../ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

COPO PETE
07-19-2002, 10:44 AM
Rob is right. Tires and tracks are light years ahead of years ago testing. Also a good exhaust system will give you close to half a second. Also depends on who is driving. Is the early mag test done with some "Yahoo Editor" who really does'nt know how to drive and loves to burn the tires off????? Joe is also right on the no 12 second runs, but I don't believe they really ran the perfect combos, or as Tom Shaw once wrote," You had to play the option list like a violin to create a killer supercar." In the fastest "Top Ten" musclecars of all time, it's the L89 Camaro in 69 that beat out the ZL-1 and Yenko's. Why????? 4:88's!!!! and 14 inch tires!
I put on some 15" tires on my car last week and did back to back testing with 14" tires. Consisitantly lost 2 tenths with the 15's. Put 4:56 in over 4:10 on both my orange car and white car....2 tenths difference on both cars. So with a Yenko Camaro running 15's and 4:10's, I'm 4 tenths quicker all ready, and then you throw in exhaust. And that is just the start!
Peter /ubbthreads/images/icons/smirk.gif

JoeC
07-19-2002, 01:22 PM
Pete, interesting test result with the tire diameters. Did you compare the 60ft times? A taller tire has slightly larger contact area so I would think it would be better for traction. I wonder how a 15 in tire and 5:13 gear combo would work in the real world?

COPO PETE
07-19-2002, 03:49 PM
Joe...60' was actually a little better. MPH was a hair better. It just did not like it in between! I feel 15 inch tires should have 4:56 or 4:88 minimum, but that all depends if your making a worrior or not. Don Yenko had vision, but in hind site, it's too bad he did'nt order all his 4 speed cars with M20's.
Peter