PDA

View Full Version : Charles Gilchrist's Yenko Prints

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-23-2002, 05:18 PM
I know many of us fondly remember Doug Olsen, and his passion for SuperCars - especially the '69 COPO Camaros. Well, before his untimely passing, Doug was able to visit with renowned photographer Charles Gilchrist in Cleveland, OH and go through his collection of drag racing slides. Doug was able to find several slides of Yenko, Harrell, Grumpy, and Big John cars.

Due to a mixup on my part I never got hooked up with Doug after he had purchased two Yenko Deuce prints on my behalf. So, I have been after Gilchrist for over two years to produce the Yenko Deuce prints for me, and I would buy whatever batch qty was required. It has been some time since my last correspondence with Gilchrist, but surprisingly, I found one of the Deuce prints was available on his website this past weekend!!! Of course, I will be purchasing a few.

I know he has more SuperCar prints in his collection. Might I suggest that we ask him to add a category to his site just for the SuperCars, if we as a club have an interest in purchasing them? I have seen them firsthand, and the quality is excellent, and there is a discount for multiple print purchases (I'm working on clearing up the math issue that MikeA discovered).

I realize that it is hard to get enthusiastic regarding some prints that most have never seen, but they are really cool action shots. Just check out his website to see the various nostalgic prints, and maybe we can get him to redo all the SuperCar prints that he has. (?)

http://www.charlesgilchrist.com/GPC/drag_racing.html
/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

68l30
07-23-2002, 08:23 PM
Good luck with the photos! From what I remember with my discussions with Doug,Charles didn't know a supercar from a hole in the ground.He new the big names and sponsers but very little on the others.It was Doug's digging and knowledge of these prints that made him take notice on what he had(supercar wise).The first batch of prints were at a reasonable price(he didn't know or care what they were)with the second batch at a very inflated price. Last I heard he had so many photos he had no idea where they were or what they were as far as the supercars go.I hope the pictures see the light of day,but you may be better off going their and finding the slides yourself.......

Steve

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-23-2002, 09:37 PM
Steve;
I recall Doug's difficulties with Gilchrist, but was hoping that enough inquiries from club members would provide the economics required for Gilchrist to supply the prints. All he would have to do is pull Doug's order from a few years ago to see which ones he printed at that time, and then make them available on the site. I know he has somebody doing the website for him, and pulling the right slides shouldn't be too much trouble.
Just hoping!!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-23-2002, 09:40 PM
I would like to find this car!!!
Any help would be enormously appreciated, I'm starting with Thompson Dragway which is still in business. Any ideas?

http://www.charlesgilchrist.com/GPC/DR/Street/YD7001.jpg

68l30
07-23-2002, 10:42 PM
Marlin,I think the problem is/was that he didn't save the pictures or order that he purchased.Doug spent many hours pulling up negetives and slides on his own.I do know he wanted Doug to find the photos at a later date,and he declined.It's nice to see someone pursue this again.There is a ton of supercar history in these photos as well as some great art.I'll try to track down another local fellow whom I've bought pictures from in the past.He has most of the larger name S/S racers from the time and area......

Steve

Mr70
07-24-2002, 12:59 AM
Marlin
I love these kind of pictures and am enjoying looking at that website.
I am looking for Bob Hamiltons 1970 Chevelle "RED Alert".
If anyone sees prints of this,please let me know.
Thanks.
Rick

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-24-2002, 12:07 PM
I received a quick reply from Charles Gilchrist regarding the SuperCar prints:

Hello Marlin,
Thanks for your continued interest. Keeping up with this site is kind of overwhelming; so many details and no help: sorry for the delay. I necessarily must focus on the prints which have the broadest appeal, but I am also interested in images like the Yenko Deuce; images with more
obscure, but interesting histories.

Regarding your question about volume discounts: All pertinent info about our Silver Prints and their prices can be found at the URL below. You may have to reload this page as it was recently updated with new discount prices.

http://www.CharlesGilchrist.com/GPC/silver_prints.html

I have no plans to include the other Yenko image on the site as It's getting outrageously large; the drag racing pages alone hold over 200 images. But I will special order the other Yenko Deuce image you are interested in, which was captured on the same day. One special order RC
Silver Print is $29.95 plus $5.00 I.S.H. Additional prints from the same negative, ordered at the same time, are $10.00 each with no additional I.S.H. charge. I will make you as many as you like.

Regarding your friends: Combining your orders into one will give your group the best price possible.

Thanks for your patronage and thanks for coning back again. As long as we are supported, the site will continue to grow. Look for new stuff coming soon.
Charles Gilchrist

I guess that's a 'no' on the other supercar prints, but he leaves the door open regarding 'special orders' /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

Stefano
07-24-2002, 02:47 PM
Thanks Marlin,
I checked it out and a lot of Cool Pics. I also e-mailed him as My Silver and White COPO Camaros were raced at some of the tracks he mentions and I would like to have some action Photos.

Thanks for the info /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-24-2002, 03:27 PM
Steve;
What's the best way for me to find this car?? Do you know any of the local racers that would have run against it back in the day?

Stefano
07-24-2002, 03:48 PM
Marlin,

I can't help there, but I just made a post seeking old racing info on the site Chevy454 refered us to regarding Pure Stock Drags.

There has "gots to be" some guys from the "olden" days like 1969 to 1972 who were racing against the COPOs and Deuces back then, Don't ya think?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-24-2002, 04:02 PM
Stefano;
That's a good idea, I will post there as well.
I would really, really like to find that car!! To our knowledge there were only two Yenko Deuces that were raced under the banner of a Chev. dealership - and Yenko was NOT one of them. This car was raced out of Central Chev. in Cleveland, OH and we believe it to be Cortez Silver a/t without p/s. The other car was raced out of Colonial Chev. in Norfolk, VA and we know that car was also a Cortez Silver one but with a four speed without p/s. The Colonial car has not been found, and might represent an even harder task to locate - much less restore back to race condition.

So, I'm after this one!! I guess one of the first steps is to determine who the driver was and try to locate him. I wish I lived closer to Cleveland /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

68l30
07-24-2002, 04:26 PM
Marlin,I've been trying to dig up info on this car as well.Most of my supercar leads have turned up negetive lately......Anyone else going to Norwalk(Super Chevy) this weekend?

Steve

68l30
07-24-2002, 04:33 PM
I'm not quite sure on Central Chevrolet being in Cleveland.If I remember correctly the spelling is different on the Ohio dealer.I'll check my notes later..........

Steve

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-24-2002, 06:52 PM
Steve;
There were two Central Chev. in Ohio. I think this one was in Cleveland (at least that's what the Yenko inventory records say, but they are not always accurate as to per particular towns), the other one was in Hamilton, OH which is a suburb of Cincinnati. Is there another Central Chev. that this car might have been raced out of??

68l30
07-24-2002, 09:03 PM
I don't know what I was thinking,thats why I take notes.Here is a warranty reminder slip from Central Chevrolet Inc. in Cleveland Oh.This is stuck on the rear of a 68 waranty booklet.My records also show Central Motor Co. in Hamilton.Does anyone have documentation of a Central/Hamilton car,or one of Central/Hamilton as a Network dealer prior to 71(Vegas).My list of dealers is dated 6 months after the photo(not much help there).I guess were back on the trail of this Nova.......

Steve

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-24-2002, 09:14 PM
Steve;
Thanks for the pic!

Ed Cunneen's silver deuce was sold out of Central in Hamilton, OH but that is the only Yenko that know of being sold out of that dealer. That is rare with the Deuces, most dealers received at least 3 cars, but it's possible that 3 different dealers within close proximity to each other could have received 1-2 each. Glockner Chev. in Portsmouth, OH appears to have only received one Deuce, so maybe there's a third dealer with only car to make the '3'.
Just a theory.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-25-2002, 12:46 PM
Steve;
I can't make out the salesperson's name on that pic of the warranty slip, can you?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-26-2002, 03:04 PM
Apparently, Gilchrist only remembers this car being at Thompson Dragway this one time, and he took two photos of it. The decal on the q/panel is AHRA, and Thompson was an AHRA track at that time. What other drag strips were in the area back in the day?

68l30
07-27-2002, 12:26 AM
I still have to dig that card out,I haven't forgotten.Bare with me...Norwalk Raceway(Norwalk Dragway in the day)was also AHRA as well as Dragway 42......

Steve

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-01-2002, 06:11 PM
Got the prints today, they are even better quality than I remember them from 2.5 years ago!!

The car appears to be running in some type of modified class, obviously, since there is no front bumper, slicks, raised hood, etc... Did AHRA or NHRA have a modified class called '3'?? The number on the windshield is '3EA', so I'm thinking it's E-Automatic but not sure on the '3'.

Lots of other little details in these two pics, very cool. Still looking for the car /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

68l30
08-03-2002, 05:22 PM
OK,the Central salesmens name in 1968 is....... Arthur Kirkpatrick.
Sorry for the delay.. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Steve