PDA

View Full Version : Drive em up or winch em up?

69rsss350
07-24-2002, 01:42 PM
I just bought a Pace American Shadow 22' trailer for those far away overnight shows and was wondering if you guys drive in or winch in. If you winch them up, why, and where do you connect the winch to the car and do you use anything to protect the car at the connection area? Thanks in advance.
Mike

68l30
07-24-2002, 09:13 PM
I always thought it depended on if you could open your doors once inside the trailer.If it's broken or no room winch it.....

Steve

NWYENKO
07-25-2002, 01:58 PM
I bought a Pace 20' 4 years ago and have never used the wench. The great thing about these trailers is the low wheelwell inside. I have hauled numerous cars and have always been able to get in and out in the trailer and I am 6'2" and 215. I put a rubber bump strip on the inside trailer wall at the driver door just in case. You can also slip one of those door bumpers dealers use on the door while loading and unloading just to be safe. We do a lot of shows out of the area and really love the trailer. Jim

69rsss350
07-25-2002, 02:34 PM
I bought the trailer with unfinished floor and sides. The fender wells measure 11" and I measured my door opening at 11 1/2". I plan to tile the floor and put in some kind of aluminum tread plate (diamond cut?). This should raise the car up a little more, so hopefully getting in and out shouldn't be a problem. I live in Albuquerque and plan to attend the Super Chevy Shows in Denver (465 m.) and Tucson (450 mi.) What vehicle do you use to tow? I have a 99 K1500 Suburban 5.7L and am a little concerned that it might stuggle.

NWYENKO
07-25-2002, 02:48 PM
I bought the trailer with the interior finish pkg. Afriend of mine used a rubber floor he purchased from Griot's Garage. The first year we towed with a 5.7 liter in a Z71 1/2 ton, the next year we went to a 6 liter 3/4 ton. This year we bought a HD2500 with the Duramax diesel and Allison trans. To go anywhere from here we have to cross the mountains and the new truck has really been fun to tow with. We would get about 9 mpg with the 6 liter and are getting 12-13 mpg with the new truck at 65mph. Jim

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-25-2002, 02:53 PM
Jim;
You don't have a big door in the left side to open the car door through? I always thought that was a necessity, as well as building up the floor with 2x12's to clear the fenderwell. I have been looking at trailers, but Dad's truck would strain under the load so I need my crew cab dually first /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif Now, how do I convince Karen /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

NWYENKO
07-25-2002, 03:04 PM
Marlin (welcome back by the way!!), no side door. All of our cars clear the wheelwell fine. Will not happen in a Featherlite and a lot of others. My new truck is the crewcab shortbox 4WD and I just love it. Get 15-16mpg driving back and forth to work. Even carried a '78 Corvette for a friend and was able to get in and out. Jim

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-25-2002, 03:36 PM
Jim;
What's this 'work' stuff?? I thought you retired and were taking it easy with the Y-Nova, Y-Camaro and L79!!
/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

NWYENKO
07-25-2002, 03:50 PM
Marlin, you must have missed the stock mkt. news, of course I am still working!! Actually about 24-28 hrs a week this time of year and 50+ for about 2 1/2 months in the winter. Jim

69rsss350
07-26-2002, 12:47 AM
I solved the towing problem today by buying a 3/4 ton big block Suburban (4x4) at the local dealer auction, will sell the half ton now. Both are LT's. the half ton has 40K on it, anybody interested in it? Will sell for NADA wholesale. I know the big block is gonna get horrible mileage but that is the price you pay for having big boy toys!

VETTEGUY
08-08-2002, 05:35 PM
Here's my rule of thumb for putting a car in an enclosed trailer: If I'm alone, I always use a winch. For me, it's very difficult to judge position from either side of the trailer when pulling in. I usually run into a wheel well or at least scrape a tire against it. You did the right thing to increase your towing capacity. A half ton PU will not safely tow a 22' trailer at highway speeds. Many will say that it's no problem for them, but they haven't had to make an emergency stop-YET. Best of luck to you.

Kurt S
08-16-2002, 04:33 AM
Tha 3/4 ton will tow better driving-wise, much more stable at speed. But power-wise, the rear gear is the important factor.
Most of the big trailers are towed by 2WD, not 4WD. You gain quite a bit towing capacity with 2WD.

69rsss350
08-20-2002, 05:06 AM
Kurt, just got back from the Denver SuperChevy Show and the 3/4 ton was very stable and the trailer pulled straight and true, no problems. The big hills did drag it down quite a bit and I used ALOT of gas. I will check the rear end ratio, what do you recommend? The 4x4 came in handy when I pulled into one of the Camaro's previous owners field when picking up some original parts for the car. Couldn't back up to turn around because of the incline, so I made a big loop on a fairly steep hill, put it 4 low and it was a breeze.
BTW: The turquoise camaro took class runner up.