PDA

View Full Version : Who is Bill Thompson?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-03-2002, 09:07 PM
Anybody know who Bill Thompson is? I'm assuming he was a salesperson for Yenko Chev, possibly for the used cars area.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-04-2002, 06:33 PM
On July 29, 1970, Yenko SportsCars published Bulletin #4 which included a locater list for dealers in the network. One of the cars that was listed was a:

"Used 1969 YENKO 427 CAMARO--Huggar Orange Turbo; ready for the strip and used on the street; black vinyl roof; electric fuel pump; special springs; KONI's; $1000-plus spent on engine; AM radio. Yenko Chevrolet, Canonsburg, PA. Bill Thompson 412-745-0100"

This is Yenko's phone #. When Bulletin #5 came out on August 12, 1970 this car was no longer listed, but the other two on the list were still available. One is a '69 427 Camaro still on the lot at Colonial (might be Holub's car), and a '69 427 Nova still on the lot at Stauffer (probably Kevin's car).

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-07-2002, 09:53 PM
Not surprising, I never heard of Bill Thompson either. I was hoping somebody knew of him, and he could shed some light on how they handled used Supercars.

The real eye opener on these two bulletins is a reference to the '69 Yenko Nova as having Mag Wheels. To my knowledge, this is the only reference made to Mag Wheels on a '69 Yenko Nova. Ironically, I believe this is the only '69 Yenko Nova 'without' the Mag Wheels today!

The entire description of this car is as follows:

NEW 1969 YENKO 427 NOVA--Full factory warranty with 90 days or 4000 miles on drive train; Garnet Red; 427 CID 425-hp engine; 800 CFM 4-barrel Holley carb/hi-rise manifold; 4.10:1 differential/posi, HD suspension; Power Discs Front; Four-speed Close-ratio Transmission; Transistorized Tach; <font color="red"> </font color> 7x14 "WT" Mag Wheels/F70x14 tires. <font color="black"> </font color> Roy Stauffer Chevrolet Sales; Scranton, Pennsylvania. Mr. Harry Karl 717/343-1221. Price--$3150.00.

I'm not sure what 'WT' Mag Wheels are? Any ideas? (Whitetop?)

copolocater
10-07-2002, 10:13 PM
Just a guess Marlin . WIDE TIRE Have you spoken to Bill Bauer who used to work in the service department?

SuperCars
10-07-2002, 10:26 PM
Marlin, I recieved the fax just fine. It is very legible and really cool, Thanks. Since my 69 sYc Nova is Garnet Red and went to Stauffer Chevrolet, it sure appears to be my car, unless Stauffer received more than one red one.

Vince shows my sYc Nova (01A build date) as having the earliest VIN on his list of VIN's and Yenko stock numbers, (actually the first sYc Nova w/automatic was cancelled) yet this ad at Stauffer is much later in July/Aug 1970?

I have a set of 14" restored Atlas wheels here destined to go on the Nova before you found this ad, just need to get them mounted.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-07-2002, 10:36 PM
Kevin;
I can't see Stauffer having two Garnet Red 427 '69 Yenko Novas, so I believe this car is yours as well. It must have been sitting there for a while, the bulletins are dated July and August of '70! Can Vince tell from his sheets when Stauffer took delivery from Yenko? That would give us an idea of how long Stauffer had it. Also, can Vince confirm that Stauffer only received one Garnet Red 427 Nova so we can conclude this to be your car?

Tim;
Were there any wheels with a different brand name (like ET) referred to as WT Mags?

We don't believe these wheels to be the SS style because they wouldn't have bothered to change just the tires from 'E's to 'F's.

copolocater
10-07-2002, 10:43 PM
Marlin I can't remember any WT wheels.We use to use the same letters for wide tire or wide tread when I was at the dealership.Just a guess thats what came to my mind.

bauer
02-25-2003, 11:01 PM
Bill Thompson was the General Sales Manager of Yenko Chevrolet.

skipusmc
04-09-2003, 02:14 AM
Bill Thompson raced the Yenko Stinger (Corvair)in the SCCA. I believe he won the SCCA championship in D Production in '67. I don't know if he actually worked at the Yenko dealership.

sYc
04-09-2003, 03:04 AM
You are thinking of Jerry Thompson, who raced with Don and at times drove for Yenko Chevrolet. Another famous Thompson, assoicated with Yenko was Dr. Dick thompson, who was most noted for racing Corvettes, including the Grand Sport.