PDA

View Full Version : Headers and Exhaust on COPO Camaro

Jeff Murphy
10-06-2002, 04:06 PM
Note: Copy of post in "Technical and Restoration Questions". Thanks to those of you who already posted there.

I was thinking of installing a set of headers on my 69 COPO Camaro just for fun for a while and had a few questions:

1. Doug's or Thorley's?
2. Chrome or ceramic?
3. 1 3/4" x 3" or 2" x 3 1/2"
4. Who makes the best mandrel bent systems?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Chevy454
10-06-2002, 06:22 PM
Jeff:

Here's what I found. From what I have saw, if you are running anything but the original manifolds, get them Jet coated! It's not quite as shiny as chrome (which I like), but looks killer, and will be so forever. I believe there was a ZL-1(?) at the Reunion that had a set of Jet coated headers...check your pictures and see. The ceramic coating is Ok, but it won't keep it's look, and even when new, they don't hold a candle to the Jet coated headers in the looks department.

Now, for exhaust systems. This is where it gets interesting! This is largely based on which muffler(s) you want to run. No one, and I mean NO ONE, makes a mandrel 2.5" system that uses a stock looking transverse muffler...well, I think Stainless Works told me they could bend me up a system, but I would have to leave the car for a couple of weeks, and it would set me back about $2500! And that wasn't even stainless pipe! Flowmaster has a 2.5" mandrel bent system that uses their transverse muffler (which is what we currently run), but is made for headers. No big deal, just order a 45 and 90 bend from JC Whitney and make yourself some headpipes. But, if you can live with running dual mufflers in front of the axle, darn near everyone carries mandrel systems from 2" to 4" in diameter. The only other way to go is to go with a factory correct system from Gardner, which is first class, but is as crooked as a dog's hind leg...just like the factory.

Did I help?!? /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Jeff Murphy
10-06-2002, 07:51 PM
Yes, you helped. Clearly there's no simple answer, which is what I suspected anyway. Thanks.

Seattle Sam
10-07-2002, 04:41 AM
I agree with Rob, Jet-hot coating works great. It also helps to conduct heat away from the heads and out of the engine compartment. Looks last a long time too.
http://www.jet-hot.com/

Three inch mandrel bent works great for flow. Sounds great with Flowmaster mufflers, too. After I drove my Chevelle this way for a year, I added "bullet" mufflers to the system to reduce the resonance - but it was my daily driver at the time!

ford26t
10-08-2002, 02:55 AM
The best coating to use is stainless it will hold the shine & outlive all the rest the co is in florida baxter engineering 1-904-829-6075