PDA

View Full Version : Yenko dealer ads - please post 'em if you have 'em

hotrodchev
10-23-2002, 05:19 PM
Yenko dealer ads - please post them if you have them! I believe it would be a real asset to this group if we could encourage others to share their local (hometown) ads on this website. All of the Grossman Chevrolet ads that I have posted here earlier were quite honestly found accidentally as I working on another project researching and writing about Minnesota's drag racing history. The technique is simple and only requires your time and patience and a trip to your local library or historical society. Best place to start is with old newspapers which can usually be found and viewed on microfiche at either of these locations. I have found the sports and classifieds ads sections of the newspaper to be the best place to look to find these types of ads. Another idea I recommend, is to search for publications that were sold in or around the area of the Yenko dealership. This would include locally published magazines, newsletters, flyers and even special event programs such as the annual auto show. Sure it's time consuming, but trust me, it's well worth the effort when you make your first, second or third discovery. Not to mention the gain of valuable information that is sometimes contained in these ads that would ultimately help lead to the discovery of more long-lost Yenko's.

I hope this is an inspiration for some to keep digging!

Tim "Hotrodchev"

Fhakya
10-24-2002, 09:31 AM
Are you also looking for Minnesota Dragway info also? I have a friend who used to be big into the Drag/street racing scene in the Mpls/St. Paul area during the 'heyday' (late 60's/ early 70's). I could contact him and forward this post to him if interested. His connections are mostly old friends etc but he's computer literate and could possibly be coerced into contributing for the sake of archiving alone.
-Mark

SS427
10-24-2002, 11:30 AM
Mark,
What was your friend driving back in those days. Was he also a frequenter of Porkies and the Sun Drive Inn?
Rick

hotrodchev
10-24-2002, 12:49 PM
Hello Mark,

That would be great, I would really appreciate any new leads. Besides writing about our drag racing past, I've also been involved with preserving it as well. Two of my main goals are to build a photo archive identifying as many cars and drivers as possible and also to document significant dates and events in our drag racing history. Attached is a photo of 1/2 of the original 1959 scale model of Minnesota Dragways. At present, I'm currently helping another gentleman with the restoration of this model to bring it back to it's original appearance. Many great drivers have raced at this track at one time or another which includes; Dick Harrell, Don Garlits, Don Prudhomme, Tom McEwen, Jungle Jim, Arnie Beswick, TV Tommy Ivo and local famed drivers such as Tom Hoover, Bill Schifsky, John Hagen and Warren Johnson to name just a few. Minnesota Dragways closed in 1976 and became a test track for Yamaha for many years. Only recently has it been it sold, completely dug up, and replaced with new homes. Truly a sad sight to see!

Tim "Hotrodchev"
1968 Nova S.S.
1968 Chevelle S.S.
1969 Chevelle S.S.
1972 Cheyenne Super SWB

hotrodchev
10-24-2002, 12:55 PM
Here's an article with a picture showing the model as it looked in 1959. Also pictured in the photo is the late John Foster who was manager of Minnesota Dragways for 25-years.

hotrodchev
10-24-2002, 01:07 PM
Just one more pic and I'll shut up already /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif Here's one of Dick Harrell in his short-lived Chevy II at Minnesota Dragways in '68. /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

SS427
10-24-2002, 01:23 PM
Tim,
Were you ever able to hook up with Troy H., the stepson of the track owners widow and acquire pictures from him? Hopefully he had many photographs to share with you.
Rick